Gp32x.com + Google Chrome = Malware Alert

tridion

Still Fresh
Could the website developers please explain why Google Chrome alerts the user to gp32x.de using malware on their site. I get the following error:

Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!
The website at www.gp32x.de contains elements from the site fwt.txdnl.com, which appears to host malware - software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer.
For detailed information about the problems with these elements, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for fwt.txdnl.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using Firefox with NoScript and Perspectives and don't receive that error. Just google-analytics.com and gp32x.de :blink:

I think that's where the virus that has appeared on the site a couple of times was hosted, although afaik this site is currently clean...

Hey I just had the same thing happen to me. I've been using chrome all day, have only had 1 major problem, it doesn't seem to recognize the up motion on my scroll wheel. When scrolling up, it just keeps going down, tried really fast, and really slow, and it just scrolls down no matter what I do. Videos work fine, downloads, I also like how fast it is, I currently am a Opera Fanboy, and love opera to death. I have ff3 installed, and I honestly don't like it that much.

However Chrome runs very quickly, and smoothly.....still has some quirks but I like it.

DSR

Chrome is no faster than Firefox 3 and less smooth. There are many features missing and on pages that use heavy use of javascript the rendering engine slows to a crawl compared to FF3. Then there is the memory usage...

Peter R said:
Chrome is no faster than Firefox 3 and less smooth. There are many features missing and on pages that use heavy use of javascript the rendering engine slows to a crawl compared to FF3. Then there is the memory usage...

Honestly......the memory usuage is slightly more than ie and fire fox....if you read and try the example in the review on anandtech......I just did. I opened 5 windows in chrome and in IE, and found chrome to use about 30-40 more mb of memory. But closing 3 of them in chrome and IE, chrome now uses 10 mb less. The speed I find is quicker than firefox. Firefox runs things nicely, but that's because you have everything cached. When I first tried chrome, it ran quickly. And slows things down just a tad when that page has alot of stuff.

I dunno...for a beta, its not half bad.

DSR

dsraa said:
Peter R said:

Honestly......the memory usuage is slightly more than ie and fire fox....if you read and try the example in the review on anandtech......I just did. I opened 5 windows in chrome and in IE, and found chrome to use about 30-40 more mb of memory. But closing 3 of them in chrome and IE, chrome now uses 10 mb less. The speed I find is quicker than firefox. Firefox runs things nicely, but that's because you have everything cached. When I first tried chrome, it ran quickly. And slows things down just a tad when that page has alot of stuff.

I dunno...for a beta, its not half bad.

DSR

30-40MB is not just "a bit" ;)

Actually, not I made sure all my caches were cleared. Chrome ran noticably slower on 3 different PC's ranging from a 1Ghz celeron to a 1.81Ghz Core2Duo.

Certianly it's faster than IE anyway but that is hardly a huge achievement.

On my machine (2.2GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2, 1GB RAM) Chrome starts and renders noticeably faster than Firefox, although it uses a lot (about 30MB) more memory initially (this changes after opening and closing lots of Firefox tabs) - which is to be expected, as each tab is a separate process and the common memory space that exists in most browsers does not in Chrome. The sad plugin/sad tab thing is very very nice indeed and I love the idea to bits. Javascript has been very speedy for me and scrolling is much smoother.

Here's waiting for a Linux release!

It may be true that Firefox and Chrome are similar in speed, when using only a few tabs. But for me I really notice other browsers slowing everything down as soon as I have many tabs open. Opera is my default browser and I usually have around 30 tabs open, and it really slows it down. Not only that but it also go up to around 500 MB of memory usage.
I haven't quite got up to 30 tabs with Chrome yet, but I'm halfway there, 15. And it's _still_ just as fast as if I only had one tab open and at just over 100 MB memory usage.

I'm quite impressed by it's speed and looks, but it lacks many features such as content filter from Opera or the AdBlock+ add-on for Firefox. Something I don't think is going to be added because google have their own ads that they don't want people to filter. I also love mouse-gestures from Opera, can't live without it, makes navigating the web so much quicker. Also saving open tabs after you close and re-open the browser. As I have a couple of hundreds of bookmarks in Opera and they're not organized at all I might as well have my most used pages open in tabs all the time.

But not bad at all.
For the actual subject of this topic, I don't get a Malware Alert with Chrome on this site.

30-40MB is not just "a bit" ;)

It is......when you have 2-3 GB of Ram.....:)

DSR

Burbruee said:
I'm quite impressed by it's speed and looks, but it lacks many features such as content filter from Opera or the AdBlock+ add-on for Firefox. Something I don't think is going to be added because google have their own ads that they don't want people to filter.
I wonder if that will mean there won't be any add-ons, because that and NoScript would be two of the first to be created. Unless they build a lot of the functionality of add-ons into the browser, which could potentially bloat it, then FF would remain more flexible.

nickspoon said:
Javascript has been very speedy for me and scrolling is much smoother.
Have you turned on Smooth Scrolling in Firefox? I'm finding the scrolling choppy as hell and even worse than IE :S

Peter R said:
Have you turned on Smooth Scrolling in Firefox? I'm finding the scrolling choppy as hell and even worse than IE :S
Smooth scrolling is, of course, on :p

Chrome uses more memory because it stores every tab in a separate environment for security reasons.

Aside from its speed, it has a lot of neat features, like the ease of managing quick search keywords, to the checkbox on alert dialogs to prevent the site from displaying any more, to the history search which actually searches page content.

I find it starts up instantly and the 'launch site as application' is really useful for slipzone and a few other sites. Being able to drag tags into a new window is awesome too, and the speed dial page is great fun.

It's mainly missing developer tools of Firebug quality, and adblock. But extensions are coming!

Yes, but the main codebase is very restricted, much like Firefox. It's difficult for outsiders to commit code. Extensions don't really belong in the main codebase anyway.

But one needs only to look at google maps widgets, google desktop, iGoogle etc. to see that most of their apps can be extended by users really easily.

Back