Beta Gparted

xopher said:
Thanks for this little gem. :) Works as expected I've found zero faults.

Thanks for feedback. Did you try to modify partitions with it ? (I didn't, last time I plyed with it I lost about 10M of data at the start of my hard-drive with no formal backup : i have lost lots of work, so I tend to be carefull now)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok,

I've seen many report that this is not working (It's a shame these didn't came here... Oh well...)

I got a second sdcard so now I can actually test. And here is what I get in the log (/tmp/pndrun_gparted.log) :
Code:
Partition(s) 8 on /dev/mmcblk1 have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use.  As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use.  You should reboot now before making further changes.

After a bit of googling I found this. So I updated to the lastest SVN, only to discover that this patch havent been applied. I applied it anyway. And it seems to works now.
As this patch transform the error as a warning, you will need to un-plug then replug the card before futher usage.

Download at the usual place.

I had the same error as above, so updated to the latest pnd which fixed that error but it still has problems for me. I'm trying to create an EXT3 partition (same error with EXT2 too) and I get the error message

/dev/mmcblkp1 is mounted, will not make a filesystem here!

When I first inserted the SD card, I had to unmount using the 'partition' menu. Just downloaded Parted Magic for the PC and it formatted the card to EXT3 first time, no issues.

GParted - Queued actions fail as some background process seems to intervene by automatically re-mounting

Examples of failure

The normal way (which works on other Linuxes)
1) GParted > Unmount a certain partition
2) Programs works, and refreshes the device view, device shown as unmounted.
## Remark: Switching to Thunar still shows the volume mounted!
3) Format your certain partition, Apply. Fails with message:
mke2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
<your drive and partition path> is mounted; will not make a filesystem here!

Failing Workaround:
1) GParted runs
2) Thunar > Right click on volume > Unmount
Error message:
Unable to unmount "<drive label>":
The enclosing drive for the volume is locked
## Remark: Probably locked by GParted

Working workaround:
1) Close all apps
2) Thunar > Right click on volume > Unmount
3) Start GParted and do your stuff there.
## Remark: The problem is that this only works for single partition drives. As soon as you queue multiple actions in GParted, and then apply them, the first action is performed, and then the further actions fail. Why? The first action is performed, then the unknown background mechanism already mounts a created volume, and further commands such as change partition label, or create fruther partitions fail, because the first partition was already mounted, hence the drive locked fro further modifications.

GParted - Reduce icon size in toolbar so all icons can be seen at once

Due to current lack of space, the "Cancel" and "Apply" button are inside the dropdown menu, which is cumbersome to access each time.

Wasn't sure where to post this, please forgive the resurrection.

I recently tried to use GParted on the Pandora to format a 3 TB internal drive in a "toaster" style sled. Gparted crashes nearly immediately every time I try to write a new partition arrangement to the drive. It's not really a problem, I have other means. Just wondering if there was some specific reason it didn't work that I should be aware of?

Probably just that it's seven year old code at best, and back then such big discs probably didn't exist.

I suspect there may be a hole in the market for an updated version of this or something else. In the mean time partx seems to be in the distribution, but it's not interactive, so you have to prepare a command line then execute it. Documentation is available at 'partx --help'. I didn't check for the presence of gdisk or fdisk though.

Cool I'll check that out. I was going to post a picture on the interwebs about how useful the Pandora was, but then ran into this problem. Ah well.

Back