Release Darkplaces (Quake Engine)

sebt3

homebrew player (P. & C.)
Website
sebt3.openpandora.org
Hi there,

Here is Darkplaces (the original sources supported GLESv2 already, btw)

It's an heavyly modified Quake 1 engine. Beside shaders, this engines does support q3 formal model and is the base of some games.

For more info, see here.

Download the binary here.

I dont know what should I do with the packaging :

- One PND with an icon for each supported game

- One PND per supported game

Your Q would be welcome.

Controls are configurables, but some Q on default control to set would be welcome too.

Below a few screenies from my pandora :

quake1.png
quake2.png
steelstorm1.png

steelstorm2.png

Wow, you surprice me everytime a little more :)

Hope this one is stable on my Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:

Really

need decent nub controls for mouselook, the current crop of Quakes fail quite hard at that. One icon per game sounds excellent. WIll test when I get home this afternoon!

D.

Hmm Transfusion a blood total conversion (Multiplayer only) runs on the Darkplaces engine.. have to wonder if this will run it..

When do you plan to release a PND ?
When :

- I'll have tested all the games I want to test/check with this engine

- I'll get sensible information on how the control should be setup

RetroBlazer works, with "fog" value set to 0 and OC @ 850 MHz, ~10-20 FPS.
Thanks man !

You're actually the first to play it on pandora as I haven't yet had time to setup this one. Nice to know it is playable. (btw, it's your thread about this game that made me reboot that port ; previous try was an unter-failure :D )

Any idea for the default controls for this game ?

Hmm Transfusion a blood total conversion (Multiplayer only) runs on the Darkplaces engine.. have to wonder if this will run it..
Yep, that was on my testing lisst

Really

need decent nub controls for mouselook, the current crop of Quakes fail quite hard at that.

D.
More on this would be welcome !

So far we have :

- Quake (disabled particules) 25-30fps - playable

- Steelstorm (minimum settings) 3-5fps - NOT playable

- Nexuiz 3-5 fps (and a good black screen) - NOT playable

- RetroBlazer (disabled fog) 10-20fps - playable

To test :

- Transfusion

- Berseker Quest

- The hunted

- Xonotic (no high hope on this one as it's a fork of Nexuiz)

- open Quartz

- the different Quake mission pack (at least -rogue and -hipnotic)

- Strap-on-bomb

and probably a few others I'm forgetting :)

I decided to go with the 1PND per game, so I can ship each game with its own default setting. And each game will have his own appdata.

I'll produce PND once I get the controls and fixed a bug or 2 (like that SDL_ShowCursor bugger)

OK. I'll bite!

DPad - move/strafe.

Right Nub - look. Make sure you can invert the look in the Y-Axis at the user's discretion.

Y - Next weapon

X - Previous weapon

Number keys should retain weapon choosing.

User's choice if L-Shoulder should be fire and R-Shoulder should be run, or vice-versa.

Jump has to go in, so maybe autorun with jump on the unused shoulder.

I'll add more if I think of anything. Actually, I'll ask my son.

...Edit:

Ha! Totally forgot:

Do NOT use the right nub for mouselook, with the nub set to mouse mode. Joystick mode would allow proper graduation of look-speed. Having said that, it might be nice to have a graduated movement mode for the left nub - further you push, the faster you go (although in Quake it might be OK to just set say, half a push to walk, any further runs).

...Edit 2:

The way that SoC uses the mouse is probably acceptable for quake also - intercept mouse movements and either measure dx/dy with wrap-around to get acceleration. Another way would be after reading, reset the mouse position to the centre of the screen - in theory you should get decent dx/dy readings but in practice I think that might fail - it may well be how the current Quakes do it.

D.

I decided to go with the 1PND per game, so I can ship each game with its own default setting. And each game will have his own appdata.
I think its the best option...thanks for porting this :) Hope to play something at good frame rate on my Pandora.....(256MB ram)

Anyway those pandora pics are very great :)

Transfusion works fairly well.. but has some issues..

you need to rename the darkplaces executable to transfusion-glx for it to launch.

It's a bit sluggish at 600mhz, It seems responsive at 1Ghz, but may be playable at 800mhz.. There are bot players so maybe limiting those may help a bit.

There is a menu option for singleplayer, but it was never put in the game.. But multiplayer does, and like I said there are bots too..

It seems not all maps seem to load, but the many of the blood bath ones seem to fine.. I get some white textures in the bb2 map.. must be a fluke second time on load it was fine..

Edit: on more play, some of the weapon effects especially the voodoo doll and rocket launcher seems to bog it down pretty harsh..

Do NOT use the right nub for mouselook, with the nub set to mouse mode. Joystick mode would allow proper graduation of look-speed. Having said that, it might be nice to have a graduated movement mode for the left nub - further you push, the faster you go (although in Quake it might be OK to just set say, half a push to walk, any further runs).
Giving nub status to the joystick handling of the engine would be rather easy (vid_sdl.c 542 void VID_BuildJoyState to rewrite), but that also mean forcing both nub as joystick leaving the user with only the touchscreen as mouse.

Ho well I guess that's expected, no ?

Giving nub status to the joystick handling of the engine would be rather easy (vid_sdl.c 542 void VID_BuildJoyState to rewrite), but that also mean forcing both nub as joystick leaving the user with only the touchscreen as mouse.

Ho well I guess that's expected, no ?

For bonus points, set nubs to joystick on entry to the game, and back to mouse in the menus :p

Also, can we not use up/down and one of the face buttons for menu navigation?

D.

Please please please add support for both a USB Mouse and USB Numpad.

You would be my hero. :)

Will we not be able to set up our keyconfig ourselves?

My choice would be:

dpad for movement

both shoulder buttons for strafe left/right

A for fire

X for jump

Y next weapon

B for previous weapon

autorun could be the 'O' keyboard key

'P' for pause / menu

left AND right nub for look IF you can get it working better than we have at the moment.

I just have a few free time lately, sorry 'bout that.

I just had time to test a few games :

- openQuartz 25-30fps - playable

- theHunted 5-25fps depending on the lighting (strange I know) - barely playable

- dsn would probably be playable if the 3d objects would render xD (and I dont know why either)

strap-boom-car is not available on the web any more :(

I wasnt able to make berseker Quest working. That was my last hope to actually enjoy this port as steelstorm is not playable and I'm not into fps. If you can find a way to start BQ using darkplaces (be it on desktop) that would make me an happy man ;)

and I cant test quake missions pack as I dont own them. It left xonotic and dsx (damn small xonotic) to test, but I somehow expect the same result as nexuiz.

anyway, time to package ;)

Ok first package out for testing here : http://repo.openpand...&app=darkplaces

I've gone with Dunny's suggestion on control (but not the bonus points) but that's configurable.

Feedback welcome.

EDIT:

added OpenQuartz : http://repo.openpand...&app=openquartz

will add the others once I get a nap ;p

EDIT2: re-uploaded both, with better control, and openQuartz got the data included.

Since I got a conversation with the steel storm author, they pointed me that the game is more CPU bond than GPU bond.

So I disabled sound and overclocked to my max speed (1000Mhz), here is the result :

https://www.youtube.com/embed/roW6yYHa37I?feature=oembed
So now I know that if I want to make it playable I need to get more CPU juice. I'll work on that ;)

This is AWESOME! However, I can't seem to get any controls to work. It's playing a demo, and nothing is responding. I placed all the config files where they should be, but nothing. Please help!

This is AWESOME! However, I can't seem to get any controls to work. It's playing a demo, and nothing is responding. I placed all the config files where they should be, but nothing. Please help!

Press ESCape (Fn+Q) to get to the menu, then use the dpad and enter to navigate the menu.

D.

Press ESCape (Fn+Q) to get to the menu, then use the dpad and enter to navigate the menu.

D.

Thanks! Also, does anyone know if this port can run quake 3 maps? I know windows darkplaces can, but I'm not sure if this one can. Great job porting this!

Back