GPD WIN 10 gamepad system manual

But what the holy hell is this post? Is this propaganda from GPD or just some fanboy/advertiser?

Don't update your device, install antivirus software, or change any settings away from the default config, suggesting people first go and pirate games but if they choose to install legitimately go to steam, watch videos in a virtual machine rather than the native OS?? Is this real life?

I think it's just sarcasm from someone who's not a fan of the Win. It made me smile, but that's about all I have to say about it.

... Sure it needs some firmware fixes still...

If they have stock, some work arounds will pop up but I suspect it is easier for them to do so on android than win, so best push the trouble to the user and MS.
If their stock is close to gone, don´t worry, GPD WIN 2++ will be announced soon promising all fixes in the world. :D

If they have stock, some work arounds will pop up but I suspect it is easier for them to do so on android than win, so best push the trouble to the user and MS.
If their stock is close to gone, don´t worry, GPD WIN 2++ will be announced soon promising all fixes in the world. :D

I don't disagree that android devices are overall simpler devices than full computers. The firmware of a PC is usually just the bios and electronic components that have writable space on them. Android devices and other embeded system's firmware act differently in that the firmware and the OS are normally one in the same or at a minimum more intertwined. In some ways the PC has it easier, in others the android device has it easier.

For the specific problems this device is having they need to fix the bios and the EC's firmware from what I can tell. The sleep issues are maybe OS side and might just be a OS hotfix patch. I don't want to speculate on the complexity of the problems, but I imagine they will have an easier time with the bios problems than the OS ones.

I don't think they will be doing a WIN 2 anytime soon if at all with intel killing off it's atom line. I know problems with android devices are often swept under the rug and disregarded until the next device, even happens from major companies as well. Being a PC is different in that more love and care is needed and provided maybe due to the higher cost and larger community surrounding the specific chipset in use. These kinds of problems do seem to get fixed from big and small companies alike, I see bios updates for computers going on for years after release, fixing similar problems. So I have faith, I was just losing my mind that this (hopefully) shitpost was the official response from the company.

Actually, ARM based devices like android still have a separate bootloader, somewhat akin to PC's BIOS chips, although in some ways they're simpler (they don't support a curses user interface with dozens of settings for IRQs and things for example).

Actually, ARM based devices like android still have a separate bootloader, somewhat akin to PC's BIOS chips, although in some ways they're simpler (they don't support a curses user interface with dozens of settings for IRQs and things for example).

I understand, what I was trying to separate was the term "firmware" in reference to an android device, they are talking about all the bootloaders (PBL/SPL), the OS, and possibly cellular radio firmware in one full package, as rarely are they separated out in releases. When people refer to firmware on a PC they normally mean just the bios/uefi and EC's without the OS that's what I was trying to remove confusion from.

Last edited:
Back