GPD WIN 3

This looks incredible, the ultimate UMPC. Though I hope it'll be sent to reviewers before the IGG campaign starts, I might get the $799 one.

I'm worried about the DPAD placement, and the overall comfort: weight, heat, noise, and battery consumption.

I also hope that the fan can be turned off when underclocked at 7 watts.

I also hope that the fan can be turned off when underclocked at 7 watts.

You don't want to do that.

Picture from the Aya Neo Discord Channel:
Screenshot_20201221-233111.jpg

It also has analogue triggers and custom keys on the back you can define. Both models also come standard with 16GB RAM and a replaceable 1TB SSD.

Eo72yCIUcAECVy5

If that thing falls on the floor, very bad words will come out from the mouth.

Looking great.
I wish the screen was bigger, but during the unboxing it did not seem terribly small either :)

OK, now I want it. Damn you GPD... this thing is not cheap T.T

This is the 3rd main Win series that I'll get day one on IGG :3

Hmm, so which unit is which? I'm still confused. It is the silver or the black edition that's going to be exclusive to kickstarter? And which of those has the theoretically more powerful chip (although in practice that demo showed them to be much of a muchness at 15W). Also what's that game he's playing after he started Abe's Oddysee and before he started that Doom game? Was that just Abe's Oddysee? Cos that main character wasn't Abe, but to be fair I've not played that much of that game, so it might be another player character.

Hmm, so which unit is which? I'm still confused. It is the silver or the black edition that's going to be exclusive to kickstarter? And which of those has the theoretically more powerful chip (although in practice that demo showed them to be much of a muchness at 15W). Also what's that game he's playing after he started Abe's Oddysee and before he started that Doom game? Was that just Abe's Oddysee? Cos that main character wasn't Abe, but to be fair I've not played that much of that game, so it might be another player character.

I think silver is the limited run.

And it's the 1165 unit that has the more powerful chip over the 1135. But it seems at 15w , there is no difference between the two performance wise. You may only find some diff when you go to 20W which you probably only do when docked.

The GPD WIN 3 Indiegogo campaign starts January 15th at 10am Beijing time

OK, now I want it. Damn you GPD... this thing is not cheap T.T

This is the 3rd main Win series that I'll get day one on IGG :3

I checked the prices for the CPU alone. The Tiger Lake i7 costs over $400 if you are a customer who buys at least a number of 1000. Even with a good profit margin included, the Tiger Lake seems to be insane expensive in manufacturing. Fun fact, the recent Apple M1 Chip only costs ~$50 in the making, if the rumours are true.
Imagine, Apple would make such an Handheld Device with a M1 SoC...

I know some people have asked in the past how big GPD is.
the pic below is the GPD team as of a few years ago, now days they have about 70 people

1610336335987.png

Last edited:
I checked the prices for the CPU alone. The Tiger Lake i7 costs over $400 if you are a customer who buys at least a number of 1000. Even with a good profit margin included, the Tiger Lake seems to be insane expensive in manufacturing. Fun fact, the recent Apple M1 Chip only costs ~$50 in the making, if the rumours are true.
Imagine, Apple would make such an Handheld Device with a M1 SoC...
There are other costs to take into account such as the R&D, the software development, the QA, etc.
Even for the manufacturing cost itself, it can get complex: the cost for making a single chip can be low, but if you need to retool all your factories to make them e it'll actually be more costly. It also depends on your quality: if only 50% of your chips are good enough to pass QA, your actual cost will be twice the cost of a single chip.

Back