GPD WIN MAX ANNOUNCED

Yes, mostly clamshells with keyboards has been marginal for a lot of years. But also gpd xd was interesting. And of course the versatlity of the micropc is appealing to me.

Although I'm not specially attracted to any of its products. I admire they effort on devices with form factors or features that are different to anything on the market.

It's really refreshing in a market that focused in tablets and smartphones for the last 10 years.

It's nothing new though. The clamshell form factor of gaming devices that GPD keeps on making is basically just a micro laptop/netbook with gaming controls or imo they just copied Pandora.
As for the GPD XD form factor, it's just a Nintendo DS with 1 screen, instead of 2.

Imho, what GPD are doing is nothing new, is not refreshing and lacks zero effort...but is appreciated and welcomed by me.

Last edited:
I am missing Nokia a lot... it was always playing with very different kind of forms, but also when it was finding the "top" of a line it was constantly upgrading it while not changing its "soul".
Sony Ericsson was great too, even if not so innovating, like Nokia gave a lot of support for the devices, in the form of dev kits, documentation, and even softwares to update the firmware of their "feature-phones" (that anyway were a lot more useful than the ones that can be found now...)

The GPD seems somehow of the same idea, but compared to those two, it lacks a lot of support for its devices... they didn't even have to make the OS for them.

Yeah, Nokia were okay. I was especially glad that when my E61 broke after a few months of carrying it around in my jeans pocket, I simply took it to a shop and a week or two later they called me and told me I could pick up my replacement.

The only problem was they were beholden to the operators, and the operators didn't really know what would sell, but at least they were convinced that battery life was king. So they had to use underpowered processors that limited what you could do with their phones. When the iPhone came out rocking a 600MHz ARM core, Nokia's fastest cores were clocked at up to 200MHz absolute max from memory, and the screens were tiny and lacking in bling. Apple redefined the market; all of the things the operators kept telling Nokia were essential, from battery life to reception and call quality, are the things that are bottom of the pile from the iPhone and on, yet they still sold like the proverbial hot-cakes.

I was using my Nokia E71 up until last year though; I was on my third battery for it, but it kept rocking on. I'm not sure any device I were to buy from GPD would have that kind of longevity to it to be completely honest.

I'm happy with my Nokia 6310i, beats every modern Phone-device in Battery time easily. :cool:

There was a little article on notebookcheck about the GPD Win MAX, they say it could include a Vega 8 graphics chip which would beat the usualy used Intel integrated GFX unit almost towards the 4x, nice.
I'm also very curious about the final case design, we only have teasers yet but I'm sure GPD will not disappoint. :)

csm_WinMax2_26b9eb6183.jpg

The real pity is that the consumer electronics industry is so good at making people afraid of missing out. I've read journalistic articles claiming that it is impossible to survive in modern society without Google maps, Whatsagram instachatbook, and an "up-to-date" smartphone.

Unpicking that a little more, I think what's happened is that the natural instinct to follow the herd has been hijacked by advertising. The general population assumes that whatever works for everyone else will probably work for them - and that there's safety in numbers. The only problem is that the course the herd takes, led by puppets, is worse than random!

This gives anyone willing to live without approval from the masses a rarely-mentioned advantage - since even a randomly chosen direction is likely to have better outcomes for the individual than following the puppets. The same thinking leads to the conclusion that a considered choice of values can significantly outperform the herd, and that, therefore, popularity is a pretty useless indicator of anything else. (but so is unpopularity!)

Thank the FSM that online communities such as this make it possible for choice of social group to follow from choice of interest, where geography tends to force the opposite.

I've read journalistic articles claiming that it is impossible to survive in modern society without Google maps, Whatsagram instachatbook, and an "up-to-date" smartphone.

Looooool !! That's exactly what my friends constantly asks to me !! "How can you do without a smartphone ?!" "How can you possibly watch pictures and videos ?!" ...and the best of all... "How can you reach the restaurant ?!" (When it's also in my city...)

EDIT:
I also found a strange behavior that wasn't directly understandable to me... they put all the pictures on facebook (and I really mean ALL OF THEM), and then change the visibility to NONE...
So I asked "Why to put them in FB when you don't want to show them ?" and they replied "Because FB manages them for me, with date/location/people" ...

What's the batter life on your Nokia 6310i?
No clue actualy. The Phone itself obviously is stone old and still has it's orignal Battery pack. It was unused for years until I revived it 2017 with the usage of a prepaid card as emergency phone. I usualy switch it completely off and I maybe have charged it 2x since then. If you have it stand-by, the battery time still should be many weeks.

Also, it's gonna be a massive case!
I was able to handle the original first Atary Lynx, nothing can scare me anymore! :cool:

Back