GPD WIN MAX ANNOUNCED

Will there be an LTE version and SIM support?
Garraged stylus?
Linux support for all hardware?

I may have to get one of these then.

I nearly bought a $2K spec Lenovo X1 Yoga Gen 4 with LTE then found out it cannot do Linux on a full spec X1Y4. Game controls might just be better than pointing stick though... Seriously considering this one.

Anyone have any updates on this one? I haven't seen anything online about it since those prototype looking pictures were leaked. The only specs I've found were from:
https://hothardware.com/news/gpd-win-max-handheld-gaming-pc-leaks-amd-ryzen-embedded-apu
which is real old at this point.

So - any new news on this one? Any idea what quarter of what year they're likely to get it on the market?

I cannot really talk about it, but I suppose I can say there has been development issues.

Basically AMD provide almost zero support for embedded chips and basically no reference designs. BIOS and driver support is also very poor
This combined with the fact that everyone in China was trained to develop Intel HW not AMD- due to the fact Intel spends tons getting training material into education facilites in China.
The two things above mean it has been difficult

They have had to face perplexing issues with almost no help from AMD, as has everyone developing using AMD embedded,
This is the reason everyone that has tried to develop using AMD embedded has struggled.

TL;DR. AMD embedded is a shit show

As for when the Indiegogo will start , there is no solid answer as it depends on how they progress

Last edited:
I cannot really talk about it, but I suppose I can say there has been development issues.
Thank you for your candor. I'm still in the market for a new laptop-ish machine. I had some hopes that this might be around the corner. If only Linux support was better on the X1Y4 - and that it had an SD slot and... I keep trying to find something that is perfect-ish. I've delayed buying something to fill the laptop role for over a year.

I think that GPD should stick to Intel for the Win series. It worked pretty well with the Win2, the CPU part is excellent, and Gen 11 integrated GPUs are said to be 2x more powerful than Gen 9, and Gen 12 is also double Gen 11.

It might get delayed again, but if they could switch back to Intel with an equivalent to a Core M (maybe 4 cores this time?) + a Gen 12 iGPU, all of this at 12w TDP, we'll probably reach Xbox One level graphics in a handheld, not to mention the lower 720p target resolution - so basically all current gen games should be playable in a decent quality.

To my understanding, Intel currently has no equivalent in perf/watt to the 7nm Ryzen embedded. The AMD CPU may be 'weird', but may still prove to be the better choice. Hope they can get it sorted out.

I quite liked the noises AMD was making with their APU processors, namely the HSA (hererogeneous system architecure) features they've introduced. But if they've scuppered that with inadequate customer support (apart presumably from Microsoft and Sony, who use their chips in their consoles) then quite frankly, sod them.

I wonder if the 7nm version of the AMD embedded platform will be more or less pin/pad compatible with the 14nm version they were using in the GPD Win Max. If so, it might still make sense to just keep pushing forward with it.

I don't think it's AMDs fault but the way GPD thought working with AMD embedded would be like.
AMD embedded is a custom design department and not of-the-shelf stuff like Intel Atom and M-processors.
It more or less resembles the custom design of the Pyra (not in it's full complexity, but still).

Back