GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

Xcl4m4t10n

Advanced Member
Design%2525201_1.png

Design%2525201_2.png

Design%2525201_3.png

Yes, already being discussed here on this alternatives thread:
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/alternatives-to-the-pyra.76679/page-5#post-1362027

So far, nothing exists except for concept renderings (and AFAIK they started with that before the GPD XD already).

Looking at the keyboard, it either has VERY tiny buttons which are impossible to type or it will be more like a portable netbook in size.
The distance between both nubs also looks like it's twice as long as on the Pandora, so it looks like it's a 7" or 8" LCD.

Interesting device for home usage, that's for sure, I'll keep an eye on it (and maybe offer it in my shop, if they're looking for distributors), but it looks too big to be pocketable right now.
But as mentioned, that's based on what I can see here, nothing is known yet about it :)

Sorry but it really looks like a Pyra for the Poor. :D

I wouldn't say that, the design is a lot more modern looking than the Pyra.
But it looks a lot bigger. As mentioned above, the nubs distance and amount of keys is an indicator for the size, but also the thickness is an indicator.
If it would be as small as the Pandora / Pyra (with a 5" display), it wouldn't be big enough for a proper battery, so it would have... 2 - 3 hours battery life (my guess).

So my guess is it's 7" or 8", then it could also get a proper battery life.

Looks like very crude renders. I can shoot a guess that lower part of both thumbs might conflict/hit undesired keys when playing ,mostly cause of the lower curved design on the base. I could be wrong though. Lets wait and see how it comes out.
It really looks like a vaio or an eepc comeback with some game controls stuck somehow.

I suppose the title should be changed... Pandora and Pyra are not a category of devices... but "handheld" it is.

I find it interesting, the look is good, I hope more devices like that will come out, so prices will drop :D

The whole idea about making the device longer is to fit more keys. And then they made those keys smaller again by adding a whole numpad-ish thing. I don't get it. That could all be in the middle. Maybe that is a touchpad?

Fn button where catarl is supposed to be...
I know the rules are different with a handheld and two thumbs, but that manages to still be wrong.
And a windowsbutton (!), have some class.

They also copied the size of the edge-keys from where they are on a 10-finger board. Which doesn't make sense.
From a mechanical point of view, making the space that long adds complexity.

There are a lot of differences between the renders, so I guess they are in the process of making it.

Last edited:
Sorry but it really looks like a Pyra for the Poor. :D

That is not really fair actualy. It's design looks at least better and more "valuable" than the Pyra imho. Says nothing about the actual hardware but sleak devices like that sell usualy better than "bricky" ones. I like how thin the LCD lid is, of course it's only a rendering image yet...with ALOT of buttons...

... It's design looks at least better and more "valuable" than the Pyra...
What? Really? Looks like an asus eepc. The top part where the lower part of your thumb is going to be moving about has no curve. Maybe for typing it could be ok. But for gaming? I havent seen a game pad that way since the sega master system. That is doom, no wonder that was one of the things that got easen up on the Pyra.

Sorry but it really looks like a Pyra for the Poor.
Au contraire... it looks like a Pyra XL. And with a powerbutton next to your playing hand, very fast to turn off...

This is only a rough render to get user input. They have already made significant changes to get to this latest render. They are looking for user input over on the dingoonity forum . If you are keen on a windows gaming handheld with a keyboard included , let them know.

So far, suggestions for improvement including removing/moving the right columns of keys, has already been suggested - power etc need to be moved to the centre betwen the joysticks. As well as spacing the keys better.

So if you are keen for a Windows 10 Gaming handheld along with your Linux Pyra. This could be the ticket

It will be a Windows 10 Gaming handheld probably with a cherry trail SOC.

Last edited:
It looks nice but it's only a render. I can remember some nice GP32 follow-up devices that were never made.
Also the smach-z (or something sounding like that) was recently canceled, it looked nice, but it wasn't made.
If they build it, and it works, it could be a nice device.
But the Pyra also works because of the community, all devices are less valuable without good software.

It does look bigger more like a netbook, but how would the d-pad work with that set up? Not very well; I think it would be awkward to reach the d-pad properly.
It looks quite nice but maybe a little too sleek. Those look like PS vita style analogue sticks though which sounds like a good idea.

But I only have funds for one other device and you can guess what that is.

Any new device being brought to market which helps reversing the trend to make everything solely touch-controlled is a good thing in my opinion.
Nothing wrong with a touch-screen but physical keys are a must.

For a concept render, it looks quite interesting. The keyboard seems very tiny and the layout can be much improved (the power key placement in particular).

No specs are known yet, right?

I think their goal is for it to be the same size as the GPD XD they also make. ie probably around 155 x 89mm. So slightly smaller than a 3DS XL

They will make tweeks. That said said, I think the general styling of it is awesome. Reminds me of something I might see on the set of 2001 a Space Odessey. A sort of retro - futuristic design.

Last edited:
As nice as it would be with a proper Linux on it, I doubt it will ever see the light of day and with a design like this, the battery life wouldn't be good, I guess.
And yeah, the placement of the D-Pad makes it look uncomfortable.
It's not even far into the theoretical stage as it seems.

ED still seems to be the only one brave enough for something like this.
Sadly, I'll expect real life copycats as soon as the Pyra takes off with its big library of free software though, gaining from the pioneers here taking risks and coding stuff.

Looks ok - and having a larger LCD than the Pyra is a big plus for me. Currently only a render and we will have to see what the OS will be etc. If it will be produced this might become the first competition for the Pandora/Pyra since release of the Pandora. Too early to tell though.

The plan is for it to have a 5.5" screen and it will probably have the same 6000mAh battery as the GPD XD. Combined that with a low power Cherry Trail SOC using 14nm lithography. I think the battery life will be very good,

I see it more as the Windows complimentary version to the Pyra, rather than a competitor.

I suppose the title should be changed... Pandora and Pyra are not a category of devices... but "handheld" it is.

Better now?
[doublepost=1451257774,1451256828][/doublepost]Those rendering seem like nobody has really considered how the electronics are going to fit in.
The nubs look like they take up a huge ammount of depth, and x86 SOCs (especially running recent windows, in all its bloatedness) are going to need plenty of space for heat-dissipation.

Furthermore, the power button is in a stupid place.

Remember the panasonic "jungle"?
junglefever.jpg

Lasted about 5 months before being cancelled.

The thing is: I doubt a fast-to-market chinese company like GPD has the wisdom to know when to bail out and pull the plug, unlike some other more mature ones. I wouldn't be surprised if this device was released, as long as they get the momentum up early. It may or may not be a complete train wreck, but that's another thing entirely.

Back