GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

They are not nubs, they are the same joysticks that they successfully used in the GPD XD. And the design as mentioned before is changing as they get more input.

Similar size to a 3ds xl? Mostly portable then. Looks fine but I guess we'll know more when they finalize the design.
I wonder what kind of price point they are aiming for?

Those rendering seem like nobody has really considered how the electronics are going to fit in.

It could fit, if they use those tiny smartphone domecap keyboards as well as leave out some features (like 4G / 3G, etc.) to safe some space.
With a 5,5" screen, the size is similar to the Pyra.
Keyboard really needs to change though, it's getting in the way of everything :)

This is just a rough concept of how the keyboard would be located. Don't pay much attention to the amount of keys etc, that will change. The community has already asked them to make a number of changes to it including removing the 2 columns of keys to the right of the keyboard, simplifying the keyboard , making keys single width except for space. And also adding some key spacing . Bear in mind this is the fourth draft of the keyboard location. So yeah, very very early days,don't think the keyboard will be like that.

I see it more as the Windows complimentary version to the Pyra, rather than a competitor.

I am (personally) not sure about that, in fact I am a little worried by this. Depending on the size this device ends up beeing, I could see a potential loss of sales, as a lot of people are typically asking wether Steam will work or not on the Pyra.
If the size is comparable there aren't many advantages the Pyra has, currently I only can see (possible) storage capacity, 3G/4G and "support" as pro Pyra arguments. While the first is rather obvious, the latter is something most people don't realize until they end up with a device that still has potential but are left alone from the manufacturers side. But with Windows 10 (insert superstitious ritual - like spitting on the ground - here) this may be no real problem at all - at least as far as I know, future changes to Windows won't come with a new version but rather through a constant stream of updates.

I think their goal is for it to be the same size as the GPD XD they also make. ie probably around 155 x 89mm. So slightly smaller than a 3DS XL

This is most likely the case. If you look at the relative size of the dpad, face buttons, and analog sticks they are the same as the GPD XD's. They may find that the keys in this layout end up being too small to be useful and come up with a different design, but I don't think that implies a large device.

What I'm most interested in right now is what SoC they'll use.

Thus far all GPD products have used a Rockchip SoC, either RK3288 or RK3188. This may not be well known on this forum but Rockchip has produced an SoC in conjunction with Intel as part of its "SoFIA" platform: http://www.rock-chips.com/a/en/products/SOFIA_Series/2015/1125/734.html I would consider the odds of this SoC being used for this device to be pretty high.

However, if this ends up being the case it's not great news. This is a low end SoC meant for cheap phones in emerging markets. 4x1.2GHz Silvermont is fairly weak, but the bigger problem is the GPU which is positively ancient. There is AFAIK no possibility for DX9 (let alone better) or proper OpenGL support, meaning it would be completely useless for most games on x86 Windows or Linux.

Hopefully they manage to get a proper Intel-manufactured SoC in this instead (or barring that, at least an AMD one)

If they are going to do it right and it will be the same price or cheaper than a Pyra it will certainly affect sales. I read the dingoonity thread and it seems like the are reaching out to the dingoo community. Smart move - certainly if they listen to guys like Exo.
I think most of the folks posting on this forum will buy a Pyra anyway but If average Joe can choose between two similar devices and one of them is cheaper and has windows on it pretty sure he will choose the windows version.

This is most likely the case. If you look at the relative size of the dpad, face buttons, and analog sticks they are the same as the GPD XD's. They may find that the keys in this layout end up being too small to be useful and come up with a different design, but I don't think that implies a large device.

What I'm most interested in right now is what SoC they'll use.

Thus far all GPD products have used a Rockchip SoC, either RK3288 or RK3188. This may not be well known on this forum but Rockchip has produced an SoC in conjunction with Intel as part of its "SoFIA" platform: http://www.rock-chips.com/a/en/products/SOFIA_Series/2015/1125/734.html I would consider the odds of this SoC being used for this device to be pretty high.

However, if this ends up being the case it's not great news. This is a low end SoC meant for cheap phones in emerging markets. 4x1.2GHz Silvermont is fairly weak, but the bigger problem is the GPU which is positively ancient. There is AFAIK no possibility for DX9 (let alone better) or proper OpenGL support, meaning it would be completely useless for most games on x86 Windows or Linux.

Hopefully they manage to get a proper Intel-manufactured SoC in this instead (or barring that, at least an AMD one)

They are looking at the Intel Cherry Trail range, they haven't specified which one out of the three they would use, only that they will be weighing it up based on price etc . If I were to guess I'd say they will go with the X5-Z8500. The X7-Z8700 is probably going to be a bit too exepensive and the Z8300 only supports 2GB Ram (although its still a fair chance also)

Last edited:
yeah, X7-Z87x0 would be too much expensive. As for X5-Z83x0, there are evidences that it can handle 4 GB, but Intel probably doesn't want this way to promote X5-Z75x0 instead.

By the way, it seems Z8300, Z8500 and Z8700 will be phased out very early:

"
Intel has released a product change notification (PCN) for the current Atom Cherry Trail chips, X5 Z8300, X5 Z8500 and the X7 Z8700. They are to be phased out next year with newer Cherry Trail chipsets that have slightly faster turbo boosts. The graphics naming scheme of these chips has also been changed reflecting Intel’s new naming. They will now be called Intel HD 400 series graphics (12 EUs) and the X7 will graphics will now be known as the Intel HD 405 with 16 EUs. The EU count for the GPU remains unchanged from the previous models.

So the new Atom Cherry Trails will now terminate in Z8X50, so:

• The X5 Z8300, will now be the X5 Z8350 with Intel HD 400 graphics
  • The X5 Z8500, becomes the X5 Z8550 with Intel HD 400 graphics
  • And the X7 Z8700, is now the X7 Z8750 with Intel HD 405 graphics.
"

What? Really? Looks like an asus eepc. The top part where the lower part of your thumb is going to be moving about has no curve. Maybe for typing it could be ok. But for gaming? I havent seen a game pad that way since the sega master system. That is doom, no wonder that was one of the things that got easen up on the Pyra.
If I remember correctly, the eepc was a gigantic success so Asus must have done something right. ^^ And I was a Sega Master System owner, the Original Gamepad was OK, I admit I plugged in an MegaDrive Pad later. On the rendering they also use an simple NES cross-pad, I don't like these.

Sadly, I'll expect real life copycats as soon as the Pyra takes off with its big library of free software though, gaining from the pioneers here taking risks and coding stuff.
We have seen how hard it is to make such an device, I doubt even chinese copycats can bring out such an device in short time. IF they do, I would really like to know how. Stuff like lead times for parts, molds for cases etc... take time, alot. And the Pyra is still a niche device so I doubt it will get enough attention there. Pandora also never had a chinese clone afaik.

I doubt even chinese copycats can bring out such an device in short time.

I did some reading on GPD and it seems to be a serious company that provides better quality handhelds than the usual 'chinese copycat' (eg. JDX). They also keep providing firmware updates and talk to customers. There were rumours about their last handheld in April GPD XD and in August it was already released - so they might produce something faster than you think.

Well, while the XD is a chinese handheld of better quality, it's still something generic, so a lot easier to develop than their new system.

Also, in April there were rumors - which doesn't mean development has started then. My guess is that they had their final prototypes out in April and the rumor came from some preview tester.

With the new device, they explicitely mentioned it's in design idea phase. Nothing exists than a rendering.

While they certainly can develop something like that faster than we (50x more manpower), I still don't think it will be released within the next few months.

There's a LOT more work to do than with a simple handheld like the GPD XD.

Well, while the XD is a chinese handheld of better quality, it's still something generic, so a lot easier to develop than their new system.

Also, in April there were rumors - which doesn't mean development has started then. My guess is that they had their final prototypes out in April and the rumor came from some preview tester.

With the new device, they explicitely mentioned it's in design idea phase. Nothing exists than a rendering.

While they certainly can develop something like that faster than we (50x more manpower), I still don't think it will be released within the next few months.

There's a LOT more work to do than with a simple handheld like the GPD XD.

Makes sense. Yes, it could be some time before this device is released, if indeed all that exists is a render.

I'd say they will be some what slower than with the GPD XD. Probably second half of 2016. But that depends on how much support they get for it and how much user base input they are willing to listen to before pulling their hair out and saying enough :p

I'd say they will be some what slower than with the GPD XD. Probably second half of 2016. But that depends on how much support they get for it and how much user base input they are willing to listen to before pulling their hair out and saying enough :p

They need at least 5 keyboard layout threads to become a serious business :D

Yeah, no one can make any assumptions yet :) Let's just wait and see :)

Back