GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

Anyway, screw that tiny mouse, it's an answer to a problem from an entirely different platform. The power to be gained from years of general use and adoption can be gained separately without shoehorning that same answer to a very specific problem into an entirely different problem.
On my specific case, I use mouse on Pandora only to access the Configbutton menus (Turn on/off Wifi, Bluetooth, etc) and disconnecting from a bluetooth device. Those two things don't have a keyboard shortcut I know of.

Everything else is done with keyboard shortcuts:
  • Launch Audacious: Pandora button > six times UP > one time RIGHT > Enter.
  • Navigating on file selection dialog: Alt+UP = go up a folder, Shift+Space = enter folder, Enter = Select (obviously)
  • Stuff done on terminal obviously using keyboard only
  • Firefox: I use Vimperator
While the power of mouse use may not translate well from desktop to handheld device, the power of keyboard does translate well enough for devices sporting a keyboard.

While the power of mouse use may not translate well from desktop to handheld device, the power of keyboard does translate well enough for devices sporting a keyboard.

For sure, I'm not suggesting anyone's usage patterns are right or wrong, efficient or lazy. I'm simply stating that there at least could be a more efficient intuitive interface given all the options available, including the keyboard.

Keyboard shortcuts is a great example though of a faster way of getting to the desired effect. Some may find bypassing the GUI entirely and just shell script or command line everything. The point remains, your interface partially at that point is a hot key that exists in your finger gymnastics and memory.

Hotkeys go a long way, but is not a complete solution by its self, just as others have said about only changing the OS's interface without redesigning the apps. Also keep in mind, nothing is broken, I just don't feel it's ideal, and can be improved upon.

Hotkeys go a long way, but is not a complete solution by its self, just as others have said about only changing the OS's interface without redesigning the apps. Also keep in mind, nothing is broken, I just don't feel it's ideal, and can be improved upon.
There's just no perfect solution. Gotta just make do with what is available.

One way is an OS-wide movement, including applications to make the whole UI experience suitable for handheld form-factors (like iOS, Android). But that means giving up on previously existing software, because legacy software ends up "polluting" the new OS ecosystem with it's old UI schemes. Given the option developers would rather not do anything than to have to re-write existing software. iOS, Android work because they don't give developers a choice, whole new touch-friendly UI needs to be made.

But as you said previously, you are also interested in running existing desktop applications without much fuzz. But then that means that desktop-style UI apps find it's way into the OS, which means the OS needs to cope with them. Which means things like taskbar, windows and, yes, mouse cursor also find it's way into the OS. Without those then legacy software wouldn't work without adaptation.

That's why I mentioned keyboard shortcuts. Developers have implemented keyboard shortcuts into applications since forever. And keyboard shrinks better into handheld form factor (at least for simple shortcuts) much better than mouse.

Leaving old software aside, I'm not sure how developers will cope with making apps work across a wide range of form factors. Maybe a few apps may work seamlessly in either a small touchscreen or an external screen with keyboard and mouse. But I think most apps will just work well on one while feeling clunky in the other.

Personally, I wouldn't be particularly interested in the Pyra if it was another x86 device. Modern x86 CPUs (Intel CPUs since 2009, AMD CPUs since 2013) have tremendous problems when it comes to liberty and security, explained in detail here:

https://libreboot.org/faq/

And it's probably only going to get worse.

Last edited:
What keeps me away for now is that it is coming from China (I don't want to support underpaying and exploitihg the workers) and with Windows (I don't want to support Microsoft, even indirectly, since I feel they are a largely negative and destructive force ). I also like supporting small businesses, although I suppose GPD may fall into that category as well.

I will keep following news on it since I love palmtops, and we shall see what happens.
Not means impolite, just to express my opinion. Why don't you think it in another way, the price of what you bought reflect the value of that thing, there is nothing underpaying. Chinese products can not achieve very high quality at now, because the technical limits, then we had to make our products sells in lower price, that is why workers been "underpaying" and they had to work with it, but if somebody bought their products, at least they got paid, it is much better than nothing. As a Chinese, if we could choose a higher payment job, we will not choose the lower one, but actually there is no choice.

As for GPD handheld, in my viewpoint, I choose Pyra instead of GPD product, it is because the operating system, I enjoy the open source environment, even though I had to pay much more for it. Yes the price of Pyra if much more expensive than GPD, 600 Euros maybe? Amount to my salary for four month... GPD might sell similar thing at the one third price.

Hope my reply wouldn't offend you, English is not my mother tongue, so I may said something offensive but I didn't realize it.

Wow your quick Crazyhorse.

They are asking $299 for it. I suppose thats reasonable. That also includes worldwide shipping which is good.

Delivery targeted for October

Last edited:
Yes, the $299 option looks very tempting...
1ac39f6cac49efdc1d80f270d334d674.jpg

It's a bit weird, they are saying :"we will give you an incredible low price,Pro-order GPD WIN. you will get 1 black GDP Win, for $200 off the final retail prices by order here on Indiegogo!"

What does that mean? They would give you back 200$, or that means that the retail price would be 499$?

Even the shipping date sounds unreal.

Undoubtly the latter. (Retail at $499)
So they leaved the previous market category. It's almost the price of the pyra.

I'm not sure that people would be willing to pay this kind of amount for a Chinese products, even if GPD has one of the best reputation compared to other Chinese android gaming handled company.

It's still not company like Microsoft, Asus, Lenovo, etc... There is still some quirks and quality isn't as good.

Last edited:
I'm sure it wont be $499 at retail, but yes that's what they are saying. Undoubtably though, it's to persuade you to back it on Indiegogo for $299.

Yep, happy with my DBP Lin decision. I really do hope the GPD Win is successful. It could bring more attention to the Pyra, or reinvigorate the palmtop market, both of which seem good to me. Even better, both this and the Pyra are gaming palmtops, so you get gaming controls.

I am also a bit concerned about the price, but why don't we wait and see what happens. (I thought this was going to be the cheaper alternative I could recommend to those that weren't interested in Linux...) I am sure many people feel similar devices are overpriced, including a few comments I have heard about the Pandora. It kinda proves that a good pocket sized gaming computer with keyboard isn't going to be cheap for now. Maybe they are more interested in doing it right than doing it cheap, so it may be a good thing.

Are we saying $299 is too expensive?

Some chinese companies have a habit of over stating RRP in order to get you to buy their products at the price they advertise at. This looks like another example of that. Geekbuying for example lists the base model GPD XD at RRP $230 and sell it for $159, it has never been $230, not even at launch, not even close to that figure. .

I wouldn't pay any attention what so ever to the RRP they claim it wiill be, the only real price here is that it will be $299 in the In diegogo. Thats it. thats the only thing to take out of it.

Last edited:
Yep, happy with my DBP Lin decision. I really do hope the GPD Win is successful. It could bring more attention to the Pyra, or reinvigorate the palmtop market, both of which seem good to me. Even better, both this and the Pyra are gaming palmtops, so you get gaming controls.

I am also a bit concerned about the price, but why don't we wait and see what happens. (I thought this was going to be the cheaper alternative I could recommend to those that weren't interested in Linux...) I am sure many people feel similar devices are overpriced, including a few comments I have heard about the Pandora. It kinda proves that a good pocket sized gaming computer with keyboard isn't going to be cheap for now. Maybe they are more interested in doing it right than doing it cheap, so it may be a good thing.

I really hope, for the quality and the price.

Unfortunately they put x5-z8500, there is interesting things like the switch for joystick/mouse mod, but the way the key loses its functions isn't good.

715a1b5a438e1d37551b7bf78c3dedff.jpg

It would have been better to put the z8700, dolphin emulator has improved alot with DX12 and it's playable on it, even Mario kart:

It's not even a stable version.

Even PCSX2 works not bad:

Last edited:
Are we saying $299 is too expensive?
$300 seems like a good price to me. Others may not feel the same. I also think the $500 expected retail price is fair, however based on reactions to the price of the Pandora a couple years ago and the Pyra (based on ED's thread) I think many will ask "if it is just a gaming handheld why is it so expensive?". I think these things are great, and much more valuable and useful than a smartphone. They can do so much more than allow you to play games.

I really hope, for the quality and the price.

Unfortunately they put x5-z8500, there is interesting things like the switch for joystick/mouse mod, but the way the key loses its functions isn't good.

It would have been better to put the z8700, dolphin emulator has improved alot with DX12 and it's playable on it, even Mario kart:
From what others have said their product are decent enough when it comes to quality (individual results and opinions well vary). As for price, wait and see if it stays cheap, or just jump in now. I know a few people I will mention it to.

They did mention a possible upgrade to the 8550, I think. Not sure if that is much of an improvement, and too lazy to check. I do know of one person that would probably instantly buy it if they would get Dolphin, Windows, and all the physical controls. I will still mention the Pyra, but I think the GPD Win might be just a little less of a niche product.

Edit: Bah, I forgot to mention my thoughts on the controls and such. I agree, the joystick and mouse thing is a bit dumb, imo. I also question the placement of the keys/buttons to the right of the keyboard. Not only does it cause the keyboard to be off-center, that power button seems to be asking for trouble. Their spacebar is off to the left, while Pyra's is off to the right, however everything else is moved as well. I suppose it might be better than having those buttons between the gaming controls where the mouse switch is, especially for those with small hands, or those that tend to be sloppy while gaming...you don't want to accidentally hit the power button.

Some other little things that bug me:
I understand switching the sticks to mouse controls, but why disable all other controls? What if I want/need both, such as if I am playing an NES game but also chatting or looking at a map in a browser?

Just because many other products are moving toward batteries that can't be swapped by the user doesn't mean everything should. They are marketing it as a tiny laptop, but every laptop I have owned allowed users to swap out or remove batteries. That is one feature I really appreciate that the Pandora and Pyra have even if I almost never use it (I would have if the weather knocked out power here today :D).

There are several things about it I really like, though.

Last edited:
The keyboard layout is superior.
If its able to run Debian I will get one for myself.

The keyboard layout is superior.
If its able to run Debian I will get one for myself.
TRAITOR! :p
I don't remember if you mentioned you were getting a Pyra or not. I would be interested in a comparison between the 2. Might as well toss a Pandora into the mix as well.
[doublepost=1456397859,1456397812][/doublepost]
The amount of chinglish on the indiegogo makes me think GPD indeed is a very small company :v
And some typos, but I like what they are trying to do.

Back