GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

Would you be ok with the bottom being somewhat flat, like the bottom of a car? Then the internal stuff doesn't need to get changed. It still looks good.
I've taken the opportunity to alter both sides. Grip may be just better if the base unit is somehow smaller at the sides. And it looks more symmetrical imho. From ED's transparent Case pics I've spotted some unused space on the bottom (sides) of the Pyra. This could be an advantage for such an design...in theory of course. ^^"
No, it was that the curved top doesn't look like it belongs with the less curved bottom. The lid doesn't really fit with the feel of the overall design, which I agree with. If you have angles things tend to work better.
Both, actualy. Bottom is to straight and lid to curved imho. The Pandora/Pyra is compared thick so it makes also sense to have a more curved bottom line. Devices like the NDS are overall thinner, they can live fine with less curved edges and still look good. Pyra would not work this way for sure if we have a non sloped/curved top and bottom for the sake of symmetry.

The GPD WIN looks so elegant because it has a compared low profile and additional onto that a curved bottom/top. This make the device look even thinner than it actualy is. I wish the Pyra was at least a little bit more thin and/or sloped at the edges for the "illusion" of a thinner device. It may be even OK if the bottom would be as strangely curved as the lid, at least better than just one side.

Intel have made thermal throttling a sales benefit, with their 'Turbo mode' rating on chips for a few years now. I don't know if those chips are able to run at their non-turbo clock speed with a working cooling rig, but that's the impression the marketing gives. I don't know if the CPU that GPD are using has those two ratings, and if it'll be able to sustain the lower of the two with the cooling solution applied, but it's perhaps a way to be able to market the maximum rating with a stated indefinite clock rate given also.
There is something new from the mobile passive cooling-front. Acer brings new ultra portable laptops with fanless "liquid cooling" solution:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-unveils-Switch-Alpha-12-2-in-1-with-liquid-cooling.164109.0.html

They cool down the Skylake-U Processors (15W TDP) with that thing, it should be more than enough for some 2-4W SoC's then. :)

Last edited:
I've taken the opportunity to alter both sides. Grip may be just better if the base unit is somehow smaller at the sides. And it looks more symmetrical imho. From ED's transparent Case pics I've spotted some unused space on the bottom (sides) of the Pyra. This could be an advantage for such an design...in theory of course. ^^"
I think those angles may help with grip, regardless of the size reduction. The smaller size helping would be a side benefit, as I see it, so it would be a good choice all around if there is unused space. I think the smaller size might be a problem for me, but I would need to try it to be sure (and my hands aren't big, but I really wouldn't want the side edges smaller than what is present on the Pandora). I think preferences for symmetry are going to be based on what an individual likes. Often when I am looking for symmetry horizontal is fine, and sometimes I want vertical, too. Sometimes I don't care about symmertry at all, and other times I want as much symmetry as possible (yes, spheres are nice, even though I generally like angles).

I think individual preferences come into play with the rest of your reply because I totally disagree with this:
The GPD WIN looks so elegant because
I prefer the original GB in my hands, and the early DOS based HP palmtops look much nicer than the Win, to me.

Thin does not make a good handheld. Some people might like how it looks, but it could cause the thing to be harder to hold on to, and that is FAR more important than looking nice.

That's what the GPD XD is for.

Personally, I neither like Windows nor Android.
Debian rocks though.
Debian is acceptable. I have read some things that are making me question long term "independent" viability of it going into the future. They were just random comments, so it may not matter really, it just makes me think they might be headed in a direction where it becomes more like some other distros. Also, in case anyone was wondering, it had nothing to do with systemd, but I think it did have a little to do with Red Hat. (The systemd thing is a different argument, and has no impact on Debian being its own distro...or does it? Fuck it, I don't care about keeping track of the drama and everything getting changed, and all the politics behind it. I will use what I like, and if I decide I don't like it at some point I will try to work with it or find something else I like.)

I prefer the original GB in my hands, and the early DOS based HP palmtops look much nicer than the Win, to me.

Thin does not make a good handheld. Some people might like how it looks, but it could cause the thing to be harder to hold on to, and that is FAR more important than looking nice.
I also like the Original Gameboy, still great Design and still fits superb into the hands, even in bigger hands. It all depends on what such a device represents, I also like bulky stuff if done right, military grade rugged Laptops for example! ;)
Or something like that:

71XdZgzD8uL._SL1500_.jpg

Clamshell-Handheld with that design and I'm in!

And my beloved Photon Q has corners sorta like those. :D The metal looks nice, too. Kinda reminds me of the old Cadillac pic I posted. :p

I just remembered the GB is more flat on the front and rounded on the back (although it is pretty fat anyway). Just add some lines like that to help with grip, and some good surface texture, and I bet a curved bottom would work well (again, depending on overall thickness). GB is the ultimate example of not symmetrical at all.

The GPD WIN will be launched with Windows 10 only, BUT, GPD are planning to release a dual boot OS for it that you can upgrade to after it launches. So there will be a dual boot Windows 10 and Android option later on

In regards to heat on modern phones, I have noticed that the latest phones have started using thin liquid cooling/heat pipes ;like the one I posted a while ago. This is how they are keeping phones with the Snapdragon 810 cool - Lumia 950 xl, or the latest Galaxy S7 (snapdragon 820) cool. You will probably see a lot more of this moving forward.

Last edited:
Good choice, though I prefer the look of the Sharp PC-3000/3100 myself, albeit it's an inferior machine compared to the HP 200LX.

Anyway, in the spoiler's some image spam of great, or interesting, designs from yesteryear:

469e911444e4dc78f54e71msyp.jpg

Sharp's PC-3000

bb3e9ef5e4e4c45d36d3axnr8p.jpg

IBM Palm Top PC110

tumblr_m8oobdb1hc1ro7akklp.png

IBM Palm Top PC110 once more, this time with an attached Canon CE300 PCMCIA Type 2 digicam

monolith4jsnq.jpg

The IBM "Monolith", the prototype for the PC110

060bpsk8.jpg

NEC mobio NX MB12C/UD

050bnzzs.jpg

NEC mobio NX MB12C/UD next to a Toshiba Libretto 60

n08b1-1txxw3.jpg

docomo PRO series N-08B

viliv_n5_10efxpm.jpg

The Viliv N5

vaio15rujdf.jpg

Sony Vaio P (updated model)

fujitsu-lifebook-u810wqunb.jpg

The Fujitsu LifeBook U810 convertible

fujitsu-lifebook-u810csb40.jpg

The U810 in tablet mode

57bfead393feff882e69fa5jaw.jpg

The Pomera DM100, a Japanese electronic word processor for distraction-free writing

I was eyeing the CAT S60 with the built in FLIR Thermal Imaging camera. It may be my next smartphone.
It looks great. I was looking at the Cat phones for someone that wanted something a little more durable than the flagships she kept destroying from the popular brands. No surprise here: they were rejected because of the look. I love 'em, but can't afford one, and I prefer a keyboard. That camera might help me convince her, not that she needs FLIR (but, still...I would play with it). What are your plans for it?

Good choice, though I prefer the look of the Sharp PC-3000/3100 myself, albeit it's an inferior machine compared to the HP 200LX.
I missed your spoiler at first, and ended up searching for some of what you had listed. Some really great ones in there. I think the Sharp one is one I considered before picking up my HP. The keyboard looked awesome, so I wanted to give one like that a try (not that I have had any trouble with the HP one on a heavily used unit that was previously used by a delivery driver, and came with a metal environmental case!). I wish we could get a keyboard like that for the Pyra.

Obviously the IBM one is going to be a favorite of many people, myself included, although I couldn't justify the purchase of one. Maybe someday, after I pick up a few more old ThinkPads.

Some of the newer ones would probably be/have been awesome to have and use, I can't say I liked the design. It is mostly for the unimportant reasons I have mentioned in the past, like the highly rounded corners and such. I guess my taste is stuck in the 80s and 90s. Still an awesome list. Now I want to go look for pictures of the PC-3000 closed to see if it really looks better than the HP palmtops. :D

220px-Hp200lx,_closed.jpg

What are your plans for it?
Well I was eyeing buying a FLIR Imaging Thermometer for project work, see how hot components get and such. If a smartphone has that built on it would be a neat investment. Also someone will make a Predator app for sure.

Very, very tempted, but I think I'll wait for the next bus. It'll be along in a minute! ;)
Furthermore GPD plans to release one with atom x7-z8700 next year, I also rather wait for feedback from customers

A z8750 model next year is not guaranteed. They are thinking about it, could be yes, could be no with that sort of thing.

In any event, if they did launch a Z8700 model it would be more expensive. But if it did eventuate, and you were still set on it for a greater price. Than you could always sell your Indiegogo WIN. GPD XD's have held their price well on the second hand market , imagine the WIN would also.

I'm tempted too but somehow I have the feeling it's going to be too much plastic toy-like. I think it's the hinge...
That, and my wife convinced me to just wait for the Pyra as I haven't been able to let go of my Pandora too for the last years.

After taking a lot of time for careful consideration I have backed this thing. What sold it to me was the x86 cpu. In the best case this'll enable me to throw Steam onto it & run some of the Indie games I have accumulated over the years (mostly via humble bundle). Also I have no doubt it'll handle internet browsing via wlan well enough. So let's wait how this machine will turn out.

In the best case this'll enable me to throw Steam onto it & run some of the Indie games
Well if Steam and running an Indie game is only the concern I already did that on the OMAP5 going into the Pyra... not that it was running entirely that fast.

There is something new from the mobile passive cooling-front. Acer brings new ultra portable laptops with fanless "liquid cooling" solution:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-unveils-Switch-Alpha-12-2-in-1-with-liquid-cooling.164109.0.html

They cool down the Skylake-U Processors (15W TDP) with that thing, it should be more than enough for some 2-4W SoC's then. :)

If this is legit a thing, then maybe one day we can have Core M or even those fancy U processors in our clamshell handhelds (think of the graphical power of the HD/Iris iGPUs)...:D

Back