GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

Also, Devil May Cry 4 again – but this time it is on the fanless Z8700 prototype GPD WIN (As opposed to the Z8500 prototype previously)

v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTY3MDAzNjE5Ng==.html?from=y1.7-2

Also, GPD have released photo's of the first rough GPD WIN prototype with fan and Z8750. I won't post the pictures, not much to see other than it has a lot more vent/air holes in it now.
I suppose we are getting the Z8750 by the looks of it. So yet another round of test vids with an even faster setup to come - The third round of test demos to come in the near future :)

The game is brutally difficult, being slow is to your advantage

It's also brutally good, I can only recommend playing it. (At least the first Dark Souls. Said to run very well in Wine, too.)

Very interesting that it seems to run so well on the Win.

Judging from performance on the Pandora, I'm hoping the Pyra will get stable 25-30 FPS for Vanilla Minecraft on one core, and better than that if both A15s are used.

I think minecraft is multithreaded. I'll have to double-check, but when I launch it on my ODroid XU4 (it's quadcore, well octo but as big.LITTLE), I think I remember having see many threads.

Minecraft wasn't multithreaded in the 1.8 versions they said it would come in a later version and I didn't see anything in the 1.9 or 1.10 changelogs about it.

You can get it to be dual core by running a local server and then connecting to it. Should have a speed boost over just running the single player.

Just a small update. GPD have confirmed that they will use the Intel X7-Z8750 Cherry Trail SOC.

On a different note , here is Shank 2 (2012 title) on the Z8700 fanless prototype GPD WIN

v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTY3MTk4MDQ0OA==.html

And this is Castlevania:Lords of Shadow 2 (2014 title) being played at 720p and default settings.

Last edited:
I noticed the crowdfunding total for the GPD WIN has now hit 5,137 and still going. This does not include all the pre-orders via 3rd party online estores.

Last edited:
a07cc3d666c9e75a579e5c6f9db10e1476a517a80fa2e2b7c731a359cd1045d9.jpg

I'm thinking at least some of those got in at a time when they thought fanless operation was what they were getting into.
And some of those will be getting said device upon delivery, still clueless about the change.

So starting too early equals angry buyers.

I'm thinking at least some of those got in at a time when they thought fanless operation was what they were getting into.
And some of those will be getting said device upon delivery, still clueless about the change.

So starting too early equals angry buyers.
I wouldn't be surprised if the users just accept having device with fan and which maybe runs hot. If the fan is particularly loud it may annoy some buyers. But if it is silent enough people might not mind it. They might not even mind the shorter battery life compared to battery size also.

Give gamers some games and they'll put up with all sort of stuff. I mean, they put up with Windows.

Funny thing is that people might think that's just the nature of running "a real OS" in a mobile device.

As I mentioned before, the fan can be turned off if you don't want to use it. Performance wise, the videos above are a guide as to the performance without a fan.

The Surface 3 has a Z8700 in it with no fan. The fan in the WIN is something that can be turned on to allow you to give you that bit extra.

Also, , the GPD WIN has been conformed now to be getting the Z8750 which is a huge jump up from the Z8500 initially planned. And also a further bump up from the Z8700 shown in the test WINs above

So where the fan is now, there wasnt a bigger heatsink before?

If those are the performance videos with the extensive passive cooling, no. If they have a fan in the way of heatflow, dubious, it would have to be tested on actual hardware without the fan running.

The surface 3 has a very non-functional cooling solution.
The 8750 has a little higher boost frequency, but is otherwise the same spec-wise.
The 8500 has lower frequency.
The 8300 has lower frequency still, and lower memory bandwidth.

It would however have to be better clock-for-clock to have any meaningful impact.
Getting the engine to run faster is cool in other cars, but here might heat up the axle fluid, so you are left with something you could never use, or can't use to its potential.

Unless magically top end performance is leaner on the 8750 than the 8700, GPD may end up delivering surface 3 performance unless a fan is running. People will not be happy with that. Because fanless operation was promised, and there is no money on the table to do it right.

The graphics part is rebranded, so no improvement there.

Sell people a dream and people dream with you, deliver below promise, and people get annoyed and angry.

Back