GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

@rygD
I doubt that, I have heard from others say the same thing as me. Not that a slightly rocky foot is earth shattering,

I did hear that changes have been made since the initial batches . One was a small case change, so this could be that ED got an earlier batch. A few other minor tweeks were also made , particularly from the JD.com batches.

@EvilDragon I am not surprised at all by the reports on quality, and largely for the reason you mentioned. We already know they throw whatever the cheapest components are that day into their devices.

You should be sleeping, unless you are partying.
[doublepost=1477962462,1477962398][/doublepost]Hmmm, conflicting reports...isn't that how it always goes?

*looks at my half paint worn off, non-functioning left shoulder button, cracked case on the lid, buldge under the LCD, snapped off battery clip, staticy volume knob, horrendous wifi strength, has never closed evenly on both sides pandora, remembers the price I paid for it and gives her a hug.

Nothing's perfect, the win's good for what it is I'm sure.

On a lighter note, just got my shipping notification, will be here wednesday, indiegogo order 221. Hooray!

Last edited:
Yep, the Win is certainly a nice device, as long as you don't expect any Samsung / Apple quality (which most people do these days...)

Every niche device I know has some issues, but I never cared about.
Somehow, it makes them special :)

Yep, the Win is certainly a nice device, as long as you don't expect any Samsung / Apple quality (which most people do these days...)

Every niche device I know has some issues, but I never cared about.
Somehow, it makes them special :)

You mean like exploding batteries on the Samsung or bendy Apple 6+'s etc etc etc. Perhaps you meant qualtiy like Microsoft, oops oh wait forgot about RROD. Ok SONY then , I mean the PS4 is perfect right? - well except for - http://wccftech.com/top-5-reported-technical-playstation-4-issues-problems-fix/
Generally speaking all tech brands have product issues, with few exceptions, and that includes the big brands.

Last edited:
I meant the case quality, not the technical quality :)

The case is the first thing the customer sees and defines whether a device is "cheap" or not.

@matzesu

Well as I said, my WINs case is pretty awesome, it was literrally the first thing I noticed about the WIN, ie that the case felt quality. In fact it was one of my first comment I posted about the WIN upon receiving it.

I have only heard of minor issues with the early batches. After that , it has been good.

Here's my second post upon receiving the WIN.from two pages back -> https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/th...e-palmtop-computer.76762/page-80#post-1396845

"The feel and quality is really good. Feels a quality product. Controls and sticks feel comfortable to reach and use."

I found another issue, the display glas is glued to the top case part but on mine the glue probably is not completely dry so the glas started to come off.
Both my issues are easy to fix and also i expected problems with the build quality, so no tears there :-D
For me the Win is nothing more than a pastime until the Pyra is done and it does that well. At least i didnt encounter a driver crash (yet)!

Could any of you lucky guys who already got it try to boot a Linux distro and post the output of lspci and lsusb? Let's see about that wifi adapter... Thank you!

So far I´m happy with my Win... the build quality of my unit seems to be good. D-pad feels a bit soft, quite similar to my DS-Lite´s D-Pad. Also I had no crashing drivers so far. But I also didn´t put it under heavy stress... a bit of web-browsing, and a few Indie games (Axiom Verge, Kelvin and the infamous machine).

In the Dingoonity Thread there is someone who already got wifi working
As far as I could read, only 2 or 3 people have openly tried to run any flavor of Linux, and none of them seem to mention anything about wifi. Could you point me to the source? Maybe I skipped over it! Thanks!

Edit: Still interested in the output of lspci and lsusb :)

Thats because i remembered wrong where i read it. It was on reddit: CLICK

"I have got the builtin WiFi working, I believe this is due to a bug in linux-firmware, specifically a file is missing. I have filed bug report but the workaround is to grab brcmfmac4356-pcie.txt from here and drop it into /lib/firmware/brcm. WiFi should work after either reloading the brcmfmac module, or rebooting."

Mine is installing the anniversary update at the moment, as soon as that is done i will boot up a stick.

I meant the case quality, not the technical quality :)

The case is the first thing the customer sees and defines whether a device is "cheap" or not.
What did the masses sayed about the Pyra Case on the GC actualy? ^^"

From pictures alone I would say, the GPD Win Case looks and "feels" pretty nice and it's compared "clean" and it has especialy the right colour (the colour that nobody seems to get right for the Pyra ;) )

Quality is not defined by color, which is very subjective. I dont really like the Win's as its far too shiny. I prefer a more matte look (and love clear cases!). But in the end i dont care much as long as it does what i want it to.

Phawx was faster than the anniversary update on mine..
For lspci and lsusb see this video at 4:09:

If you still need something else just ask, but i will be on holidays beginning tomorrow (at least im finally done updating). Oh do i hate this Windows stuff, but for now thats it.

Last edited:
Anyone know if the mouse sticks/buttons can be swapped somehow? I'm more of a southpaw person, and this mousing-with-right-thumb is getting annoying and tiring. Also I keep right clicking instead of left clicking. I know I can swap the mouse buttons, but this falls apart when I plug in an actual mouse.

Well I'm not impressed, it froze on the win activation screen on first boot, froze after sleep and now it doesn't recognise my password, it's only been turned on an hour! I have always said take your time ED but now want my Pyra!! :mad:

Back