GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

Wow, that really does sound tinny when it's playing those old tunes. At least you'll be able to hear it in a noisy environment though, I guess, though how much it'll annoy those around you is another matter. Looks good though, if you were using headphones.

@levi

I think that's pretty much his audio recording. The sound is decent on mine, mono of course.

By the way, I forgot to mention the other day that Future Pinball works well on the WIN. I copied onto USB stick from by PC and ran it directly from the stick on the WIN

I imagine Virtual Pinball should work also.

Last edited:
^you can get a windows 10 pro key for like $20 on ebay so you can do bitlocker
Its company issued, so I am not gonna put an probably illegal license on it. But that shouldn't be a big issue as we will order some new hardware early next year, which will have a Win10Pro license "attached" that should be usable (we use a Win7 Pro Volume License, so the Win10 licenses aren't used).

@thatgui
Just in regards to the rubber joystick covers, they are just that - covers. They can be replaced.
Nice to know, but they look pricy and I wonder whether I could use only certain types. The one that come with the device are concave, but not all replacements I found have that shape. Probably baseless, but with the screen already resting on the keys when closed (already leaving non persistent marks on it), I'm picturing the screen just resting on the two stick and then putting pressure on it.

Anyway, still happy with the device. Still playing Shovel Knight, and tried some things:
  • Minecraft, with Optifine and gfx-details set to low runs smooth- but I am not sure I really want to play it with the sticks, its quite cumbersome for me. The mobile version (on my phone) works a lot better for me, but the mobile version lacks a lot of features.
  • Retroarch, crashes very often
  • X-Wing Alliance requires a joystick, but I can't calibrate it correctly
  • FCEUX works, but I am still trying to find the optimal control layout and using fullscreen just gives me a dark grey picture
  • still not happy about Windows 10, installed a big update and it looks like the reboot problem is gone, but now the tablet mode is automatically activated, every time the device is restarted
  • Working with Visual Studio is somewhat of a challenge if your used to code on a 24" 1920x1200 screen
  • As requested by my son (he is thinking about using his savings on a GPD-Win), I installed Lego Jurassic World (via Steam) and there is some mild stuttering (have to play with the gfx settings), but runs fine otherwise

• still not happy about Windows 10, installed a big update and it looks like the reboot problem is gone, but now the tablet mode is automatically activated, every time the device is restarted
search settings for tablet mode, there is an option to set what happens when you sign in. I think it sees the device as an actual tablet. You can choose to default to desktop mode.

I also find for me, that installing things to the sdcard causes stutters, I think in my situation it's a bandwidth issue. Was playing stardew valley from sdcard and it would hang slightly every couple of seconds, I moved it to internal and it played smooth.

I am now just using my sdcard for documents and music, my actual applications go on internal.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a good snes emulator to me or help me figure out the problems I'm having with snes9x and higen? Zsnes can't be fixed for the Win as far as I can find.

BTW this post was made with my GPD Win.

search settings for tablet mode, there is an option to set what happens when you sign in. I think it sees the device as an actual tablet. You can choose to default to desktop mode.
Thanks for the hint, there is an extra option group for that. I must have forgotten about it already, as I probably deactivated it, in my initial rush to deactivate "everything". But I am actually offended by MS, while searching for the tablet mode option, I noticed that with the update a lot of applications were back again, that I had removed already. Also a whole lot of settings were more "Microsoft friendly" again.

I also find for me, that installing things to the sdcard causes stutters, I think in my situation it's a bandwidth issue. Was playing stardew valley from sdcard and it would hang slightly every couple of seconds, I moved it to internal and it played smooth.
I had a similar experience, but I blamed the cheap SD-Card I used that was collecting dust in a drawer. Did you use a fast card ?

For the sd card, I've read somewhere that by default the card reader turns off after a few seconds of inactivity. Disabling this helped someone to get rid of such problems.

For the sd card, I've read somewhere that by default the card reader turns off after a few seconds of inactivity. Disabling this helped someone to get rid of such problems.

Hmm, that sounds like something that should be resolved in a firmware update. I wonder if GPD has acknowledged the problem, my other windows tabs don't do that. Glad to hear it's not a bandwidth issue, something firmware wouldn't fix. The bandwidth seems poor as well besides that, but that part is livable I suppose.

I haven't checked Linux yet, but I imagine the problem would be there as well.

Checked dingoonity , looks like others are seeing it as well, their solution appears to be a keep alive script that keeps the connection constantly open. I don't like that work around, would eat battery when not actively used, but looks like an alright solution until it's actually fixed.

Last edited:
I haven't had any issues with the SD card but I did install Steam and Office to it so the background services may be stopping it from going idle.

Is there anyone here capable of doing the fixes needed to resolve the gpu driver crashing (http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-wi...he-problem-of-suspension-of-display-driver/)?
Otherwise @EvilDragon should i send the unit back to you for an aggregated return to GPD for fixing? Or do you get "replacement stock" from GPD and can swap it for a functioning unit? Or do you yourself have a way of adding the resistors?

I can easily do the mod, and I will do this for all units that have the issue.

The next units that I receive (should arrive in 1 - 2 weeks) won't have that issue anymore.

Try changing the C states in the bios, I can't remember what I have mine at C7 maybe? but I would try setting it to that or dropping it down to C5 or C6 if c7 is giving you issues
TYVM for some reason mine got set to C1. Changing it c7 appears to have fixed it.
Edit: spoke too soon

Last edited:
Is anyone else having "Sleep of death" Issues?
Could you elaborate a little about this ?

I can easily do the mod, and I will do this for all units that have the issue.
How do I know whether my unit is affected or not ? How often do these crashes appear ? I had some Windows - messages popping up about the gfx driver having crashed in the beginning, but did not see any new ones for some time now. According to my son Lego Jurassic World crashes rather frequently while playing (which it does not on his laptop), especially if he plays longer.

Still testing things out and playing old games (via dosbox), but it looks like to be a rather disappointing venture: due to GPD decision to create those three combination of different USB-devices I am often in a situation where I would like to set the device to joystick mode, but still need a mouse in order to set things up (inside the game) as the touchscreen does not work. Also performance is some kind of a hit or miss thing (at least with gog.com's configs) - Archimedian dynasty works fluently (as far as I can tell) but X-Wing Collectors Edition stutters now and then.
Its also nice, that I have a Windows 10 device now. As at work, there surely will be the switch to Windows 10 next year, I can already get used to it (and its buginess) - Win10 should have been in Q&A (and dev) for at least one more year.

How do I know whether my unit is affected or not ? How often do these crashes appear ?

On mine as soon as i get to anything 3D (Game menus are mostly fine) it starts an endless loop of black screen with looped gamesound, then a flash of the windows desktop, then a flash of the games graphics and then back to the beginning. After a few "rounds" of this windows prevents GPU access for the game and shuts it down. This happens no matter what settings i choose for resolution and details. I also tried all the settings in the performance guide from dingoonity but no change.

Could you elaborate a little about this ?
Same issue as with Cyanogenmod on nook HD+, goes to sleep and nothing can make it wake up other than holding the power for 30 sec to force shut down then starting the now powered off system. The equivalent of pulling the battery.

I
Nice to know, but they look pricy and I wonder whether I could use only certain types. The one that come with the device are concave, but not all replacements I found have that shape. Probably baseless, but with the screen already resting on the keys when closed (already leaving non persistent marks on it), I'm picturing the screen just resting on the two stick and then putting pressure on it.

Here are the exact cover replacements GPD are selling for the WIN, they are $2.
https://world.taobao.com/item/539006233102.htm?fromSite=main&spm=686.1000925.0.0.YVCGF3

Back