Gpdoom Doesnt Find Wads

spray

PSP pwner
Website
Visit site
Got hold of a 32mb smc and decided it would serve me well as my GPDoom card.

I've got the HalfLife, Western and Quake wads so decided to first try out the HL one.

I transfered it over to game/doom using GPDrive and then renamed it to doom2.wad.

When i booted up GPDoom it said that no wad had been recognised.

So, i then tried the quake wad, again transfered using GPDrive and renamed to doom2.wad, however once again when i loaded up GPDoom it said that no wad had been found.

I'm sure that last time i used HalfLife it didnt need any other "official" wad present and this was backed up by a site i visited that was linked on a post somewhere saying that it would work stand alone.

What am i doing wrong?

Help please!

I think that HL and Quake data are formated for another engine because they are true 3D, the map and the models are 3D, and DOOM was 2.5D and the models were 2D sprites, its a diferent engine wich needs other type of port, maybe some day someone code some GP32 simplified (no multitextures, flat shading) engine port of John Carmack 3D engines.

It seems a fantastic feat, because there are lots of 3D in the Quake engine, there floors above floors and so on. You are sure its not a hoax?

Yes, its amazing!!! Nothing stops a talented guy! And more amazing, we now have a mod scene! Every day is a GP32 surprise.

Thanks very much for the help guys! much appreciated.

One last rather random question.

As i said earlier, im trying to use a 32mb card as my GPDoom one.

This is fine for using the western and halflife wads, but it means im about 3mb short when trying to have both the quake and doom2 wads on one 32mb smc.

My question is this, do any versions of doom 2 exist that are less than ~14mb (as mine is) ideally around the 12mb mark?

tah!

Mikey posted on May 19 2004 at 04:39 PM said:
You need the actual Doom2.wad
Yes now my mods are PWADS, so you need original IWAD to make them work.
Use them as "EXTRA WADS" in GP Doom v9 and IWADS as GAME. :)
It allows you to carry and play all PWAD you want, instead of having only one fusioned DOOM2.WAD. ;)
And it's illegal to share fusioned DOOM2.WAD because it contains original DOOM2.WAD IWAD. :)
Anyway merged DOOM2.WAD are not convenient at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Johndifo posted on May 19 2004 at 04:58 PM said:
I think that HL and Quake data are formated for another engine because they are true 3D, the map and the models are 3D, and DOOM was 2.5D and the models were 2D sprites, its a diferent engine wich needs other type of port, maybe some day someone code some GP32 simplified (no multitextures, flat shading) engine port of John Carmack 3D engines.
None of the mods are in true 3D with 3D sprites but 2D. ;)
All my PWADS are formated to be used with original Doom IWAD.
The graphic engine is not PWADS but gpdoomv9.fxe. ;)
PWADS are only graphics libraries, some kind of skins for Doom, that's all. ;)

@Drumaster

Is there anything to be gained size wise when it comes to using fusioned versions?

Basically, is there any way that QuakeDoom could be playable using a 32mb smc?

Do you know if craigix plans to include .zip support anytime soon?

Ok so i just downloaded the half life wad from the 15 days compo at gbax.com

this is obviously a fused version as it is called doom2 and is 28mb in size.

this is about 4mb smaller than iwad doom2.wad and pwad halflife.wad

so, is it possible to combine quake with doom2 and save a similar amount of space?

spray posted on May 19 2004 at 06:06 PM said:
@Drumaster

Is there anything to be gained size wise when it comes to using fusioned versions?

Basically, is there any way that QuakeDoom could be playable using a 32mb smc?

Do you know if craigix plans to include .zip support anytime soon?
For a 32 MB it's better to have merged DOOM2.WAD.
Anyway you could not carry IWAD and 1+ PWAD. ;)

An advice : buy a 128 SMC to carry IWAD + all my PWADS at the same time! ;)

Back