.gpe File.... What Is It

a extension that marks a file executeable under (gp2x) linux, it can be anything from a shellscript to a elf.

yup, vimacs is right (for once ;) )

additionally, .gpe causes the file to appear in the "games" menu, whilst .gpu causes it to appear in the "utilities" menu.

sam fisher posted on Apr 9 2006 at 10:04 PM said:
Even though both are exactly the same, its just the browser only displays that specific file type.

If you ask me it's kind of dumb. They should have just had a simple file browser where you can execute anything from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge posted on Apr 9 2006 at 05:32 AM said:
yup, vimacs is right (for once ;) )

additionally, .gpe causes the file to appear in the "games" menu, whilst .gpu causes it to appear in the "utilities" menu.

Not exactly. :D The extention has nothing to do with being executable in linux (chmod +x does that). It's just a GP2X thing, apparently only to decide which menu something shows up under.

Other than that, it's just an ELF binary, same as any other linux binary.

GeminiDomino posted on Apr 10 2006 at 08:39 AM said:
Not exactly. :D The extention has nothing to do with being executable in linux (chmod +x does that). It's just a GP2X thing, apparently only to decide which menu something shows up under.

Other than that, it's just an ELF binary, same as any other linux binary.

If you want to be pedantic ;)

Not many people are going to be running executables from the command line, so they'll be using the gp2x menu, and under that menu, only .gpe and .gpu are executable, and vimacs did say under gp2x linux, which kinda infers this :p

Also, .gpe and .gpu, although executables, are not necessarily ELF binaries, they can be shell scripts, python scripts, anything that's, well, executable.

:D

sand_man posted on Apr 10 2006 at 07:56 AM said:
If you ask me it's kind of dumb. They should have just had a simple file browser where you can execute anything from it.

I think the idea was that by just showing .gpe/.gpu it skipped all the data files, so when you entered a directory, you didn't have to skip the first couple of pages to find the executable.

Squidge posted on Apr 10 2006 at 04:06 AM said:
sand_man posted on Apr 10 2006 at 07:56 AM said:

I think the idea was that by just showing .gpe/.gpu it skipped all the data files, so when you entered a directory, you didn't have to skip the first couple of pages to find the executable.

Good idea, bad execution. =\

Still can't grok the need for two seperate filetypes on two seperate menus.

If you keep all your gpe/gpu files in the same directory (say the root), I can see the need.

Clearly, GPH wanted to make a clear distinction between "game" and "utility", otherwise they would just be one way to execute a file.

Squidge posted on Apr 10 2006 at 07:31 AM said:
If you keep all your gpe/gpu files in the same directory (say the root), I can see the need.

Clearly, GPH wanted to make a clear distinction between "game" and "utility", otherwise they would just be one way to execute a file.

I suppose. I guess I just take being obsessive about good filesystem organization for granted. :)

Back