Gpengine

Totoro

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I know, this sounds stupid. What is GPEngine? Because I even tried lookking at the page:
About:
GPengine is a full speed PCengine emulator for the GamePark's GP32 handheld.

But well to me that doesn't say a thing.
Tried lookking the page more and well I got some sort of idea, it plays games! Hooray! :p

Well uh where to get the games that work with GPEngine?
Because that fancy bomberman screen I saw *drool* I want to play it!

:huh:

It uses roms the same way NES etc. do.

PCengine (or TurboGrafx or some shit in the US) is a 16bit console, and this emulator, err, emulates it.

finty101 posted on Aug 26 2004 at 09:38 AM said:
It uses roms the same way NES etc. do.

PCengine (or TurboGrafx or some shit in the US) is a 16bit console, and this emulator, err, emulates it.

isnt it an 8-bit machine?
i think its 8bit but comes looks like 16 bit graphics wise. correct me if im wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
V3X posted on Aug 26 2004 at 11:14 AM said:
holy crap! it is 8-bit (just checked it on vgmuseum.com) but why is it called turbo-graphx 16?

(yay, my first post on thew new board)
PCE is 8 bits and Turbographx is 16.

You have to own the original games, and when you do, you candownload them from several sites. Just google it.
:lol:
I love reading this kind of sentence! :lol:

PCE roms are totally legal because the PC Engine and its games are not officially sold anymore. ;)

Errm... not quite right. True it uses 8-bit processors, but it uses 2 of them in tandem and the two sort of work together to give an overall 16-bit machine. Its not really 8-bit. Its also not really 16 bit, though. Its somewhere between the two.

If you're searching for information on it, its most commonly known as the PCE or TG16.

Because whether a system is 8 bit or 16 bit usually has nothing to do with how the games will look. THe atari 2600 is 8 bit and so is a nintendo. Hell the intellivision is a 16 bit machine and is blown away by all the later 8 bit machines like nintendo, sms, atari 7800... The main thing is the video and sound chips. The TG 16 can display far more colors than the other 8 bit machines and therefore the grafix look better. The maximum cartridge size can make a difference as well.

Chris

PCE roms are totally legal because the PC Engine and its games are not officially sold anymore.

Yeah I dont know about that!! Im sure games developers will have something to say in that regard! Legally it is irrelevant that because the games arent sold anymore then they should be considered public domain. Even if the game developer and publisher no longer exists it doesnt mean that the rights to the game do not belong to another company. It is a sticky and confusing argument and I am certainly not an expert in contract law.

I finish by stating that if you were the CEO of a video game corporation and your company owned the rights to certain games that are no longer in production does that give people the right to freely distribute said games gaining monetary benifit from sponsorship and your company gets no royalties. I would be PISSED!!!

p.s. even if you own a game it still does not give you the rights to download a distributed rom! that is a myth!

p.p.s. although again I THINK it is respective of what country your in- although im fairly sure main democratic countries (USA, Canada, Australia, Britain, etc) are fairly similar in respect to copyright laws.

Drumaster posted on Aug 26 2004 at 01:44 PM said:
PCE roms are totally legal because the PC Engine and its games are not officially sold
Sorry, but that's not true. I'd asked Atari once (about 3 months ago) if I could distribute old Atari 2600 roms made by Atari with my port of Stella for Dreamcast, DCStella. The answer was a "no". Just because a game or other piece of software isn't sold anymore does not mean that the author has lost all (or at least some) of his rights.

In German there's a saying like "where's no complainant, there's no judge", and most companys doesn't notice it anyway, or if they do, they don't see any sense in taking actions at that time, but that might change.

So you can say that that kind of behaviour - though it's wrong - is tolerated for now.

Greetings,
SvOlli

SvOlli posted on Aug 26 2004 at 01:50 PM said:
Drumaster posted on Aug 26 2004 at 01:44 PM said:
PCE roms are totally legal because the PC Engine and its games are not officially sold
Sorry, but that's not true. I'd asked Atari once (about 3 months ago) if I could distribute old Atari 2600 roms made by Atari with my port of Stella for Dreamcast, DCStella. The answer was a "no". Just because a game or other piece of software isn't sold anymore does not mean that the author has lost all (or at least some) of his rights.

In German there's a saying like "where's no complainant, there's no judge", and most companys doesn't notice it anyway, or if they do, they don't see any sense in taking actions at that time, but that might change.

So you can say that that kind of behaviour - though it's wrong - is tolerated for now.

Greetings,
SvOlli
Yes you're right, it's not legal BUT not punished. ;)

The PC Engine had a 16-bit processor for the graphics and an 8-bit as the main CPU.
This is very similar to the argument with the Atari Lynx, 16-bit graphics and 8-bit main CPU, so is it 16-bit or 8-bit? I'd personally say 8-bit, but then again I couldn't give a rats arse what it is.

carlgeorge posted on Aug 26 2004 at 04:37 PM said:
The PC Engine had a 16-bit processor for the graphics and an 8-bit as the main CPU.
This is very similar to the argument with the Atari Lynx, 16-bit graphics and 8-bit main CPU, so is it 16-bit or 8-bit? I'd personally say 8-bit, but then again I couldn't give a rats arse what it is.

The way I see this bitness thing is this, The main program code is run by the CPU. However many bits the CPU is the system is. If the CPU is 8 bit than it runs 8-bit code and uses 8-bit word lengths therefore the system is 8-bit, no matter how many other co-processors that it has.

It's not really that simple to classify consoles into neat 'bit' categories... for example, where do you put the PS2?

64bit.... it has a MIPS derived main cpu which has a 64bit wide register
256bit... the width of the memory bus?
2560bit... the width of the graphics processor bus?

Or the SNES, for example:

8-bit compatable cpu (derived from the 6502),
selectable 8 or 16bit wide registers,
16bit memory bus,
24bit address space.
16bit wide graphics cpu.... so which one is it?

The PC-Engine /Turbo (they are both the same thing):

8bit main cpu
8bit memory bus
21bit physical address space
16bit logical address space
16bit graphics cpu

You can't just say 'X is 8bit, Y is 16bit' ... the way consoles are designed and the way the games run (code executing on the main cpu, the graphics processor and on seperate support processors) doesn't let you do that with any accuracy.

In my personal opinion, the PC-Engine, when it first arrived, was graphically similar to the Master System and NES, however as time went by, it developed to a state where it didn't look out of place amongst SNES and Megadrive games.

I'd say early PCE was in the same range os the SMS/NES, but later it and especially the PCE-CD games, were easily in the SNES/MD area. The NeoGeo, of course, was always a level above all three.

Back