Gph/digisys Gpl Compliance W/ 1.3.0 Firmware

Sometimes the words you type come acrossed jumbled. But yes, of course Linux is just the kernel, and it should work the same way on any piece of hardware -- I'm just not sure what point you were trying to make.
Don't worry. I think Cyclops is a bot. It randomly selects someones post and then pastes something totally unrelated to it underneath. Had me fooled earlier.

I think you're right. ^_^;

Last edited by a moderator:
Show me the 'GPL nuts', do you use hate words like 'nigger' and ' faggot' and 'communist' etc etc.

Umm, that's a bit OTT, don't you think?

I think anyone who tries to create a hate figure, to shift blame from the real problem. Is a tried and tested method. Pick your own killing of millions people who did this, Craig and others are in good company. Who is responsible? I'll tell you Craig, GPH, Dignsys. DJWillis assumed the resposiblity and if he was surprised by the resposes he got he shouldn't have been. In reality he should be the voice of those e-mails put in a diplomatic manner.

What Craig did in that letter was "Nasty", and the fact anyone would fall for such noncence and spread hate is sick.

I didn't finish reading the thread after this.... I just wanted to comment on this little flame war going on between you two.

Since when was CraigX ever officially inducted into the GPH development/buisness team. He is a distributor. He is doing everything he can for the community. And what does he get.... crap from whinny ./'ers that don't even own a GP2X. Fair enough what GPH and Dig are doing is not on... but Craig has been campaigning for a change... why is he all of a sudden the enemy? If your going to flame/abuse the ppl who help bring this beautiful console to us all, then go buy a PSP from a big company that doesn't actually read your mail.

In short... YES, the GPL has been broken, but it is not Craig or DJWillis's fault... the blame soley lays on GPH not forcing DignSys to comply. So Craig and DJ have every right to be more than upset when /.'ers send them personal e-mails flamin and bitching about them breaking the GPL. That is just plain wrong.

I am sick of ppl bitching and moaning about Craig and DJWillis. They are great guys and they are also totally commited to the community. Get off their backs. I don't think I have ever once seen Craig or DJ say that they don't want the source released. In fact, it has always been the oposite. And yes "GPL Nuts" is the correct term.. they didn't even research into the situation... they just saw Craig's name and sent him hatemail... probably at the same time he was on the Phone to GPH trying to get them to release the same code in question!

nuff said.

Evil Dragon has some information on GP2x.de. He had contact with DignSys.

DignSys is a small company and they have a very expensive provider and the source (35MB) generates a lot of traffic, so they planned to give out the code every 2-3 month.ED provided them with free webspace and they were glad to take it.
The source will be released mid next-week because they have another important project to work on. If the source is not released then, ED will stop selling the GP2X again.

I didn't finish reading the thread after this.... I just wanted to comment on this little flame war going on between you two.

Since when was CraigX ever officially inducted into the GPH development/buisness team. He is a distributor. He is doing everything he can for the community. And what does he get.... crap from whinny ./'ers that don't even own a GP2X. Fair enough what GPH and Dig are doing is not on... but Craig has been campaigning for a change... why is he all of a sudden the enemy? If your going to flame/abuse the ppl who help bring this beautiful console to us all, then go buy a PSP from a big company that doesn't actually read your mail.

In short... YES, the GPL has been broken, but it is not Craig or DJWillis's fault... the blame soley lays on GPH not forcing DignSys to comply. So Craig and DJ have every right to be more than upset when /.'ers send them personal e-mails flamin and bitching about them breaking the GPL. That is just plain wrong.

I am sick of ppl bitching and moaning about Craig and DJWillis. They are great guys and they are also totally commited to the community. Get off their backs. I don't think I have ever once seen Craig or DJ say that they don't want the source released. In fact, it has always been the oposite. And yes "GPL Nuts" is the correct term.. they didn't even research into the situation... they just saw Craig's name and sent him hatemail... probably at the same time he was on the Phone to GPH trying to get them to release the same code in question!

nuff said.

Agreed. Craig and DJWillis have been great so far. Absolutly no need to get onto them like this.

I have nothing but respect for DJWillis.

I *hope* the distributors are really putting the pressure on GPH to get this resolved, and I understand if Craig is upset with getting hounded by the "slashdogs" - but that doesn't change what I had to say on the first page of this thread.

Side-question: Not being a programmer or devver, I was led to believe that Linux and the GPL were created so we wouldn't have to be forced to bend to the will of large groups of commercial developers... eg, Microsoft, Apple, IBM... for anyone to program freely without having to worry about major copyrights/license hassles.

But seems to me the Linux/GPL community itself has become a kind of an "ogre" of it's own. An almost lesser giant in it's own way.

Back on topic: To me, this is how this all seems to APPEAR how things stand. I'll try to sum up what I THINK I've read thus far.

-Craigix and DJWillis both seem to have been %100 straight forward and direct so far.
-GPH, while not completely guilt-free, do seem to be at the mercy of this "DignSys" entity.
-Concerns over DRM and proprietary code seems to have taken a backseat to "Give us all your source, even if it's not part of Linux, even stuff you wrote yourself"
-Lawyers have already been notified and are planning to move on behalf of the GPL community.
-No solid deadline for the release of the entire firmware source, minus any proprietary code or DRM subroutines has been set by either DignSys or GPH.
-Both the neutral GP2X end users and the GPL-determinant end users want a decent, fast resolution to the firmware source issue.
-Because of the threats/warnings by some of the members of the GP2X and GPL community, Gamepark Holdings is not being as friendly to Craigix or DJWillis.
-The GP2X might lose distributors should the situation not be resolved.

This is all I've gathered from the facts I've read thus far in this thread, minus a LOT of mudslinging.

....[It] seems to me the Linux/GPL community itself has become a kind of an "ogre" of it's own. An almost lesser giant in it's own way.

This is not true.... think about it... the GPL is all about free source... how can they be in the same boat as M$ and others (which you did mention) in regards to source code for software.

If you meant, "GPL is a formidable institution that will protect itself if violated"... then yes... they are.... but closed source buisnesmen they are not.

On as side note.... I don't think the /.'ers should have even come into this... from the sounds of it talks and progress was already being sought before these ppl came into it. It should be noted that about 2 ppl out of that /. group actually care about the GP2X's future, the rest were just out to pretect their rights.

"Winterkid" said:
-Concerns over DRM and proprietary code seems to have taken a backseat to "Give us all your source, even if it's not part of Linux, even stuff you wrote yourself"

Um Nobody has said that - What they have said is give us all the code you are reqiured to under the GPL licensee, ie modified Linux Kernel, U-Boot bootloader, and Mplayer media player. They can keep there menu source code, and any kernel MODULES they've written all to themselves.

We were told the release would be some time this week. I will be quite upset if we see the 1.3.0 firmware binaries without a source release.

That will be easy, they just won't release 1.3.0. All of this will probably either delay or stop future releases of FW.

Side-question: Not being a programmer or devver, I was led to believe that Linux and the GPL were created so we wouldn't have to be forced to bend to the will of large groups of commercial developers... eg, Microsoft, Apple, IBM... for anyone to program freely without having to worry about major copyrights/license hassles.

But seems to me the Linux/GPL community itself has become a kind of an "ogre" of it's own. An almost lesser giant in it's own way.

although totally understand GPL ppl, unfortunately I somewhat agree with your point of view :(

Hmm... I think we've heard enough from the extremists.

Yes, a law has been broken.

Yes, It's being remedied.

And I frankly don't care at this moment. Maybe I'll care after it's released.

*puts up flame-retardant shield*

I just hope that bjimba guy that ratted GPH out to the slashdot GPL wolves will be refunding my money when the layers kill the system and the comunity and leave me with a worthless brick ;)

It seems this situation has become FUBAR.

I just hope that bjimba guy that ratted GPH out to the slashdot GPL wolves will be refunding my money when the layers kill the system and the comunity and leave me with a worthless brick ;)

How about if I buy it from you? I'll need one for parts...

Don't worry. I think Cyclops is a bot. It randomly selects someones post and then pastes something totally unrelated to it underneath. Had me fooled earlier.

If you need somthing clarifying, I could use baby speak if you really find a need. :) Please point out where I say somthing unreleated.

Evil Dragon has some information on GP2x.de. He had contact with DignSys.

DignSys is a small company and they have a very expensive provider and the source (35MB) generates a lot of traffic, so they planned to give out the code every 2-3 month.ED provided them with free webspace and they were glad to take it.
The source will be released mid next-week because they have another important project to work on. If the source is not released then, ED will stop selling the GP2X again.

That a lie a patch could be distributed, and it would be nowhere near the size of 35MB, could set up a download on any number of sites offering free downloads of this type etc etc

Will you stop acting like it's some big fucking conspiracy?!

They have not released a <b>complete</b> source yet, so one would assume that this is what they are currently intending to do. As for the patch system, just because they're putting together the kernel doesn't mean they actually have a clue. ;)

Allan.

Will you stop acting like it's some big fucking conspiracy?!

They have not released a <b>complete</b> source yet, so one would assume that this is what they are currently intending to do. As for the patch system, just because they're putting together the kernel doesn't mean they actually have a clue. ;)

Allan.

Do you REALLY belive the reason for the unreleased source is becuase of bandwidth problems?

It seems this situation has become FUBAR.
Could I politely suggest that you calm down? First of all, if the situation is FUBAR, it is not the fault fo bjimba. The fault lies with those who have been distributing GPLed code without making the source available. You can't seriously be suggesting that this should not be discussed outside of these forums? Surely anyone is allowed to raise this issue anywhere they want to raise it?

Anway, if you read this article on GPL enforcement by Eben Moglen, you will find this paragraph:
EbenMoglen said:
In approximately a decade of enforcing the GPL, I have never insisted on payment of damages to the Foundation for violation of the license, and I have rarely required public admission of wrongdoing. Our position has always been that compliance with the license, and security for future good behavior, are the most important goals. We have done everything to make it easy for violators to comply, and we have offered oblivion with respect to past faults.
So the chance that DignSys will be put out of business over this is vey slim indeed.

Just applying the development approach of OSS to other ideas, don’t blame me WEJ brought it up first.

I disagree, if Linux was chosen solely because replicating it’s functionality would take an awful long time, then why wasn’t a BSD adapted to the GP2X instead of Linux?  Using a BSD would have saved them an awful lot of licensing headaches don’t you think?  I think Linux simply made for better advertising.  Linux is a much “sexier” word then BSD in terms of public perception.  Additionally it didn’t hurt that Linux was already adapted to the MagicEyes SOC.  The other way of looking at it is that Linux wasn’t so much chosen as Windows Mobile was rejected.

Agreed, I understand that the Gnome/KDE issue started off due to licensing, but surely you can see today that the two of them aren’t even close to aiming for the same target anymore.  These days there are major philosophical differences between the two camps that are far deeper then licensing.  I mean just look at this gem of a quote from Linus:

I don't think WEJ was refering to a development approch. He was saying all stakeholders, should decide on a sensible rational way forward rather that just getting each others backs up, and he's right, do I belive everyone is honest open and trustwothy, no.

That was the general sentiment yes. Do what you want with Linux, that's the point of it. I couldn't give a monkey's what you do with it, that's your business. However given we all presumably believe we should be able to do what we want with it, it would seem obvious to get a consensus of the best way to get it etc.

Other than that does anyone fancy a pint?

Back