Gph Got Greedy?

Which Company is doing the right thing?

• GP is being greedy...GPH is good.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GPH is being greedy...GP is good.

• They are both good companys...

• They are ALL greedy bastards out for bucks.

• Total voters

Guys, you are forgetting that if such a thing were released, you would have to buy it again to take advantage of the new features, and a large portion of development would be dependent on the new hardware. I for one cannot afford to do that right now, it would be very disappointing to a large number of GP2X users... a handheld needs a longer lifespan than just over a year.

nubie posted on Feb 2 2007 at 06:20 AM said:
The GP2X is only really still getting started. The recent developments with GPU940, the recent emulation developments and homebrew just getting going show that we're still early on in the life of the console. I suspect that there will be some impressive things done this year, and possibly next year too. We're still seeing ports of apps that were written for other CPUs, ffs - and only just seeing impressive stuff that's optimised for the 2x.
I did link to the MMSP2+ <a href="http://www.mesdigital.com/english/Products/product_mmsp2p.asp" target="_blank">http://www.mesdigital.com/english/Products...duct_mmsp2p.asp</a>, maybe you missed it. See my sig as to why a MMSP2+ would mean anything.

It is an upgraded MMSP2, what we already have, all the little tricks and all the existing games should work with some tweaks, but at 360mhz stock speed, AKA everything would be playable speeds. Also the 3D work is done by a seperate proper accelerator, freeing the CPU from the burden of doing all the graphics. Maybe N64 and PSX will be playable on a 400mhz with 3D acceleration. There is also a new 940 at 300mhz for added processing power.

The new chip has TV-Out and USB 2.0 Slave built in instead of being seperate discrete chips, also the whole process is shrunk from 0.18um to 0.13um. The battery savings from 3 chips to 1 chip and a smaller circuit path are not trivial.

Yes that's all very well, but we don't actually have a handheld which uses the MMSP2+ chipset, do we? We've got something that may well appear inferior but which so far is proving to be a lot more powerful than people thought it was.

I'll re-iterate for the hard-of-thinking: Before we give up on the GP2X and start demanding more CPU power, why not wait and see what properly optimised and hand-code apps for the '2x can actually do? We're still only scratching the surface of this thing.

It really sounds to me like you're saying that "we have to work to get this to perform, and that's not good enough because we're too lazy to work hard. Let's solve the problem by demanding better hardware". That's the sort of thinking you can credit Microsoft with, not a linux community.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunny posted on Feb 2 2007 at 11:21 AM said:
nubie posted on Feb 2 2007 at 06:20 AM said:
The GP2X is only really still getting started. The recent developments with GPU940, the recent emulation developments and homebrew just getting going show that we're still early on in the life of the console. I suspect that there will be some impressive things done this year, and possibly next year too. We're still seeing ports of apps that were written for other CPUs, ffs - and only just seeing impressive stuff that's optimised for the 2x.
I did link to the MMSP2+ <a href="http://www.mesdigital.com/english/Products/product_mmsp2p.asp" target="_blank">http://www.mesdigital.com/english/Products...duct_mmsp2p.asp</a>, maybe you missed it. See my sig as to why a MMSP2+ would mean anything.

It is an upgraded MMSP2, what we already have, all the little tricks and all the existing games should work with some tweaks, but at 360mhz stock speed, AKA everything would be playable speeds. Also the 3D work is done by a seperate proper accelerator, freeing the CPU from the burden of doing all the graphics. Maybe N64 and PSX will be playable on a 400mhz with 3D acceleration. There is also a new 940 at 300mhz for added processing power.

The new chip has TV-Out and USB 2.0 Slave built in instead of being seperate discrete chips, also the whole process is shrunk from 0.18um to 0.13um. The battery savings from 3 chips to 1 chip and a smaller circuit path are not trivial.

Yes that's all very well, but we don't actually have a handheld which uses the MMSP2+ chipset, do we? We've got something that may well appear inferior but which so far is proving to be a lot more powerful than people thought it was.

I'll re-iterate for the hard-of-thinking: Before we give up on the GP2X and start demanding more CPU power, why not wait and see what properly optimised and hand-code apps for the '2x can actually do? We're still only scratching the surface of this thing.

It really sounds to me like you're saying that "we have to work to get this to perform, and that's not good enough because we're too lazy to work hard. Let's solve the problem by demanding better hardware". That's the sort of thinking you can credit Microsoft with, not a linux community.

D.

Exactly, we need to wait to get to grips with the hardware we already have, plus that'll give GP&H time to perfect the next one, I'd say in 2 years, 3 tops, then we'll also have had lots of fun with this hardware, and also given people time to save for the GP2NeXtGen :D

oh, and put the expansion slot on the top, not the bottom, cos the BOB is awkward being connected to the bottom of it, and the lead should be a little bigger, and not so stiff, you should be able to pick it up and see the screen, test your stuff, then put it back down :p just my 2p's worth. but on the whole, I'm really impressed and happy with the GP2X and most importantly the scene :)

I'd buy a new one for a d-pad and usb host built-in, alone. I don't see a problem with releasing a gp2x+. If the hardware was a little faster, but compatable, even better.

Mudi posted on Feb 2 2007 at 10:50 AM said:
Guys, you are forgetting that if such a thing were released, you would have to buy it again to take advantage of the new features, and a large portion of development would be dependent on the new hardware. I for one cannot afford to do that right now, it would be very disappointing to a large number of GP2X users... a handheld needs a longer lifespan than just over a year.
Exactly, Mudi you just said everything I was about to say.

Who cares? As long as we get a good system and btw we payed for it ourselfs..

This topics really pointless, but even so, between the two companies only one put out an actual product recently. So I dont see why GP is even a topic anymore.

Well ok...Thats all I wanted to know...just seeing if you guys thought GPH was more greedy than GP. And all of a sudden the shit turned into people wanting a GP3X??? <_<

nubie posted on Feb 1 2007 at 06:46 PM said:
USB should be onboard, Component and VGA should come out of it, it should have a Dpad, might as well include a wifi chip, or at least a socket for a module. 640x480 resolution and a proper 400mhz chip with a decent 2D/3D accelerator (the MMSP2+ has both in one chip), and 128 or 256MB of ram.

Sounds like a laptop to me ;)

"SunSpire"

Back