Gph Got Greedy?

Which Company is doing the right thing?

• GP is being greedy...GPH is good.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GPH is being greedy...GP is good.

• They are both good companys...

• They are ALL greedy bastards out for bucks.

• Total voters

abertalia

Website
Visit site
Well according to an E-Mail sent to GamePark(Not Holdings) from shinneri, It seems that a small part of the article says something about GamePark Holdings saw profit from the GP32 and wanted to get even more money by making a whole entire new console so much like the GP32 called the GP2X. But then again it looks like GamePark is trying to make the big bucks by releasing 3 whole consoles. Which Company do you believe is doing the right thing and which is doing the wrong? Or are they both very good companys who just hate eachother? I would like to hear everyone's opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT

Oops thanks Shinneri. Didn't read the badly formatted paragraph about commerical games after my brain started bleeding.

Anyway, I don't get this.

GAMEPARK and GamePark Holdings didn’t split off because GamePark Holdings wanted to create open system and GAMEPARK wanted to create closed system. GAMEPARK and GamePark Holdings split off because GamePark Holdings got greedy and thought they could develop an H/W which can match with GP32.

Do Gamepark think that the GP2X was just a clone of the GP32? I clearly remember the message of the GP2X being clear as an open handheld. I also remember Gamepark stating that the XGP would not be open and then later stating that they would givethe SDK away.

icurafu:

2. How important will commercial games be on each platform?
Commercial games are very important to us as well as homebrew and our open source policy. We believe that any gaming device is not a gaming device without commercial games. Commercial games are one of the critical factors of a game system to be successful. Since we are well aware of this fact, we will focus on the creation or licensing the commercial games for our platforms. However this doesn’t mean that GAMEPARK will go against developers. Amateur developers, homebrew users, and many other fans of GP32 made us what we are now and where we stand in the game market. We had provided technical information to developers with our GP32 and we intend to keep this policy until we stop developing H/W. In addition, if I may give some correct feedback on the issue of GAMEPARK and GamePark Holdings split off, GamePark Holdings went their way to be a game aggregator not to create PMP or portable game device. And GAMEPARK has never given up or changed its policy of being openness to developers. GAMEPARK and GamePark Holdings didn’t split off because GamePark Holdings wanted to create open system and GAMEPARK wanted to create closed system. GAMEPARK and GamePark Holdings split off because GamePark Holdings got greedy and thought they could develop an H/W which can match with GP32. Also it seems to me that people think that all but one developer went with GamePark Holdings to create their system. However this is not true. Only one developer who merely participated in developing GP32 went with GamePark Holdings. The brains of GP32 project still remains with GAMEPARK and are working on the development of XGP and XGPmini.

Saying either company was "greedy" is ridiculous. GPH simply wanted to go a different direction than the development of the XGP was going, as evidenced by the screen aspect and other details of the last released XGP spec. In any case, I doubt that the XGP would have been released any faster if GPH hadn't decided to release the 2X, so we might still be waiting if GPH hadn't developed the 2X.

I always thought the primary purpose of any company was to make money - if any of them says different, my advice is run away - its surely not a company, but something much more scary...

I suspect Gamepark are busy waiting for financial backing or something - it doesn't take that long to develop a games console. Maybe they're busy with a load of commercial games to release... I wouldn't hold my breath.

I think I'll have to vote either good companies.. which is essentially the same as the last one... or.. no I'll just go with that.

I wasn't around for the GP32 era so I don't really have an opinion on GP. I do know, as much as I love my GP2x, there's no way I could call GPH a good company. If I had to vote I suppose the last option is the only one that comes close, but I think I'll abstain.

the gamepark business case looks really commercial (or greedy)

- "we strive to be a global leader in the portable game device market"
- "win CE option"

wheras the gph business concept is strictly underground.

gph wins

If it was not for GPH being 'greedy' (commercial?) we would have no new system at all and still all be using GP32s with 128mb SMC cards...

Actually I think this scene would be dead if it was not for GPH.

Indeed GPH are far from perfect but they do get on with doing things rather than going round in circles for years and then writing bitchy emails.

(Stressful day!)

craigix posted on Feb 1 2007 at 02:15 PM said:
If it was not for GPH being 'greedy' (commercial?) we would have no new system at all and still all be using GP32s with 128mb SMC cards...
(Stressful day!)

sure about that? I guess we would all use our psps or zods

I'm guessing PSPs, with the bitch-of-the-moment being Sony as a money-grabbing litigating psycho. If the GP2x were not around, I would probably have bought a PSP sooner or later, regardless of Sony's lack of ethics over the last few years when it comes to suppression of free trade...

Not that I'm *always* in favour of free trade, but hey. In the electronic world, I am...

Yes, obviously i was being sarcastic about still being around with 128mb smcs.

I don't know if we would still be here, maybe we would with the psp or the gizmondo.

If you're not in business to make money, you're not in business. Like CraigX said, if not for GPH we wouldn't have a community, or we'd be waiting around for GP to actually produce something, which looks less likely all the time.

I don't care who is greedy or not, just merge or buyout into one company and get on with making the GP3X.

Better yet, grab the cream of the hardware engineers around here and make our own console, at least then we know it is an Alpha console and it will eventually have things right.

USB should be onboard, Component and VGA should come out of it, it should have a Dpad, might as well include a wifi chip, or at least a socket for a module. 640x480 resolution and a proper 400mhz chip with a decent 2D/3D accelerator (the MMSP2+ has both in one chip), and 128 or 256MB of ram. It isn't hard at all to make the battery pack an option between 2 or 4 cells or li-ion depending on mood or availabilty or budget.

Honestly those wouldn't even add $50 to the cost of the GP, in fact the MMSP2+ has TV-Out and USB Slave 2.0 integrated, that will make the whole thing cheaper and the circuit board simpler and it will take less power, etc etc etc.

Hmm, I guess they both suck, unless GP is going to make the device I want, then they are great ;).

nubie posted on Feb 1 2007 at 06:46 PM said:
I don't care who is greedy or not, just merge or buyout into one company and get on with making the GP3X.

Am I the only guy who thinks this is a bit of a bad idea at this point?

The GP2X is only really still getting started. The recent developments with GPU940, the recent emulation developments and homebrew just getting going show that we're still early on in the life of the console. I suspect that there will be some impressive things done this year, and possibly next year too. We're still seeing ports of apps that were written for other CPUs, ffs - and only just seeing impressive stuff that's optimised for the 2x.

Are we wishing the GP2X into an early grave by debating what the GP3X may or may not include? (not that anything we want will make it into the final spec anyway!). This kind of speculation isn't going to do our console any good at all.

D.

Agreed^^

But people love speculation and it won't do any real harm. The GP2X will be going strong for 2-3 years more yet, and will remain awesome forever :)

Dunny posted on Feb 1 2007 at 01:36 PM said:

No.
The GP2X is only really still getting started. The recent developments with GPU940, the recent emulation developments and homebrew just getting going show that we're still early on in the life of the console. I suspect that there will be some impressive things done this year, and possibly next year too. We're still seeing ports of apps that were written for other CPUs, ffs - and only just seeing impressive stuff that's optimised for the 2x.
I did link to the MMSP2+ [URL="http://www.mesdigital.com/english/Products/product_mmsp2p.asp"]http://www.mesdigital.com/english/Products...duct_mmsp2p.asp[/URL], maybe you missed it. See my sig as to why a MMSP2+ would mean anything.

It is an upgraded MMSP2, what we already have, all the little tricks and all the existing games should work with some tweaks, but at 360mhz stock speed, AKA everything would be playable speeds. Also the 3D work is done by a seperate proper accelerator, freeing the CPU from the burden of doing all the graphics. Maybe N64 and PSX will be playable on a 400mhz with 3D acceleration. There is also a new 940 at 300mhz for added processing power.

The new chip has TV-Out and USB 2.0 Slave built in instead of being seperate discrete chips, also the whole process is shrunk from 0.18um to 0.13um. The battery savings from 3 chips to 1 chip and a smaller circuit path are not trivial.

Are we wishing the GP2X into an early grave by debating what the GP3X may or may not include? (not that anything we want will make it into the final spec anyway!). This kind of speculation isn't going to do our console any good at all.

D.
No, it wouldn't push the GP2X into an early grave, merely expand the possibilities, maybe I should have said GP2X+ ooh, how about GPlus? or GPlus2? Very catchy. It wouldn't make the audio or video playing that much better, just enable emulators and games much more 2d and 3d power.

On the contrary, the console needs to move forward, there are serious flaws with the console, the stick and A/V and I/O and lack of processing power are just a few, also the power regulator inside seems to be wasted, it can make 4 fully programmable voltages (backlight dimming and USB Host power anyone?). The GP2X did great, but a plus model can't hurt.

nubie posted on Feb 1 2007 at 10:20 PM said:
Dunny posted on Feb 1 2007 at 01:36 PM said:

No.
I did link to the MMSP2+ <a href="http://www.mesdigital.com/english/Products/product_mmsp2p.asp" target="_blank">http://www.mesdigital.com/english/Products...duct_mmsp2p.asp</a>, maybe you missed it. See my sig as to why a MMSP2+ would mean anything.

It is an upgraded MMSP2, what we already have, all the little tricks and all the existing games should work with some tweaks, but at 360mhz stock speed, AKA everything would be playable speeds. Also the 3D work is done by a seperate proper accelerator, freeing the CPU from the burden of doing all the graphics. Maybe N64 and PSX will be playable on a 400mhz with 3D acceleration. There is also a new 940 at 300mhz for added processing power.

The new chip has TV-Out and USB 2.0 Slave built in instead of being seperate discrete chips, also the whole process is shrunk from 0.18um to 0.13um. The battery savings from 3 chips to 1 chip and a smaller circuit path are not trivial.

D.
No, it wouldn't push the GP2X into an early grave, merely expand the possibilities, maybe I should have said GP2X+ ooh, how about GPlus? or GPlus2? Very catchy. It wouldn't make the audio or video playing that much better, just enable emulators and games much more 2d and 3d power.

On the contrary, the console needs to move forward, there are serious flaws with the console, the stick and A/V and I/O and lack of processing power are just a few, also the power regulator inside seems to be wasted, it can make 4 fully programmable voltages (backlight dimming and USB Host power anyone?). The GP2X did great, but a plus model can't hurt.
I like the idea of a new version without a complete redesign. Everything the same except for with a dpad and a newer version of the chip already in it that would have 2d/3d plus be much faster and eliminate silly second core.

Jackd posted on Feb 1 2007 at 10:32 PM said:
I like the idea of a new version without a complete redesign. Everything the same except for with a dpad and a newer version of the chip already in it that would have 2d/3d plus be much faster and eliminate silly second core.
I suppose, but connect 5 wires and internal USB host plug is available, why not? That would be a huge upgrade to the current state of affairs. The new MMSP2 has an ARM940 co-proc, but I suppose we could turn it off 99% of the time until someone comes up with a must-have use for it, like physics :).

My vote goes towards GPH since they are giving us something, and trust me if it werent for 2X we would all be on gizmondo, messaging each other pictures of our wankers.

Back