Gph

GP2X-INT

Still Fresh
Hi guys its me Tony from GPH.
I am really happy to see that many people are loving the GP2X Wiz.
As you have seen there are games coming out from GPH, and at the moment the price its not given.
Once I have any information regarding the prices I will announce it.
Some pictures will be out by next week, so look forward for that.

I really want to thank to all the developers who are trying to do their best to develop games for GP2X Wiz.
And also to all the supporters.

Please if there are anything that you want to know please let me know.
Once again thank you for your support

PS the price of the games will be decided very soon and the pic will be out next week.

Will you guys release an official SDK at some point?

There are many ways to develop Wiz software already, but a neatly packaged SDK with everything you need for Windows/Mac/Linux would perhaps be more attractive to newcomers. Kind of like that DevC++ bundle you made for the GP2X in 2005, but updated?

You should also consider improving the D-pad by adding 1/2 mm to the length of the pivot. The current one is too shallow making many games not play as well as they should.

Also the touchscreen doesn't work right on the right side of the screen, it bulges out a bit.

DaveC said:
You should also consider improving the D-pad by adding 1/2 mm to the length of the pivot. The current one is too shallow making many games not play as well as they should.

Also the touchscreen doesn't work right on the right side of the screen, it bulges out a bit.
Do you mean left? That's where my gap is.

Also a SDK would be great, because ive always wanted to get into dev, but i don't know where to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tony,

it's great to have you here :)

I would really appreciate a WIZ-emulator, it would speed up development. I'm porting one of my games to WIZ (I will post it here for beta test within 1 or 2 days), and testing it on the WIZ is not really convenient, and sometimes the same code works differently on the WIZ than on my PC

glezmen said:
Hi Tony,

I would really appreciate a WIZ-emulator, it would speed up development. I'm porting one of my games to WIZ (I will post it here for beta test within 1 or 2 days), and testing it on the WIZ is not really convenient, and sometimes the same code works differently on the WIZ than on my PC

You dont know what your asking for and you will never see it.
Use SDL and dont use mis-aligned memory access and you can develop just as well on a pc and expect it to run on the wiz.

Pickle said:
glezmen said:
Hi Tony,

You dont know what your asking for and you will never see it.
Use SDL and dont use mis-aligned memory access and you can develop just as well on a pc and expect it to run on the wiz.

I know it's not a two-month project, but far from impossible, in fact there ARE ARM emulators, the OS of the WIZ is Linux, so why do you say never?
and I do use SDL, and of course never touch memory directly (except the WIZ specs, like reading buttons, reading/changing CPU freq, etc)
but there are differences, for example I have problems with surface alpha in SDL on WIZ, today saw that comparing a stored floating point variable (what is 1.0) with fix 1.0 gives true on my desktop PC (32 bit, Linux) and false on WIZ, it must be because of the architecture, and would be much simplier to debug in an emulator than copying log files from the SD card to the PC, would save really lot of time, like the iPhone emulator in the apple SDK for example

anyway, that would be a useful tool, if we won't have it, we won't...

DaveC said:

Well said, this is the main problem with the Wiz. (See here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49134-wiz-d-pad-mod-now-you-can-have-great-control/ )
If this is modified, could the modified D-pads be sold on their own? (So we can replace them ourselves or get somebody else to!)
Trying to get diagonals in some games is virtually impossible with the old D-pad.
Cheers, Neil

GP2X-INT said:
Please if there are anything that you want to know please let me know.
Please fix USB networking, this will make developing much easier. If you are not sure what I'm talking about, it's a feature GP2X F100 had. Wiz has all necessary hardware, only the driver (firmware) is broken.

Well said, this is the main problem with the Wiz.

I think the main problem on the wiz is the diagonal tearing in games, the ridiculous French language, and the fact that there is no official SDK. I hope this will be fixed soon :)

And thanks Tony for your interest. I'm looking forward to see snaps and to hear about game prices :)

glezmen said:
I know it's not a two-month project, but far from impossible, in fact there ARE ARM emulators, the OS of the WIZ is Linux, so why do you say never?
and I do use SDL, and of course never touch memory directly (except the WIZ specs, like reading buttons, reading/changing CPU freq, etc)
but there are differences, for example I have problems with surface alpha in SDL on WIZ, today saw that comparing a stored floating point variable (what is 1.0) with fix 1.0 gives true on my desktop PC (32 bit, Linux) and false on WIZ, it must be because of the architecture, and would be much simplier to debug in an emulator than copying log files from the SD card to the PC, would save really lot of time, like the iPhone emulator in the apple SDK for example

It's not just that, you'd have to emulate all of the custom hardware on the pollux too. The iPhone simulator is not an emulator- all code in the simulator is compiled for x86 afaik.

glezmen said:

It's possible but I don't think GPH has the resources to do it.

If I were you I wouldn't use floats on the Wiz, period, unless you know it'll be for a very small percentage of the runtime. The CPU doesn't support them in hardware.

If they fix USB networking then you won't have to copy log files all the time. In fact, an emulator really won't provide much benefit at all.

Hey guys! Fix the touchscreen and the D-Pad. And the diagonal tearing. If you do all these thing successfully, someone might actually purchase your product! =D

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Hey guys! Fix the touchscreen and the D-Pad. And the diagonal tearing. If you do all these thing successfully, someone might actually purchase your product! =D

funny! they sold out from gp2xstore, they sold out from play asia, they sold out from consolesource

ya, someone might buy the thing.

Do you guys think that GP2X-INT posts these things so he can collect fresh feedback on the device? I'm sure GPH is well aware of these issues and doesn't need to be told over and over. I know it's exciting to see someone from the company post here but really GP2X-INT is performing marketing and this thread is to promote the upcoming games, not to create an open discussion between GPH and this forum (except with regards to the aforementioned games).

I hope these games aren't some korean big eyed looking grind like games. her knights n shit

im wondering how their going to sell SD cards with a game on them...I really don't understand this concept

I think GPH will likely find what they found last time - the majority of people don't really want to pay for games on these types of machines.

They could make more money buy just porting those games to the iphone and selling them there.

Back