Gpquake 0.21

Thanks for the tip on those controls.

My chatboard works (a little unresponsive) with this new version. However I can't manage to use enter in the console. Which chatboard key should I use for enter/return?

edit:
Stupid me, you can use B to enter :eek:
Godmode here I come!

woogal posted on Jul 26 2004 at 04:54 PM said:
Woogal > Is it 166 Mhz version?!
No. Forgot to mention, it's only 156mhz.
Ok, could you make a 166 version please?

Oh and I think you made a mistake : you put in the game "(GP32 Quake) 0.03" whereas it's the 0.3 version, isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Which chatboard key should I use for enter/return?
Shift+p

I'll put one up later today when I'm back at home.

Oh and I think you made a mistake : you put in the game "(GP32 Quake) 0.03" whereas it's the 0.3 version, isn't it?
This is actually the first version I've given a number to :). As it's my 3rd version, and all updates have been very minor, I decided to go for 0.03. Any other version of mine you may see has been numbered by someone else (probably no_skill), and will probably show 0.01 on the loading screen ('cos I didn't get round to changing it). As far as I'm concerned the code is so early and buggy that calling it 0.x instead of 0.0x is a bit of a rush.

woogal posted on Jul 26 2004 at 05:37 PM said:
Which chatboard key should I use for enter/return?
Shift+p

I'll put one up later today when I'm back at home.

This is actually the first version I've given a number to :). As it's my 3rd version, and all updates have been very minor, I decided to go for 0.03. Any other version of mine you may see has been numbered by someone else (probably no_skill), and will probably show 0.01 on the loading screen ('cos I didn't get round to changing it). As far as I'm concerned the code is so early and buggy that calling it 0.x instead of 0.0x is a bit of a rush.
Thank you for the 166 version. :)

Ok for the version number. :)

Yuglooc posted on Jul 26 2004 at 08:59 PM said:
No but it'll turn unplayable?

Nice work, Now let's fix that water-bug shall we? ^^
We :eek:. You're working on it as well?

Give him time ;).

Dozer posted on Jul 26 2004 at 09:14 PM said:
Yuglooc posted on Jul 26 2004 at 08:59 PM said:
No but it'll turn unplayable?

Nice work, Now let's fix that water-bug shall we? ^^
We :eek:. You're working on it as well?

Give him time ;).
Pff. Yeah with my überleet skiils i would make pong crash. ^^

no_skill posted on Jul 20 2004 at 01:49 PM said:
aligned aka 8 bit memory alignment?
how can i turn this on in gcc 3.4.1?
Well, it depends on what type of variable you are trying to read/wrtite. As it is a 32bit machine if you try to access an int at a memory address that is not 32bit alligned the prog will crash. A PC does not crash when you do this (but it is slow to access unaligned data).

The problem can occour if you don't look after your structures eg:
Code:
typedef struct MY_STRUCT_TAG
{
   int nVar1;
   short nVar2;
   float nVar3;
} MY_STRUCT;

The problem will occour when you try to access the float nVar3 as it is a 32 bit var that will not be on a 32 bit allignment because of the preceding short. The overall size of the stucture can also cause a problem as if you have this situation:

Code:
MY_STRUCT* pStructArray = NULL;

pStructArray = malloc(sizeof(MY_STRUCT) * 10); 

pStructArray[1].nVar1 = 3;

You will get a crash as due to the size of the structure (10 bytes) the variable I was trying to access will start at the 11th byte, making it 16bit (2byte) alligned instead of 32 bit (4 byte). The way to fix this is to introduce padding to the structure:

Code:
typedef struct MY_STRUCT_TAG
{
   int nVar1;
   short nVar2;
   short nPadding;
   float nVar3;
} MY_STRUCT;

This solves the allignment issues but raises other problems - such as if you were previoulsy dumping binary data from a file into your array of structures then that files data will have to be adjusted to allow for the new structures size. It also uses more memory.

Note: There is a chance that I have got some of this allignment stuff wrong - I'm not a fantastic programmer.

I am going to test if a speed up occurs in GP quake after flashing to the new firmware...

Charge posted on Jul 27 2004 at 09:44 AM said:
Well, it depends on what type of variable you are trying to read/wrtite. As it is a 32bit machine if you try to access an int at a memory address that is not 32bit alligned the prog will crash. A PC does not crash when you do this (but it is slow to access unaligned data).

[...]
and the gp32 is really so strict about alignment?

i don't think a machine can crash if you access unaligned data. there' s no reason why it should do it.

and if that's the problem i guess gpquake shouldn't even start up.

@pofg: thanks

no_skill posted on Jul 27 2004 at 12:23 PM said:
Charge posted on Jul 27 2004 at 09:44 AM said:

[...]
and the gp32 is really so strict about alignment?

i don't think a machine can crash if you access unaligned data. there' s no reason why it should do it.

and if that's the problem i guess gpquake shouldn't even start up.

@pofg: thanks
well, in my tests it crashes the GP32, although Geepee does not (always) crash. Maybe there are some compiler options that I don't know about to stop it crasing. For reference, the PS2 definately crashes with unaligned data.

Wow, Quake is really fast for me, as in fast speed! It runs really good. If you could have free aim like in console fps's that would be awesome! Good job no_skill! You are a great coder!

works pretty well on mine i got to level 3 before the bus came and i had to switch it off only crashes if you turn the gamma up while in a game if i did it befor a started an new game it was fine

Back