Gpsp 0.9-2xa

fusion_power said:
Exophases Blog is interesting, even for me. ^^ Yes, I think this Alpha Blending is a big Performance killer in Metroid Fusion. ( bigger than "video speed" I would say ) Sector 4 and 5 - underwater eats frames without end. With Alpha blending over the whole screen on these places, I think it's one of the biggest performance-killing 2D GBA Games ^^ So if Exo can manage to improve the speed for Alpha effects to normal ingame speed I think the 2D games will run incredible fast in areas without heavy gfx effects (like they do so yet here and there :) )
E-mail me a savestate from one of the worst areas in Metroid Fusion and I'll put it into the profiling runs.

Alpha will never be as fast as non-alpha, that'd mean the alpha cost would be 0. But if I can improve the speed of the base rendering then that will improve the speed of all scenes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good posts on your dev blog exophase. I've played around with testing some things out at nights and it's generally smooth sailing. Make sure to take sanity breaks. If you were looking for advice on that dont listen to zod, he (seemingly) drives himself into the ground day and night. :)

OHIO!

Pokemon leaf froze upon saving for me. Not that I'm ungrateful or anything.

Great release otherwise, FF4 runs very smoothly :)

Sorry about that Ryo. It must of got lost in all the work surrounding me. It's a good idea to use that.

Elektranox said:
I hope this is the reason, why Golden Sun is slow... *want to play GS* ^^
No, there's another reason why all Camelot games run very poorly (and some others) that is pathological abuse of the dynarec. Some different approaches could help a lot here.

do you have any idea why teen titans 2 runs so slow and has very bad graphical glitches. the graphics are all corupted and i tried many different dumps and its still the same

ydderf45 said:
do you have any idea why teen titans 2 runs so slow and has very bad graphical glitches. the graphics are all corupted and i tried many different dumps and its still the same
It's a B-E-T-A :p

A lot of games aren't working, apparently. I didn't have time/resources to test them all and it's also annoying getting beta testers indirectly so I released it to find some.

I asked if people wanted it, if you want to complain blame the people who said yes ;)

is it possible to add no frame limit? this function would be great for RPG to walk faster

Yod4z said:
is it possible to add no frame limit? this function would be great for RPG to walk faster
The ability is in there, the button config just has to be updated to actually work for GP2X.

I don't think you'll be able to get an awful lot of extra speed out of it though.

I have tested as many games as i have time and have an special interest to me, i think i will add teen titans to the next testings :D
I thought that 30 games tested would be enough :D

-Castlevania COTM runs at fullspeed frameskip 0 at 275.
-Baldur´s Gate:Dark Alliance is running almost perfect smile.gif
-Metroid Fusion (E) hangs when you are finishing of watching story intro.
-TMNT (2007) runs perfect i would say.
-Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance runs really well, before it doesnt boot up.
-Tekken now does not works, it hangs before go into play.Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Prehistorik Man and Yoshis´s Island have this problem as well.Bu t Yoshi´s Island is so smotth in title screen that is awesome o_O A pity not possible to goingame (previous version you can play it very well at FS3.I think tah now it will run almost perfect o_O
-There is a problem with AW1.
-I can´t make any AW2 rom to go ingame sad.gif
-VRally 3 hangs.
-Winning Eleven is so smooth now that i would say it is running fullspeed.Incredible game and incredible performance now in a GP2X o_O Before it was slow, you needed to play it like frameskip4.
-Max Payne now boots up and is running pretty well smile.gif
-R-Type III is running quite well smile.gif
-Colin McRae 2 hangs.
-FFVI is running slightly better smile.gif
-Zelda:ALink to the past auto resets when you are watching intro story.
-Virtua Tennis freezes at Sega logo.
-Mario Kart and F ZERO Legend are almost running fullspeed,is not fullspeed.Incredible again o_O
-Pokemon Pinball show you a white screen.
-Payback is like in a loop.You can´t get it to play.
-GTA Advance Pro 3 hangs when you try to play in quick race.I have not tried another mode.
-Banjo Pilot now it is working and it runs incredible well smile.gif
-Broken Sword is running perfect.
-Sabrewulf hangs when you press start.
-The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap is running even at FS0 quite well smile.gif Althought there is a problem with rolling, like BadWolf said.
-Kirby and The Amazing Mirror is runnig like perfect smile.gif
-Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland is running like perfect smile.gif
-Krazy Racers hangs.Before it runs, althought slow.
-Lego Star Wars II hangs the emulator.
-Lord of The Rings:Return of the King now it is working and running quite well.
-Klonoa 2 is running perfect smile.gif

Sorry for my bad english :p

Exophase said:
E-mail me a savestate from one of the worst areas in Metroid Fusion and I'll put it into the profiling runs.

Alpha will never be as fast as non-alpha, that'd mean the alpha cost would be 0. But if I can improve the speed of the base rendering then that will improve the speed of all scenes.
I don't see any Exo-email-adresses and for fastest results here is the sav-file:

http://rapidshare.com/files/24204293/Metro...me_sav.zip.html

I had made a quick ingame-Save-point via VBA (from a Savegame done completely with GPSP on GP2X! :) ) so it should be usable it in GPSP to. Save A - Sector 4 Underwater, go to the area left from the save room and explore (yes, Samus is full "developed" so Enemies shouldn't interupt you- just use the Screw-attack if something blocks your way ;) )
It's even slows in VBA on my (older) PC here and there :lol:

Rivroner said:
I have tested as many games as i have time and have an special interest to me, i think i will add teen titans to the next testings :D
I thought that 30 games tested would be enough :D
I think I've found my other beta tester..
If you have AIM or MSN could you IM me? Exophase on AIM, exophase@adelphia.net on MSN.
Otherwise e-mail at exophase (at) gmail (dot) com.

I don't see any Exo-email-adresses and for fastest results here is the sav-file:

http://rapidshare.com/files/24204293/Metro...me_sav.zip.html

I had made a quick ingame-Save-point via VBA (from a Savegame done completely with GPSP on GP2X! smile.gif ) so it should be usable it in GPSP to. Save A - Sector 4 Underwater, go to the area left from the save room and explore (yes, Samus is full "developed" so Enemies shouldn't interupt you- just use the Screw-attack if something blocks your way wink.gif )
It's even slows in VBA on my (older) PC here and there laugh.gif

Thanks. I should be able to make the gpSP .svs I need from this. I'll post results in a few minutes.

EDIT: Here are the results.

With the current C expand_blend function:
Full test : 11192 ms (37.307178 ms per frame)
No blending : 8694 ms (28.980730 ms per frame)
No video : 4065 ms (13.550647 ms per frame)
No CPU : 6232 ms (20.775290 ms per frame)
No CPU/video: 578 ms (1.927083 ms per frame)

CPU speed : 3487 ms (11.623564 ms per frame)
Video speed : 7126 ms (23.756531 ms per frame)
Alpha cost : 2497 ms (8.326447 ms per frame)

With the new ASM expand blend function:
Full test : 9958 ms (33.194565 ms per frame)
No blending : 8645 ms (28.817802 ms per frame)
No video : 4053 ms (13.510473 ms per frame)
No CPU : 5634 ms (18.782593 ms per frame)
No CPU/video: 577 ms (1.924990 ms per frame)

CPU speed : 3475 ms (11.585484 ms per frame)
Video speed : 5905 ms (19.684090 ms per frame)
Alpha cost : 1313 ms (4.376760 ms per frame)

The results sometimes vary a lot so take these with a grain of salt, they might not be the "real" ones.

Exophase,

You might want to edit your post, and get your e-mail address a little less "spam-bot" friendly (to something like myname (at) domain (dot) com

Anyway, thanks for your hard work...

NightShadow said:
Exophase,

You might want to edit your post, and get your e-mail address a little less "spam-bot" friendly (to something like myname (at) domain (dot) com

Anyway, thanks for your hard work...

I expect the bots already look for myname (at) domain (dot) com as well as the standard format.

ste_167 said:
I expect the bots already look for myname (at) domain (dot) com as well as the standard format.
Yeah, you might be right... but anyway, you get the point... change it to something different that would be harder to catch by some bot... those things suck big time...

But let's end this thread hijacking :ph34r:

Back to topic,

I have a great time reading Exophase's dev blog, because even if I don't like very much to code, I'm a tech headed guy, and the way Exophase's brain work is just amazing... It's great to have him cooperating with the GP2x comunity.

Thanks man! ;)

By the way, if I understood correctly Exophase's last post, he has a new ASM function that has increased Metroid performance by ~12% ? That is huge...

Exophase's blog is interesting to me too.

It is interesting to see the science involved in making a dynarec'd emu like this. Many emus just pop out and we don't see the work and tech stuff involved with them

Thanks Exophase for taking the time to explain this in a nice blog, as well as making a great emulator :)

NightShadow said:
ste_167 said:
Yeah, you might be right... but anyway, you get the point... change it to something different that would be harder to catch by some bot... those things suck big time...

But let's end this thread hijacking :ph34r:

Back to topic,

I have a great time reading Exophase's dev blog, because even if I don't like very much to code, I'm a tech headed guy, and the way Exophase's brain work is just amazing... It's great to have him cooperating with the GP2x comunity.

Thanks man! ;)

By the way, if I understood correctly Exophase's last post, he has a new ASM function that has increased Metroid performance by ~12% ? That is huge...

Only if running w/o frameskip..

CPU improvements are where the real wins will be at.

Back