Gpsp Fatal Glitch - Megaman Battle Network (U)

RupeeClock

I've been playing Megaman Battle Network on gpSP 0.9-2xb u6, and I've encountered an impassible glitch.

Part of the game features finding a secret Metroline on school grounds, that takes you to the final area of the game, the WWW Headquarters.
Basically you have to inspect the back of a statue, you find a staircase, this triggers a cutscene.

At the end of the cutscene the ROM crashes and the game cannot be completed. The emulator is unaffected though and you can restart the rom, just to freeze the game over and over again.

I've uploaded a save file and a gpSP savestate for testing
http://rupeeclock.go...om/mmbn1Sav.rar

It's either an emulator glitch or something's wrong with the game itself. I'm going to use Visualboy Advance to get past this cutscene and I'll see if there's anything more to this problem.

Edit: It's not the cutscene, it's the room that the game loads. If the room can't be loaded, the game can't be finished. :(

This bug belongs to the same class as the crash in Zelda: Minish Cap near the end. It's because the game accesses open addresses (stuff that's outside of memory) or the BIOS region and fail to work if the correct values are not present. In other words, the games are extremely buggy and only work by strange change. Unfortunately a lot of GBA games are like this.

This is something I fixed a long time ago in the PSP version, then fixed in the GP2X version, then apparently broke again when I changed the implementation of something or other. Unfortunately for right now you'll have to get past it in VBA or something and save around it. MMBN lets you save anywhere right?

Yeah, MMBN lets you save anywhere, I already beat the game through VBA though.
So it's a bug that's shared across a few games then? I hope I don't find it in any other games. I'll post if I do though.

I'm guessing this bug is also responsible for the Golden Sun crashes, because of the "self-modifying code" that game uses.

RupeeClock said:
Yeah, MMBN lets you save anywhere, I already beat the game through VBA though.
So it's a bug that's shared across a few games then? I hope I don't find it in any other games. I'll post if I do though.

Was just suggesting you use VBA to pass that one part, transferring the SAV back and forth.

RupeeClock said:
I'm guessing this bug is also responsible for the Golden Sun crashes, because of the "self-modifying code" that game uses.

The issues are totally unrelated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
Was just suggesting you use VBA to pass that one part, transferring the SAV back and forth.

Yes I know, but for how little there is to do after passing the bug, I just went ahead and finished the game.
That bug pretty much cuts off either side anyway, I'd have to boot VBA JUST to move between areas, not worth the hassle!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back