Gpsp Issues Revisited

All this emulator needs is a tiny bit more polish and I think everyone would be happy. Here's to hoping someone takes the time.

About the battery LED, it depends on your batteries. For me, it works fine. Some batteries have a different voltage scale and dropoff point, so its impossible to work with all types. Luckily my (and some other peoples) batteries fall within the pre-defined range.

Since I'm done with PicoDrive for now, Exophase gave the green light and nobody has released it yet, I'm going to do a quick hack-fix.

So the TODO list would be:
  • [done] Make volume control usable
  • [done] Fix scaling on first startup
  • [done] get rid of CPU-Tweaker
  • [done] alter scaling
EDIT: all done. To be released soon.

notaz said:
Since I'm done with PicoDrive for now, Exophase gave the green light and nobody has released it yet, I'm going to do a quick hack-fix.

• Fix scaling on first startup
  • alter scaling?
Sounds good. :)

Some cleaning up of the interface is also needed. I would want to see more stuff added & improved (i.e. improved GUI, save last ROM/folder used, borders, game performance, etc), but I guess that'll be too much...

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Maybe also reposition the FPS counter to the edge of the screen, as well as a way to toggle it within the menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz said:
[*][done] Make volume control usable
Yes, yes, release!!

Thanks for working on Gpsp! For me the most annoying issues (although it is a great emulator) are the scaling and the volume.

I agree the gui could use some work as well.

It would be nice also to have some sort of command line parameters, in order to use the emu with gmenu2x or other external frontends.

Thank you very much!

notaz said:

• [done] Fix scaling on first startup
  • [done] alter scaling
EDIT: all done. To be released soon.

ok, here is the update I promised.
Source changes to original release are here.

Changelog:
  • Removed built-in CPU/LCD/RAM-Tweaker.
  • Improved usability of volume control.
  • Removed PSP-specific GUI options, adjusted help text.
  • Overclocking from menu now works, keep it at 200 if you don't want that (if you want to overclock using launcher, for example).
  • Fixed centering-on-first-run problem.
  • 3:2 scaled option now does what it says.
  • Compiled with gcc profiling options (not that it makes much difference :/).
Other stuff is better to be left to Exophase, I guess.

Great! Thanks notaz. The emu now looks a lot more polished.

A recommendation to all users is to delete your .cfg files when you installed the emulator before. Otherwise problems with saving the settings could occur.

Regards,
Stephan

notaz said:

Changelog:
  • Overclocking from menu now works, keep it at 200 if you don't want that (if you want to overclock using launcher, for example).

YAY! :) Sounds great. Over a Year, nobody touched the GBA Emulator, I started to think that nobody (with coding skills) likes to improve GBA Emu on GP2X. :lol: I really had much of fun with GPSP even with it's old "ticks" Finaly someone polish this Diamond, great! ^_^

I'll try the Emu later. I remember some other small bugs into the older Versions of GPSP like savegame loading does not always work and can crash the whole System etc. Lot of things to test now.

THANX, notaz! :)

notaz said:

Changelog:

Cool thanks Notaz.

Thanks again for all of the great work.

Thanks Notaz, for giving this emulator some Notaz polish! The most important things are fixed.
One question, would it be possible to lower the lowest volume level or is this not adjustable? The lower volume levels of Picodrive can go a lot lower than gpsp or mame.

It would be even better to hack the firmware, so we F200 users could use all games and emulators without getting bleeding ears.Is this feasible?

How can we now see fps in F200 o_O?

Thank you very much for this Notaz :)

Rivroner said:

You can set one of the free buttons (A or Y) to show FPS. ;)

It would have been nice if the FPS can be toggled within the menu, as well as have the FPS counter repositioned so that it would not block part of the GBA screen.

Manjuu said:
Rivroner said:

You can set one of the free buttons (A or Y) to show FPS. ;)

It would have been nice if the FPS can be toggled within the menu, as well as have the FPS counter repositioned so that it would not block part of the GBA screen.

Thank you Manju :)

fusion_power said:
I remember some other small bugs into the older Versions of GPSP like savegame loading does not always work and can crash the whole System etc. Lot of things to test now.
Haven't done anything on that part.

b_o_b said:
One question, would it be possible to lower the lowest volume level or is this not adjustable? The lower volume levels of Picodrive can go a lot lower than gpsp or mame.
I use software volume adjustment for lowest volumes in PD, I haven't looked how gpSP does it's audio mixing, but probably that could be done there too.

b_o_b said:
It would be even better to hack the firmware, so we F200 users could use all games and emulators without getting bleeding ears.Is this feasible?
Don't know, would have to look at kernel source for that. The lowest hardware mixer setting is quite loud, yes.

notaz said:
I use software volume adjustment for lowest volumes in PD, I haven't looked how gpSP does it's audio mixing, but probably that could be done there too.

b_o_b said:
Don't know, would have to look at kernel source for that. The lowest hardware mixer setting is quite loud, yes.

Thanks for your answer, would be very nice to see some improvement on the sound for the F200. I think that is the most wanted 'feature' on the F200 right now for non-developers (see the thread from Skeezix about the subject here).

A soundfix for gpSP only would be great as well.

Notaz, how feasible would it be to implement software scaling into gpsp? I seem to remember you saying that its only useful for horizontal scaling, but just figured i'd ask to be sure. The 3:2 scaled option is great to reduce squinting, but unfortunatly it makes a lot of text unreadable (especially when playing Japanese games with kanji).

I actually deleted gpsp from my SD a while ago due to the annoying bugs/already had a GBA. Thanks to your fixes, its on to stay. Your work is much appreciated!

grahf said:
Notaz, how feasible would it be to implement software scaling into gpsp? I seem to remember you saying that its only useful for horizontal scaling, but just figured i'd ask to be sure. The 3:2 scaled option is great to reduce squinting, but unfortunatly it makes a lot of text unreadable (especially when playing Japanese games with kanji).
I actually deleted gpsp from my SD a while ago due to the annoying bugs/already had a GBA. Thanks to your fixes, its on to stay. Your work is much appreciated!

I don't think you'd want to do software scaling, you need all the CPU time you can get.

Maybe not for games like "Advance Wars" etc... but because of the unmatching GP2X res. even SW scaling won't do miracles I think. ^^"" I can live with the tiny 1:1 GBA screen into the 320x240 one. Maybe some day the 2. Processor could be used for Sound or something like on PicoDrive.
On Pandora, the GBA res. could be scaled clean 3x so we would have a 720x480pix image. :)

Of course, someone has to code a GBA Emu for the Pandora first. ;)

Back