Gpx2 Korean Q&a

JaqMs posted on Jul 30 2005 at 06:29 AM said:
DaveC since you're so anti-Gamepark why are you still in these forums.  It's like you are some random person that comes here just to say many negative comments about the new system for no reason at all hoping that others will agree with you.  Otherwise I guess you'll have to stick with the GP32  :D

You should agree with me because what I say is true. If everyone agreed and got pissed maybe they would all tell gamepark and they would wise up and change the specs before it was released. Then we would all have the system we wanted and not a watered down version of it.

If everyone said they wanted more RAM, Faster CPU, backward compatibility etc. they may do it. They already may be willing to up the RAM because of everyone bitchin'

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Jul 30 2005 at 07:34 AM said:
You should agree with me because what I say is true. If everyone agreed and got pissed maybe they would all tell gamepark and they would wise up and change the specs before it was released. Then we would all have the system we wanted and not a watered down version of it.

If everyone said they wanted more RAM, Faster CPU, backward compatibility etc. they may do it. They already may be willing to up the RAM because of everyone bitchin'

Are you willing to pay more for these upgraded specs?

At the moment the price matches the spec ok. Anything more would bump the price up.

Alot of the current spec will be based around the design so I wouldnt waste your breath bitchin too much I doubt they will change too much if its due for release in october.

And all the comparison to other systems specs has got to stop.

Its like your expecting a dog to meow just because it has four legs

;)

The MPEG support is a standard feature of the MMSP 2 to begin with, so it's just a free selling point for GPH. Compared to the Zodiac, it won't have resolution/stretching issues with emulators, analog contol issues, a proprietary power supply, or high price - especially when the Zodiac launched, by comparison, when the mainstream handheld market consisted of the GBA for $80 and SP for $100. GPH isn't going overboard trying to cram in PDA functions (WiFi, touchscreen, microphone, GPS, TV-Out, etc.)

Using an SOC setup means the GPX2 will be cost-effective to produce into the future (no chance of components going out of mass-production), and shouldn't burn through batteries quite so fast (I highly doubt 2 AA cells will power 2 ARM9s @ 200MHz + backlit LCD for 9 hours as GPH says, though...)

We need some devs to poke through the datasheet PDF on the chipset (http://www.mesdigital.com/english/Products/product_mmsp2.asp) and clear up what can and can't be done with this system. From my understanding the GPX2 isn't just a two-processor show - and I think this is what Craig is getting at in saying not to underestimate the GPX2:

Host Processor: ARM920T @ 200MHz
Co-Processor: ARM940T @ 200MHz
MPEG Processor
MPEG Post-Processor
2D Graphics Accelerator
Imaging/Camera Processor

+RTC (if battery-backed...will it be?)

Seems like you can give the voltage a decent bump with the thing spontaneously combusting, too.

DaveC posted on Jul 29 2005 at 11:07 PM said:
Reesy posted on Jul 29 2005 at 08:14 PM said:
DaveC posted on Jul 29 2005 at 06:46 PM said:
I really don't want to give up DrMd ....

Well you won't have to give up DrMD ;) A straight port of DrMD to this new system will probably be full speed at 180Mhz, well thats what I'm hoping anyway. If they've fixed the bus problems that the GP32 suffers from then this should be very possible.

Then all I have to do is make use of the 2d graphics chip to save some more time on the main cpu and then get MegaCD support in there :) I can't wait.

But doesn't the Mega CD have TWO 68000 CPUs and some DSP chips? How are you planning to emulate all of that stuff at 200 MHz? I know you are a great coder and if anyone could do it you probably could but I am super skeptical on that one. I would imagine a bug free cyclone core is important too but you seem to be close to squashing the last pesky bugs there.

You would be surprised how much time is spent rendering the display, if the 2d functions are any good on the Gpx2 then its going to save more enough free time to emulate a couple of extra cyclones but if there crap ( sort of like Zodiac) then your right I won't be able to do it. I'm hoping for a 2D engine sort of like the GBA's, probably not going to happen but let me dream :)

P.S The Mega CD only has one 68000 but its clocked at 12.5Mhz rather than 7.67Mhz. So I still think its possible as long as the 2d engine on the Gpx2 is good.

I still notice I didn't get a reply to my PC analogy :p

Also again, 200 MHZ -base-, not overclocked. and that's just -one- of the processors, and -again-, processor architecture may be in the vein of AMD (AMD= lower MHZ rating but higher performance than you'd think for example) and what if someone could use them in tandem?

look posted on Jul 30 2005 at 06:47 AM said:
DaveC posted on Jul 30 2005 at 07:34 AM said:
You should agree with me because what I say is true.  If everyone agreed and got pissed maybe they would all tell gamepark and they would wise up and change the specs before it was released.  Then we would all have the system we wanted and not a watered down version of it.

If everyone said they wanted more RAM, Faster CPU, backward compatibility etc. they may do it.  They already may be willing to up the RAM because of everyone bitchin'

Are you willing to pay more for these upgraded specs?

At the moment the price matches the spec ok. Anything more would bump the price up.

Alot of the current spec will be based around the design so I wouldnt waste your breath bitchin too much I doubt they will change too much if its due for release in october.

And all the comparison to other systems specs has got to stop.

Its like your expecting a dog to meow just because it has four legs

;)

Yes I would pay more for it. I would pay the equivalent of 25 GBP more to have beefier CPU and more ram, plus another 5 for BC.

Because once you buy it you are done. It saves you money in the long run too. If it is not obsolete so fast they wouldn't have to release another so soon costing you more to buy a new one again.

Reesy posted on Jul 30 2005 at 07:06 AM said:
DaveC posted on Jul 29 2005 at 11:07 PM said:
Reesy posted on Jul 29 2005 at 08:14 PM said:
DaveC posted on Jul 29 2005 at 06:46 PM said:
I really don't want to give up DrMd ....

Well you won't have to give up DrMD ;) A straight port of DrMD to this new system will probably be full speed at 180Mhz, well thats what I'm hoping anyway. If they've fixed the bus problems that the GP32 suffers from then this should be very possible.

Then all I have to do is make use of the 2d graphics chip to save some more time on the main cpu and then get MegaCD support in there :) I can't wait.

But doesn't the Mega CD have TWO 68000 CPUs and some DSP chips? How are you planning to emulate all of that stuff at 200 MHz? I know you are a great coder and if anyone could do it you probably could but I am super skeptical on that one. I would imagine a bug free cyclone core is important too but you seem to be close to squashing the last pesky bugs there.

You would be surprised how much time is spent rendering the display, if the 2d functions are any good on the Gpx2 then its going to save more enough free time to emulate a couple of extra cyclones but if there crap ( sort of like Zodiac) then your right I won't be able to do it. I'm hoping for a 2D engine sort of like the GBA's, probably not going to happen but let me dream :)

P.S The Mega CD only has one 68000 but its clocked at 12.5Mhz rather than 7.67Mhz. So I still think its possible as long as the 2d engine on the Gpx2 is good.

There is one in the cd at 12.5 but what about the 8 MHz one in the MD itself? Plus the DSPs for scaling and rotation?

Plus from what I have read about this 2D chip it is more of a simple CPU (ARM940T) with movie decompression stuff in it. It doesn't have sprite hardware, mode 7, or tile engines in it like the GBA :(

Another dumb idea of mine speaking of GBA Could decent GBA emulation be possible because the GPx2 uses an ARM and the GBA is an arm too? So you wouldn't even have to emulate the main cpu, it is the same type of CPU. So maybe you could emulate the GBA graphics chip on the other core while the main core does the GBA CPU. But that would take some snazzy codin'

DaveC posted on Jul 30 2005 at 07:55 AM said:
Another dumb idea of mine speaking of GBA Could decent GBA emulation be possible because the GPx2 uses an ARM and the GBA is an arm too? So you wouldn't even have to emulate the main cpu, it is the same type of CPU. So maybe you could emulate the GBA graphics chip on the other core while the main core does the GBA CPU. But that would take some snazzy codin'

This is kinda what I was thinking about in my long post in the first thread...
There's actually quite a few possibilities. One would be to take the GBA coprocessor away from the main core and give it to the accellerator (if that is feasable with the given chip). Another might be to make non-MMU-using programs for the GP32 compatible through a similar technique as used in GPadvance (don't see why not - I've been told the basic trick is actually quite straightforward, even though the result is fantastic, though not being a coder, I could be very very wrong). The only issue would be creating a GP32 bios for the GPx2, which iirc is how GPA was first done. That'd be complex, but I personally don't see it being impossible. Again, I could be wrong.

Others also include simply using it for stretching to full screen for those systems that had awkward resolutions without slowing down the actual emulation. Which of course will be running at a speed that is - and don't forget it - as fast as the very luckiest of us are able to get, but not the majority.

200MHz is not pittance... its just not as much as it could be. But there's still extra stff that'll come out of it methinks.

I still reckon, btw, that the only reason there isn' GP32 compatibility (or at least one of them) is the split from Gamepark. I reckon Gamepark still hold the rights to the bios. And I cannot see them giving them to what is now a rival company to use to add that compatibility we all want.

That does suggest, though, that a hacked GP32 bios might well give us everything we need if loaded on in the right way to the GPx2. Maybe.

But I'm speculating. Ignore me, or humour me, or get excited or don't. Unless you happen to know I'm talking sense, of course, in which case, please do tell!

You know what? This whole discussion is kinda useless. GPH won't move an inch due to us complaining or discussion wether 400mhz would be better than 200 + 2d acceleration.

And all this whining about "Baaah mommy... the GPx2 won't support Emulator XYZ... buaaaha" just wears off. Even IF the gpx2 would have the power, someone gotta port the emu. So stop complaining.

Why don't we just shut the fuck up and wait what happens in October?

DaveC.

Just want to say im pretty much om your side. so you'r not the only one who's littlebit sceptical about the GPX2.

But im just gonna wait at see, about whats gonna happen in october when its being released, before im gonna say anything.

reesy is officially onboard and is already talking about expanding his emu to cd support, if possible. Others will surely follow and new talent will be around the corner, so all is looking rosy.

btw, i noticed a quote on the gpx2 site mentioning, 'wait till september'

Maybe the launch could come sooner than we thought.

no_skill posted on Jul 30 2005 at 09:52 AM said:

Thats the most sensible thing I've read from all these damn threads

triksR4rabits posted on Jul 30 2005 at 10:20 AM said:
no_skill posted on Jul 30 2005 at 09:52 AM said:

Thats the most sensible thing I've read from all these damn threads

That's exactly why I haven't said much.... it's all been said, and we're getting just as bad as DaveC by repeating over and over the good points as well as the bad.

But, I do have faith that this system will be able to do a lot more than it seems capable of. And I will be getting one as soon as it is released (already preordered) and I will let you all know how it works out.

The only thing GPH seems to be concidering now are colors and wheter or not to bump the ram from 32 to 64 or not, so enevitably we're just going to have to take what we can get. They arn't trying to build a PSP killer because they know they realistically can't, atleast not at this point.

While Emmulators are an awesome thing to have, it's not GPH's plan to simply create a Emu platform to do that would invite every company that ever gets emmulated on it to sue them directly for makeing an intentional cipyright infringment device, even if they can't legally be held responsible the companies can still crush them under the weight of legal fees. So their bet bet is to create the GPX2 to be it's OWN system without making emmulation its most visible selling point. It has to be able to do other things and do them well enough to not look like they were just slapped on at the last minute to avoid litigation.

When it comes out it'll be all up to the coders the people who purchased their last system to truely run it through it's paces and squeeze performance out of it so personally I'd defer to their expertise and be hopefull that their minds are already working on cool new coding tricks that save as much time and energy as they can.

Alpha2 posted on Jul 30 2005 at 04:28 PM said:
The only thing GPH seems to be concidering now are colors and wheter or not to bump the ram from 32 to 64 or not, so enevitably we're just going to have to take what we can get. They arn't trying to build a PSP killer because they know they realistically can't, atleast not at this point.

While Emmulators are an awesome thing to have, it's not GPH's plan to simply create a Emu platform to do that would invite every company that ever gets emmulated on it to sue them directly for makeing an intentional cipyright infringment device, even if they can't legally be held responsible the companies can still crush them under the weight of legal fees. So their bet bet is to create the GPX2 to be it's OWN system without making emmulation its most visible selling point. It has to be able to do other things and do them well enough to not look like they were just slapped on at the last minute to avoid litigation.

When it comes out it'll be all up to the coders the people who purchased their last system to truely run it through it's paces and squeeze performance out of it so personally I'd defer to their expertise and be hopefull that their minds are already working on cool new coding tricks that save as much time and energy as they can.

Amen. Personally i can't wait for it, i do hope that they listen to us all and up the mem to 64MB, or even further. I'd have no problem at all with paying the extra money for the extra power. If this system is to be cheaper than the original GP32, why not stuff as much extra memory in it as possible and then just charge us the price (or slightly more) that we're all used to paying for a GP32 anyway?

I belive the zodiac contained 32 cheap or 128 expensive. One set size would be good. Personally I'd be happier if a number was thrown if its £50 more for 128 would I really want it. £100 definately not. £25 Do it!

Is 32-->64 a stopping point. If the addtional 32MB is £10 more its a go. But maybe I am the only one having an opinion on this, is what will I gain from having more.

Oddly I'm saying this like many people who have without real knowledge of what this will bring me will it give me NeoGeo Emulation,The Ur-Quan Masters,Full X-Org, but currently I'm not objective.

So for me and others who are clueless, and no best guess becuase mine is as good as any what will this bring in + cost gain for

size addition cost benefits

Also if linux is to be used in the nand I have more interest for that to be expanded to 128 as I would imagine it would be cheaper

I've just read some of the specs of the chip we're (probably) dealing with. There's plenty power, don't worry. You can all have fullspeed snes, and then some.

dance, rom monkeys, dance!

Back