Gran Turismo 4 Was Great, Now It's Ticking Me Off

bast525

heh... this isn't my month for racing games..

Okay, is it just me, or does every car in the game understeer horribly if you try to brake and turn at the same time?

For all the greatness that this game is, this is one flaw that is just unbelievable to me.

For instance, I have taken a 300ZX TT, and done lots of upgrades to it to get the power over 400hp, and full suspension and brake upgrades and all the goods.

now, in any other GT game, you would easily be able to make a high power rear wheel drive car easily slide the rear out in a turn, and if you got on the brakes hard in a turn forget it, you were spinning off the track. This is pretty realistic, IMO... I have a high power sporty car in real life, and I know if I take a fast turn in it and slam the brakes... heh... forget it, instant loss of control.

But now, every time I try to brake into a turn, all the car does is plow straight until I let off the brakes. So... I bought the brake balance adjuster, and started turning the balance more and more towards a stronger rear braking action, and lessening up the front, until I had the rear maxed out and the front at the bare minimum... and still, horrible understeer if I brake and turn at the same time.

That doesn't seem very realistic to me. I have been experimenting with suspension settings, differential settings, everything... but the only way I can get the car to spin when braking into a turn is if I set it up to be so loose that it's almost impossible to drive at all.

So tell me, is this just me? Is it something I'm doing wrong? This trend seems to apply to every rear wheel drive car I've tried, not just the Z. I understand that in true racing, you really dont want to brake into a turn anyways, but rather, brake before the turn, but still... if I slam on the brakes like that I should be able to get to spin, but as it stands I feel like my high HP ZX handles more akin to my wifes Geo....

If you guys can give me some tip for making the car not understeer so horribly when braking I'm all ears...

i wish i could give some advice, but i don't have GT4 yet, and it's been a long time since i last played GT3. isn't there like a huge website dedicated to gran turismo? have you tried checking out one and asking?

later and goodluck

oh and this sux too... I bought the new GT racing wheel, the one with the shifter on the side, and sold my older first gen GT wheel to a friend.

Well...after getting so fed up with the nasty understeer problem in GT4, I decided to go back and play some GT3 to lighten up and have the fun I've been missing in 4. Well.. I'll be damned if the new wheel doesn't just BARELY work with GT3. When it does it's auto calibration, the wheel doesn't calibrate right and ends up being cocked way off to the right. Also, I kept having odd problems with the pedals, like the brake pedal working in reverse (push it down causes the breaks to release and vice versa), and lastly, the shifter doesn't do anything at all.

So I'm even more pissed... I let that other wheel go for $20.... TWENTY BUCKS!! and now can't enjoy GT3 at all unless I want to play with the pad <_< :p

i wish i was that friend that got it for $20 :D
i seriously need a wheel, and i don't think i've ever owned one hah.

I've never owned the wheel either, I just dont have room for it.

The best advice I can give is NOT to break while turning hard, all it's going to do is widen you turning radius. You have to slow down to the approriate speed on the outside edge of the curve and turn into it, once you wheels are staight again you can accelerate.

GT isnt about flooring it it's about strategic management of brakes and making sure you have the best tires for the way you drive. One of the most important things you'll have to concentrate on as you tweak your car is improving your accelaration, because you MUST bring your speed down drastically for a lot of the courses. The first one back into the gas with good acceleration comming out of a turn is going to to be the winner (assuming he has the better line.).

Yup! They do understeer massively!

But it's because SCEE expect you not to be able to drive and leave the driver aids switched on by default.

There are three ...
Understeer control (stops you accelerating out of corners)
Oversteer control (Helps you steer into skids <_<)
Traction control (stops wheelspin)

The first two are complete pains in the ass and should be switched off completely.
The oversteer control kept throwing me off the track because it suddenly increases the steer angle without any warnings and made the game very not enjoyable.
The understeer control just slows you down.

They both try to take control of the car away from the driver, which is a Bad Thing (tm)

Traction control is handy, especially in the 700bhp TVR Speed12 .. it wheelspins in fifth :eek:

Back