Grand theft auto

No ones mentioned the GBC version. I got it running on GP32...granted i thought it sucked but hey its GTA edit: mofokubik beat me to it

I dont think its possible to get gta working on a dos emu for gp32 if i remember corectly it took a haigh speed pc to do it.

There was source code for a dos box (it emulated dos and a x86 processor on multi platforms) in the thread is it possible to have dos on gp32 or something like that search for dos.

:ph34r:

The original GTA was 3D... if you got rid of that, and maybe the superbikes because they made the screen scroll so fast, there is probably no reason why you couldn't do it. Except for the fact that it is far more work than anyone is going to do without being paid for it.

It looked 2d, but if you looked closely all the buildings sort of moved around in a 3D manner... Not a full 3D engine, but 3D enough to make it akward without FPU. There was a 3DFX optimised version.

The only way it really influenced gameplay was that it all zoomed out when you were going faster, and that shouldn't be too hard to do.

Is their a Release of anything like Grand Theft Auto for GP32 (Just thought their might have been seen as this thread hasnt been looked at for 2 months :D)??

There was an 8-bit version of the 1st GTA which ran on my mates 486 if i remember correctly. Surely this would run on the GP32 if Doom does... Maybe some1 could ask Rockstar for the source code?

i've had this conversation before, the original gta was fully 2d, it was just clever programming.

and to carlgeorge: it couldn't hurt you can already get it for free.

rockstar wants nobody to see how they created elite games like that. the chances are like 0,1% that you get the source code just so. maybe you can offer them some money.... a lot of money...

Wolfsclaw posted on Aug 26 2004 said:
rockstar wants nobody to see how they created elite games like that. the chances are like 0,1% that you get the source code just so. maybe you can offer them some money.... a lot of money...

I hate large companies like that, theyre so tight. If we go round with baseball bats and chainsaws wearing hawiian shirts theyd have to give it over :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil posted on Aug 26 2004 said:
i've had this conversation before, the original gta was fully 2d, it was just clever programming.
The co-ords of everything are X,Y,Z. Looks 3D enough to me.

Basically it relied on a fixed viewpoint which made the rendering a lot faster, but the algorithmns to render the scene are the same. It just draws a bunch of skewed textures as polygons. It's 3D. Maybe if it'll satisfy you we can call it 2.5D. But either way GBA can't handle it in its original form, that's why the Gameboy versions were 2D.

I think the GP32 could do it since it's a simplified 3D - a lot of calculations would be reduced to constants. It would be neat to make an engine for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The GameBoy ones were for the GBC and now R* is supposedly going to release a GTA game for the GBA.

I think that Payback (comming october 30th to the GBA) will do a much better job however since its been in developement for so long, has 11 cities, and is fully 3d, cars, peds, and all.

Man, that looks like a poor GTA ripoff. GTA conversion NEEDS to be done!

How was it that Doom was converted? Was the source code released?

Back