Greatest Retro Games Of All Time?

I'm 30 and grew up with a spectrum and then an atari lynx. My personal best retro games would therefore have to be Myth, Manic Miner and atic atac.

craigix posted on Feb 12 2007 at 05:32 PM said:
IMO Manic Miner is about as close to perfect as you can get.
I was playing Manic Miner 7 the other day, did you write that Craig?

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 12 2007 at 05:28 PM said:
lubidog posted on Feb 12 2007 at 11:21 AM said:
Orkie posted on Feb 12 2007 at 05:07 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 12 2007 at 02:00 AM said:
Im 19, and even I barely grew up with the NES. My gaming career really began towards the middle of the SNES era ;)

Sorry mate, I call BS.
What's to say fluffyhamster didn't have a NES and SNES in the house when growing up? Just because they weren't the latest thing doesn't mean they didn't have them.

Exactly.

DCGM, you can be such a twerp!
no no, I'm definitely correct on this, trust me.
I was born in 1989 and was playing Super Mario Bros. 2 and Isolated Warrior before I was 1.

1) That link showed up as a white nothingness in my Firefox browser .. maybe a missing plug-in or something ..
2) :lol: .. you have AOL :lol:
3) Tempest. That noisy spinny knob makes it an instant winner.

imo my favorite retro arcade game was defender, cause my dentist had it in his office and everytime i went there id spend my whole time waiting playing it! and thats what got me into old arcade games (kinda my weed to retroville) but as far as popularity, yeah its pacman..... tho dig dug was also pretty fun

TelcoLou posted on Feb 12 2007 at 04:50 PM said:
2) :lol: .. you have AOL :lol:
They just host my screen name. It's not like I use them other than to check my mail :lol: ;)

Actually, I find that AOL news is quite excellent. They bundle all the tops stories together, have polls to vote in, etc. I like it a lot :)

dosteridge posted on Feb 12 2007 at 06:41 PM said:
I'm 30 and grew up with a spectrum and then an atari lynx. My personal best retro games would therefore have to be Myth, Manic Miner and atic atac.

craigix posted on Feb 12 2007 at 05:32 PM said:
IMO Manic Miner is about as close to perfect as you can get.
I was playing Manic Miner 7 the other day, did you write that Craig?

Actually yes, it's only 5 levels though, but I thought I pushed the engine quite a bit with hacks such as the baddies can go though walls on level 3. I didn't think anyone would ever bring that up here! :)

In the excellent magazine Retro Gamer, a few months ago Mathew Smith said he fancied getting hold of a GP2X and having a go writing games on it for fun.

I would donate a lot for that. A lot!

Orkie posted on Feb 12 2007 at 11:07 AM said:
Just because they weren't the latest thing doesn't mean they didn't have them.

Yeah, exactly. I'm only 17 (1989, w00t), and I got my first game system, an NES in '95 or so. So, I guess I had outdated stuff... :D I really wish that I could've grown up with arcade games, as the only one I ever played suffeciently was Rush. :(

I too, sort-of dissagree with their list.
If I made a list of greatest retro games it would include, and I would say that making a list like this is a very hard one to make.
centiped
temptest
defender or stargate
Mrs. Pacman
Galaga
Juno First
Robotron
Bubble Bobble (this one might not belong here, but I just couldn't resist)

I think that retro gaming is a matter of personal taste or how one perceives gaming as a whole. Personally I really don't play any of the retro games because of any nostalgic feeling, I feel that the game play is really that good. And I feel that a lot of those old games are a lot of fun. I think that the eye candy of some of todays games has made some, of this generation of gamers, feel that the simple graphics means "no fun." And looking at some of the modern games one would have a tendency to draw that conclusion.

Being 51, I grew up with arcade gaming. Console gaming had it's start with delivering arcade gaming into the home. But console gaming has developed it's own style of gaming over the years that is different than the old retro arcade games of the past. And I really feel that arcade gaming is a matter of personal taste. Some people just don't like arcade gaming.

I have to say, for a quarters worth of entertainment (or 20p depending on where you live), you can't beat Black Tiger... hands down my favorite arcade game of all time. I disagree with the posted list, especially Dragons Lair - how lame was that game? I'd have to say, if you're old enough to remember, the best retro gaming was to be had by Space Invaders, Sea Wolf, Asteroids, Galaxian, Pacman, Berzerk, Black Tiger, Gauntlet, Venture, Donkey Kong, and Jungle King. This isn't an all inclusive list, just the most memorable that come to mind, and remember that arcade games at the time only had to compete with the Atari 2600 and Odyssey... tough choice.

craigix posted on Feb 12 2007 at 11:15 PM said:
Actually yes, it's only 5 levels though, but I thought I pushed the engine quite a bit with hacks such as the baddies can go though walls on level 3. I didn't think anyone would ever bring that up here! :)
Ahh, I havn't got to level three yet, its bloody hard, but I have to say very very good and addictive, anybody who likes manic miner and hasn't played it should give it a go:)

I think I remember somebody starting a topic on it a while ago in this section somewhere?

Edit: its in other consols http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=34880

Did no one hear me? Mathew Smith, THE MATHEW SMITH wants to write for our little toy!

Why has this not sent you geeks into frothing overdrive?

Eh???

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 11 2007 at 08:00 PM said:
fluffyhamster posted on Feb 11 2007 at 03:27 PM said:
I'm only 14, but the retro games have always had a large impact on me. I grew up on the NES and the SNES.
Im 19, and even I barely grew up with the NES. My gaming career really began towards the middle of the SNES era ;)

Sorry mate, I call BS.

We only owned 2 consoles until i was 7, and i still own them. . . . they were the nes and snes.

lubidog posted on Feb 13 2007 at 01:18 PM said:
Did no one hear me? Mathew Smith, THE MATHEW SMITH wants to write for our little toy!

Eh???
"Write" for sale or for homebrew?

Also, I had to google that name. I'm not a true retrogamer I guess. :(

Ravnos posted on Feb 14 2007 at 08:54 AM said:
lubidog posted on Feb 13 2007 at 01:18 PM said:

Eh???
"Write" for sale or for homebrew?

Also, I had to google that name. I'm not a true retrogamer I guess. :(

Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy are his great moments. Manic Miner is a perfect game!

lubidog posted on Feb 13 2007 at 08:18 PM said:

Eh???
Thats great news, wasnt he really young when he released manic miner?

I knew someone the got so frustrated with Burger Time that they got a hammer and smashed it to bits. Thats a true story.

EDIT: It was on the NES.

Who has played Super Burger Time on MAME? It's awesome, much better than the original IMO :D

lubidog posted on Feb 13 2007 at 08:18 PM said:

Eh???

Would be fantastic. He is a true hero for any '8bit home computing' fan of the 80s.

But I'm dubious anything will come of it. Hope I'm wrong.

Back