Greetings from Greece and Bavaria

What about the rubber surface of the old Thinkpad 600 series?
If that's anything like the rubber surface of the original Psion Series 5, that rubbed off in your pocket after a couple of years and looked pretty ugly. So for the 5MX revision they changed to painting it grey (although perhaps they applied a better coating than my Pandora has).

For the prototypes I know they used various hi-vis colours, which they assumed nobody in their right mind would want, but looking at the people wanting bright yellow Pyras I wouldn't be so sure.

Dark grey for me personally though.

Edit: LXDE versus XFCE probably doesn't make a lot of difference for this purpose - they're both GTK2 based. Personally I found the LXDE login manager easier to set up and configure on my laptop here, so I use lightdm to log in to XFCE. Maybe Niklaus is similarly more familiar with LXDE, so using this to get the system up.

Last edited:
I still prefer the black of the original 600MHz Pandora because it reminds me of the Thinkpads I grew up on. It feels like something I can pull out and show around in any circumstance without worrying about whether the person will judge it based on appearance.

I did prefer the black Pandora at first. Now I'm used to the Silver one. Can't imagine for a Pandora like device to be black any more.
Anyways I'd like to have it red or black.

@EvilDragon: Did you hear me. If you do some color testing make a dark red case for me ;).

I did prefer the black Pandora at first. Now I'm used to the Silver one. Can't imagine for a Pandora like device to be black any more.
Anyways I'd like to have it red or black.

@EvilDragon: Did you hear me. If you do some color testing make a dark red case for me ;).
Yup, dark red works for me too... and ed used a dark red Pyra render for the home page too... bright yellow curiously works for me too.

And why not custom colors? ED said once that change the color didn't make the production more expensive and if ED said, ED do... :p

And why not custom colors? ED said once that change the color didn't make the production more expensive and if ED said, ED do... :p

Yeah, if a few colors can be offered at launch, and if it doesn't cause any extra cost or headaches, why not? My personal favorite was the "yellow" rendering, but the "dark red" and a few other colors where very nice.

I've said this before, but I would like the to see the Pyra offered in colors that are different than those of the Pandora(black & grey). I think it should differentiate itself from it's predecessor, and stand on it's own.

I know others have said they don't see the same colors as an issue, but I could easily see those who aren't very familiar with these systems histories, easily thinking the Pyra is the Pandora, or vise versa. Just my 2 cents on the subject. Pyra FTW!

Chris

If my knowledge of injection molding doesn't betray me, changing colors in pro-run, would mean some parts being two collored, like the "marbel" cake (Marmorkuchen in German). Could give some cool 2-colored cases with weired, unpredictable, unique cases-colors... (I would take one of those...).

Desktop choice should be next to "doesn't matter, since I will be easy to change, when using debian repros anyway..

I guess there are two ways to make different colors:
- per productioin run (each run one color)
- or as mentiond above, while extruder is running, put one bag of color A) granulates followed by one bag of color B) in it, which should lead to the mentioned effect.

That will only be more costly, if colorchanging cases are deposited. And of course it will be hell to organize when to put what color to have all customes satisfied...

I just think it would be shame to obscure all the hard work done laying out those beautiful PCBs just to hide them behind some opaque injection molded plastic. I want my enclosure to be as open and transparent as the entire design process for this device has been.

Clearly, the only sensible choice of colour is clear. Vote clear plastic 2016.

I just think it would be shame to obscure all the hard work done laying out those beautiful PCBs just to hide them behind some opaque injection molded plastic. I want my enclosure to be as open and transparent as the entire design process for this device has been.

I worry that that would be distracting, compared with an opaque case. It would be worse with various LEDs on, like the keyboard backlight system.

I like looking at components on a PCB as much as the next guy, but only one word comes to mind when you talk about a clear case. Tacky!

Give me a dark matte opaque plastic case over a transparent or translucent one any day of the week.

-Neelix

Me: too stupid to use the forum. (and somehow expectet it in this thread)
Thanks for hinting

Personally I still like the black color of the original Pandora. Of course, my laptops are Thinkpads and my towers are ThinkStations so Black is kind of my color lol.

I like looking at components on a PCB as much as the next guy, but only one word comes to mind when you talk about a clear case. Tacky!

Give me a dark matte opaque plastic case over a transparent or translucent one any day of the week.

-Neelix

Taste is subjective, but you're still objectively wrong.

Nah I'm kidding. I respect your position, I just don't share it. Here's hoping we're both satisfied with whatever colour we get.

Back