Release guitar hero clone for pandora

64vm4n

Still Fresh
on the pandora wouldn't it be cool to plug in a usb keyboard and use enter to strum and F1, F2, F3, F4, F5 as frets and have play music on the go

Re: guitar hero

There will be no Guitar Hero on Pandora. There is a similar open source game called Frets on Fire though, which has at least some chance of being ported one day.

Re: guitar hero

How exactly do you plan to get GH running on the Pandora anyway? You surely mean Frets on Fire? If so it needs either to be ported to use GL ES instead of regular GL, or use a mod which relies only on SDL. In any case it would be an option to plug in a guitar controller and say, output to TV--tada, portable GH :)

I'm quite interested in "portable" (still needs the dance mats) DDR and PIU with StepMania as well :)

Psst Guys... :ph34r: The Thread title is "guitar hero CLONE for pandora", so I guess the Thread creator did know from the beginning that a Port of the original Guitar Hero is not Possible. :wink: (at least he didn't demand it)

Kimundi said:
Psst Guys... :ph34r: The Thread title is "guitar hero CLONE for pandora", so I guess the Thread creator did know from the beginning that a Port of the original Guitar Hero is not Possible. :wink:
Pretty sure he edited that.

Even though there would be some dificulty in porting Frets on Fire to use only OGLES and SDL, there is a very similar (compatible), GH clone called guitar fun, which has less graphically intensive requirements (it has been ported to run on the wii).

Well since there is USB, It would be totally cool if you could get one of the USB guitars to work with the Pandora.
That could be some really nice mobile fun. :)

as someone who made the mistake of getting a usb guitar as a gift, I have this to say: it sucks and is driver hell. the coder of a program would have one hell of alot of work set for him

PoisonedV said:
as someone who made the mistake of getting a usb guitar as a gift, I have this to say: it sucks and is driver hell. the coder of a program would have one hell of alot of work set for him

I didn't think that the USB HID interface was that complex for the USB devices. I am pretty sure that if you ran the GH clone on top of Linux, the driver could be obtained for one of the USB guitars.

I need to go and do a search to see if there are some Linux drivers for one of the controllers. If there were, then a Frets on Fire port or something like that could be a possibility.

The other thing that could be done is to use an Ultimarc or GroovyGameGear USB keyboard controller. Take the Guitar apart and wire the buttons etc to the controller. Then you have keys mapped from the axe.

Heck I think I have a spare GGG controller and a GH controller with a broken whammy bar. I might give it a shop depending on what software becomes available.

I can always dream :D

there is a frets on fire mod that makes it look EXACTLY like guitar hero,and your able to import songs from guitar hero I and II and even custom tracks.Also frets on fire runs on linux and is open source however the code will probably require some optimization for the pandora as the pandora just about fits the minimum requirements

Well considering that it is a handheld device I would rather see a DJ Max Portable clone.

ryan0 said:
there is a frets on fire mod that makes it look EXACTLY like guitar hero,and your able to import songs from guitar hero I and II and even custom tracks.Also frets on fire runs on linux and is open source however the code will probably require some optimization for the pandora as the pandora just about fits the minimum requirements

Sounds cool.

Frets on Fire is written in python I believe and has EXTREMELY heavy specs. I know that on a computer (x86) at 1.5GHz with 512mb of ram and 128mb video ram running xp it lags a ton at 1024x768

Back