H.264 Ipod Mp4 Movies?

While we're on the topic, can the Pandora handle 720p/1080p mkv/etc videos?

E_I said:

This is relevent to my interests. Requesting vid. Will be making new thread for this request if I don't get a response.

Last edited by a moderator:
Transmition said:
E_I said:

This is relevent to my interests. Requesting vid. Will be making new thread for this request if I don't get a response.
MKV is just a container, it usually has h.264 video in it. We've seen video of a Beagleboard playing 720p h.264, but it was using a proprietary DSP codec - it's unlikely to impossible that the CPU will ever decode these at a reasonable speed. You can forget abot 1080p.

(Incidentally, I just upgraded my MythTV box from a slightly-overclocked Pentium 4, which could (smoothly, if barely) play 720p h.264, to a slightly-overclocked Athlon 64 FX-55, which will just about do full-speed 1080p h.264. Even with the FX-55, standard-definition Hulu videos are not completely smooth in full-screen mode (1366x768) - I thought those were some variant of h.264, but either I was wrong, or Flash is doing something horrendous somewhere (quite probable)).

It's probably falling victim to the alphablending rule.

If an alpha blended symbol is present on any layer in the flash movie, the entire movie has to be alpha blended? ;) I think it went something like that.

It bumps up the CPU and GPU power required a whole lot.

Transmition said:
[This is relevent to my interests. Requesting vid. Will be making new thread for this request if I don't get a response.
Mind you don't throw your Pandora out with the rest of your toys!

Transmition said:
E_I said:

There's lots of topics about this just search ^^

Pandora never support 1080P ou i H264 but maybe 720P if a codec use the DSP with the CPU. The CABAC or bitstream need lots of power to be decode on CPU

As to playing H264 video...

A AMD X2 3500+ won't keep up with playing 720p with a good quality bitrate. Now, that same machine will play 1080p video smoothly if you have a video card with CUDA support and a playback codec that will use it (something like the CoreAVC). FFMpeg won't keep up if running in pure software (cpu decoding).

That being said, unless you are using a DSP based coded on the Panda then you'll not get decent playback at anything over screen resolution (and even that might be iffy if your bitrate is cranked too high).

Just my experience.

Chip said:
Pleng said:
dflemstr said:
pizlo said:
64 gig SD's wont work on pandora, you can use 2 32's though
They *may* possibly work but nobody has tested them yet.

Fixed that for ya

SDXC cards are unlikely to work at all. When someone eventually releases a 64GB SDHC card, it will almost certainly work. At worst, only a minor change to the SDHC driver would fix it.

there's little chance that SDHC cards over 32GB will be made, the 2.0 standard dictates an artificial limit of 32GB.

they want to force people to switch to SDXC and specially to the attached Microsoft proprietary exFAT format so there will be a new Microsoft Tax attached to all generic consumer SDXC devices.

when SDXC cards come out it wont be long before Linux supports them, you'll have to reformat them to FAT32 or ext2 but otherwise there shouldn't be a problem once a SDXC driver is available.

EDIT: and if you see 64GB SDHC cards or larger on the web: DO NOT BUY! its most likely they are fake. SD, SDHC, SDXC cards can be reprogrammed to lie about their real size.

I don't know... SDHC was not backwards compatible. Look at DS flashcarts, for example. All the companies had to make new ones to work with SDHC.
The worst part is that there is enough room in an SDHC's filesystem area to hold up to 2 TB of data, but the company wanted to force people into buying new ones, so they decided to release a new standard and make it non-backwards-compatible rather than simply releasing an updated standard.

Stupid, greedy, evil, lazy standards company!

Tom` said:
Transmition said:
E_I said:

MKV is just a container, it usually has h.264 video in it. We've seen video of a Beagleboard playing 720p h.264, but it was using a proprietary DSP codec - it's unlikely to impossible that the CPU will ever decode these at a reasonable speed. You can forget abot 1080p.
Interesting... all of my MKVs are AVI Video...

fearofshorts said:
I don't know... SDHC was not backwards compatible. Look at DS flashcarts, for example. All the companies had to make new ones to work with SDHC.
1) This is because they are actually different. An SD card could not possibly hold more than 4GB, and even that was with a hack that didn't work. They had to change things to get larger cards. SDHC has a soft cap that they may simply be dropping for the SDXC, since both SDXC and SDHC have the same possible capacity.
2) There were a lot of devices originally designed with mere SD cards in mind that were then able to be upgraded to use SDHC with nothing more than new firmware. The Wii is a prime example. Even if SDHC and SDXC are different, there's still a chance for a similar firmware upgrade.

BackAssward said:
Guuh... buh? You have broken my brain.
That's like saying "all of my plastic storage bins are cardboard boxes".

WizardStan said:
BackAssward said:
Well, "MKV is just a container, it usually has h.264 video in it.", normally my MKV's have AVI video in them.
What's odd? The storage is plastic, the contents AVI, to use your example.

BackAssward said:
WizardStan said:
BackAssward said:
Well, "MKV is just a container, it usually has h.264 video in it.", normally my MKV's have AVI video in them.
What's odd? The storage is plastic, the contents AVI, to use your example.
'
Except that AVI is also a contain that most often has xvid or dvix video.

If people aren't confused enough though, I have made some .avis with h.264 video.

I would hope he means he has .mkv's with Divx or Xvid encoding. Otherwise yeah, all my plastic storage bins are cardboard boxes seems right, which makes me wonder then what my cardboard boxes are, plastic storage bins or something else?! Now my brain hurts.

Ok, I was over simplistic or a bit dumb. My MKV's have AVI with usually xvid or divx. Yes AVI is a container itself, but my media debuging device tells me it is AVI within MKV. So a container in a container, or my media debugging software is full of crap.

Please stop confusing people about H.264. 4.0 and 5.1 are not profiles, these are levels. Levels define required decoder performance (bits per second, pixels per second and memory availability) while profiles define decoding capabilities (like B-frames, arithmetic coding, interlace tools).
Level 3.0 is designed for SDTV/DVD throughput and 4.0 is HDTV. So sure you can compress a DVD setting level to 5.1 but it can only cause problems when you try to feed it to a decoder that actually looks at declared level, the content will be still @3.0.

As for Pandora my guess is that it could do level 3.0 in baseline profile and 2.0 in main/high at most. Probably you could prepare a low bit rate baseline profile 720p@24fps stream that would decode, but whats the point if you don't have an HD capable display in Pandora.

Kramy said:
iPod videos are likely H.264 4.0 profile.

I wonder if the Pandora will play 5.1 profile vids. I've encoded a few DVDs to that - if you really ramp up the settings, it can hit the memory and CPU usage quite hard.

For comparison, H.264 (4.0 profile) uses about 30MB RAM in my media player (MPC-HC), and ~4-6% CPU usage. The 5.1 profile with B-Frames, CABAC and all quality enhancements enabled uses closer to 12-18% CPU usage, and around 90MB RAM.

After playing back the entire vid, the CPU time (task manager) is literally 3x higher. And that ~15% average is on an Athlon II 3.5ghz. The upside is the smaller filesize.

As soon as I get my Pandora, I'm putting it through a barrage of video tests to find out where the playback line is. :D

BackAssward said:
So a container in a container, or my media debugging software is full of crap.
That doesn't sound right. Either your media debugging software just calls everything AVI, or it's actually an AVI that was renamed to MKV would be my guess.

WizardStan said:
BackAssward said:
That doesn't sound right. Either your media debugging software just calls everything AVI, or it's actually an AVI that was renamed to MKV would be my guess.
You can't have "a container in a container". It doesn't work that way. Use a reliable video information program, like Mediainfo. If it says your files are AVIs, then someone just changed the extensions.

Chip said:
WizardStan said:
BackAssward said:
You can't have "a container in a container". It doesn't work that way. Use a reliable video information program, like Mediainfo. If it says your files are AVIs, then someone just changed the extensions.
I stand corrected. Using that tool, I can see various Video codecs, none of which are 'AVI'. I haven't seen H.264 as of yet though, I tried 4 so far.

My apologies for having bad/inaccurate tools.

B.

(btw, yes you can have multiple levels of containers, depending on the medium. Recursiveness can and does happen).

Back