Handheld Dilemma

OMars

Website
Visit site
I can buy a psp with a 2GB card today, because I'm not broke anymore...ooooor I can get DS and a flash cart for around the same price. The other option is not likely, but there is word that a redesigned psp will come out at the end of this summer. So, I need answers quick to know if I should get it, before I blow all my money on something else! :p Bills are approaching.

Thanks for the answers in advance!
-OMars

Vito'd.

Go for the DS. Seriously, there are not enough good games on the PSP to make it worthwile.

Also, with the DS, free games!

On the other hand... Free games screw up gameplay <_<

The only reason I want to buy a PSP for is Ridge Racer. Best race game ever!

I'm in the same position as you almost, except I have to wait a couple of weeks before I get my money.. <_<
Anyway, I have already decided on the PSP. ( Plus, I've already owned a DS before, not Lite though. )

Reason for PSP:

PSX emulation. ( FINALLY, I will be able to play Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy IX on the go. And this time I will probably finish them both.. No, I WILL finish them both! Not to mention, LOTS of games available to play. )
Bleach: Heat The Soul 4. ( I love Bleach, I love fighters. This game has a lot of recent material from the manga. )
Burnout Legends. ( It's like if I have a portable Xbox in my pocket. :D )
Metal Slug Anthology. ( Best 2D-action/shooters ever? )
Me and my Katamari. ( I never had a PS2, so this will be my first time enjoying a Katamari Damacy game. )
Loco Roco. ( I heard this game is supposed to be good. )
Megaman: Powered Up. ( Never played the first game, this is my chance, and with upgraded graphics too. )
Megaman: Maverick Hunter X. ( Megaman X is one of my absolute favorite games for the SNES, I can seriously beat it with my eyes closed.. It will be great fun to play the game again with really nice graphics and the option to play as VILE! )
Tales of Eternia. ( I loved the fighting system from Tales of Phantasia on the SNES, and a portable RPG with beautiful 3D-graphics that seems good. )
Rocky Balboa. ( Heard this game is not very good.. But I liked Rocky for gamecube and Rocky Legends for the Xbox, so I might like this one too since I'm a big Rocky-fan. )

The DS have some great games too, but I had it for a year and got very bored towards the end. ( Feb 2007. ) If you want to play online be prepared to play with friends, because on worldwide you will most likely run into little kids that really like cheating.. Action Replays or hacking. Or if they don't "cheat" and you think you will win? Forget it, they will disconnect from the game when there's 5 seconds left and you will not gain any points. ( However, they still lose points, but they don't care as long as you don't get any.. )

So if you want to play on wifi, get ready to play with friends for the most part.

Some great games for DS though:

Mario Kart DS
Tetris DS
Animal Crossing
42 All-Time Classics
Bleach DS
Bleach DS 2nd
Hotel Dusk
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright: Justice for All
Yoshi's Island 2
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Picross DS

Get a ds if you want lots of good games, psp has very few games that keep me interested, if the games dont piss you off, the controls will. only two games that are worth playing on psp are hot shots golf and ridge racer, both launch games.

OMars said:
That money is gone, now. Used on bills, etc. I'll have to wait again. <_<
Good choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Titcher said:
OMars said:
That money is gone, now. Used on bills, etc. I'll have to wait again. <_<
Good choice.

You know, that's quite funny, but now I have some more money to spend, and no more bills! :p

So, I've decided to go with the psp, I already have the 2GB stick now and I'm going to get the psp with a case soon. Can't wait to downgrade, upgrade to 3.40 OE fw, and then play my collection of gba, snes, nes, gen, and gbc games. Hopefully, I'll get it within the next few days.

BTW, does anybody here play socom or socom 2 on the psp? I would love to get you screen names and we could go at it in online!

i dont think ive ever gone online with my psp (playing games anyway) but the ds is brilliant for online, tetris ds, mariokart, bomberman, animal crossing, only downside is nintendos crappy friend codes system.

It definitely doesn't have the shear game library, and even number of good games.

But, its good games are superb. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is Amazing, as are Ace Combat X, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, and SOCOM: U.S. Navy Seals. Just as well, the built-in browser is better than any homebrew or commercial browser for the DS. And, the online games are far better on the psp. The emulator are as good as most other similar portables (some are better on the gp2x, though). And, I can't complain about the screen, it is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Full of color and contrast. Its backlight is amazing, too. It's battery life is somewhere around that of the GP2X's. I got a lot for my money when I bought this little gadget!

I only wish that there were more games out for it. :(

OMars said:
It definitely doesn't have the shear game library, and even number of good games.

But, its good games are superb. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is Amazing, as are Ace Combat X, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, and SOCOM: U.S. Navy Seals. Just as well, the built-in browser is better than any homebrew or commercial browser for the DS. And, the online games are far better on the psp. The emulator are as good as most other similar portables (some are better on the gp2x, though). And, I can't complain about the screen, it is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Full of color and contrast. Its backlight is amazing, too. It's battery life is somewhere around that of the GP2X's. I got a lot for my money when I bought this little gadget!

I only wish that there were more games out for it. :(
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror is a must-buy. You'll love it, I promise.

The online games arent better on the psp (unless you are talking about the variation and how many different types there are to take online.) I mean I know the ds doesnt have loads of online games but the ones it does have are superb. Yes the friend code system is kinda annoying but its been 18 months since it was implemented. I've gotten used to it now. I dont normally play against friends online anyway. Mario Kart for example, i just play against anyone worldwide even if they beat me every race. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy of pokemon on ds. Decided i want one so i have 3 weeks to wait till it comes out in the UK and to get the money for it

The one ds game, though, that has been ruined by hackers i Metroid Prime Hunters. Don't know about anyone else but i like to play the game the way it was intended and not by using hacks that allow you to be invincible.

Back