Handhelds for hardware hacking

HelenF

Very Active Member
I'm wondering about small programmable devices with built-in screen, buttons, battery pack, and accessible GPIO. So far I'm aware of the Odroid Go, Gamebuino META, and Pokitto. (The Pandora sort of counts, but has a fragile connector, and running a real OS is a downside for performance here.) Have I missed any?

Seems like with most of these things, the outlook for long-term availability isn't that good. So if you develop a cool project and want to share it with people, they might not be able to get the base device any more. Or even replacing your own device if you break it...

Gameduino 3 seems to be out. But the Gameduinos are just shields, without cases or battery support. For a cheap text-only version, there's the "LCD Keypad Shield" (which I would bet on for long-term availability, since it looks to have been taken up by multiple Chinese manufacturers for mass eBay sales).

You could still grab a brand new PocketCHIP off eBay, but I dont know how big the community and dev scene still is.

I'm wondering about small programmable devices with built-in screen, buttons, battery pack, and accessible GPIO. So far I'm aware of the Odroid Go, Gamebuino META, and Pokitto. (The Pandora sort of counts, but has a fragile connector, and running a real OS is a downside for performance here.) Have I missed any?

The zipit z2 fits the bill

Reactions: ___
Thanks for the replies. I went and ordered a Pokitto to add to my collection. I'm still planning to play around with the Odroid Go some more. And if I'm trying to do something where having Linux is helpful, I'll probably use the Pandora.

Maybe this one is interesting for you: MAKERPhone
It's from the same guy that built the MAKERbuino.

84a5dcdd2c977ef30a8ec2b646e8e0f8_original.jpg

Looks cool, although I can't help thinking I'd get detained at the station for using it :(

I think that ~100€ for a learning experience like this could be considered cheap even if in the end you will not use it as your main phone... I speak as someone that knows absolutely nothing about electronics

Back