Has anyone tried a Plasma Workplaces environment?

notyu1459

Still Fresh
The pandora has sampled a few environments, such as XFCE and MIniMenu, but has anyone tried a KDE Plasma Workplaces environment, such as Kubuntu? I'm just wondering, because I think it would turn out pretty cool if it worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.pandorawiki.org/Debian_On_SD#Desktop_Environment

> Having recently tested KDE myself, it doesn't quite seem to work properly, so I'd avoid that for the moment... especially as it takes about ten hours to install!

It's about Debian Squeeze. Didn't try that myself. Some Gentoo (yes, Gentoo again) guys reported they managed to make it work real fast on 'weak' machines by building it without several parts of it (Strigi to stop it from indexing files, Nepomuk to get rid of SQL and lower RAM usage, probably KDEpim disabled, not sure about the details), but it would take forever to compile.

Roger that, then. If anyone tries this, I recommend using a recent version of kwin (from plasma workspaces 4.7.1), since it now has OpenGL ES 2 support and several performance enhancements compared to those only few releases in the past. IIRC the one in 4.8 will have some big performance enhancement as well.

Back