Has anyone tried this little Firefox performance tip on the Pandora?

Prometheus

I was pointed to this bit of advice (check the comments as well, if you give it a look) some time ago, and performed the tweak described therein on my Xubuntu box. It sped Firefox up considerably, even affecting its start-up time (it cut that down to either a half or a third of what it was as standard - it's been long enough now that I no longer remember how it was before).

I was just wondering if anyone's tried it on the Pandora? I genuinely haven't had the time to, which is what's prompted me to ask about it.

If not, I suppose it's something that's worth a look if you're trying to squeeze a bit more out of Firefox. :p

Tried it on a SD card install of the Firefox in the Angstrom Repo. I did notice a small, but perceivable improvement. Mostly due to the fact that Firefox was no longer fighting itself for resources.

Start time was slightly increased - slightly.

I will try this with the Repo Firefox later, have to downgrade because Firefox 8 Beta 3 crashes on my Pandora.

Another one is browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers: set to 0 it won't keep any history in memory. This means if you hit back/forward it needs to rebuild the page, but that only takes a couple of seconds. If you do it a lot, that'll really add up, but I don't think most people really have a need for their browser to be able to display what they were looking at 10 links ago instantly, eh?

Interesting. Would be cool if hdonk could include an optimized config in his FireFox PND :)

Okay, I tried and used the following yesterday for some testing and it seems to have improved things, though of course not completely fixed it:

browser.cache.memory.capacity = 16384

browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers = 5

The first had to be added manually. I set the 2nd one to 5 since especially with rather slowish public wifis (like in hotels or at airports) a working "back" entry makes lots of sense. Trust me, been there... Without those changes firefox tends to crash after maybe 30mins of usage. With those settings it appears to have been working longer until it crashed with "OutOfMemory". Especially the amount of memory used for file cache was larger than before, so firefox could at most times still have used more space.

I made a quick check some Days ago in Firefox 6 on the Pandora and "browser.cache.memory.capacity " does not even exists there. I didn't know this can be added manualy but I will try this now of course. :) So, 16384 is a useful number on the pandora Firefox? Good to know.

I't would be really helpful if such optimized settings (maybe there is more that could improve FF on the Pandora) could be already set automaticly during FF install on the Handheld.

edit: my browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers value is set to -1 per default, is this good or bad?

edit2: ah, -1 means auto, depending on the RAM and for 256MB RAM it is set to 3 pages if this info here is correct

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers#Possible_values_and_their_effects

Last edited by a moderator:
heres an idea, quit crashing firefox, and start using midori

Midori is my Main Browser for the Pandora. ;)

I use Firefox for the"bigger" sites where add blockers an Flash stuff is required. Sites like Google Maps work better with Firefox than with Midori.

Back