Hello, Just Joined The Community

Welcome!

You don't have to be mad to spend time here but...

Actually, you do have to be mad to spend time here, but in a* good way :)

*Edit: Probably

Last edited by a moderator:
i think th*twitch*at this is rather a v*twitch*ery easy going and calming foru*twitch*m to follow. not sure wh*twitch*ere you think the madness is needed to stay with this *twitch* project

@ FBnil: I got two 32 gb sd cards. I'll get even bigger ones later.

My Pandora came today finally!!!

I checked the device itself and everything is in order, all the nobs and buttons work, screen is perfect, no defects.

I read the quick install manual. Put in the battery, and went thru the initial setup fine! I love it!! I'm just going to look around and play with it.

I have a quick question: How do I change the name of my SD cards? Also, is my "firmware" or OS up to date since its a new Pandora? How can I tell?

@Binky: Hello, and thank you for the welcome.

So far all of the .pnd files I collected and placed into my subfolders work. I installed java, and my liber office works. TrueCrypt works. The Vice x64 emulator worked, I had a hard time getting out of it and returning back to the pandora screen.

I placed my flash drive into th USB port in the back and nothing happened? So I went to > system and enabled USB host. I put my flash drive back in, and the light on the flash drive turned on, but I didn't see a new drive letter pop up in the file system. How do I make a flash drive work on the Pandora?

I put my flash drive back in, and the light on the flash drive turned on, but I didn't see a new drive letter pop up in the file system. How do I make a flash drive work on the Pandora?
There are no drive letters.  The easiest way for you is probably to connect the drive, turn on USB host, then open a file manager (isn't Thunar or something the default?).  You should see it listed there.  I think you change SD card names there as well.

I just noticed you said you went to system to turn USB host on.  There may be a thingy (icon or whatever) on the bar that lets you do it from there.  If not you can add one.

Hi welcome on Board ;)

Normaly you activate USB Host and put in a Stick.

Then in Thunar should i t appear but sometimes Partition Formats like Exfat can cause Problems.

Which Partition Types do you have on your Stick?

NTFS?Fat32?Linux Formats like Ext,RaiserFS or near should all work,only little Problems with Exfat actualy.

You can see what is wrong when you open a Terminal and type

dmesg

and all System Messages are there but the importants are here the last 5 or 6 Rows.

Error Messages can you post here and we should can Help ^_^

Maybe my Text was too long and all work fine,then you find your Files in :D

/media/

Greetings from Germany :)

Then in Thunar should i t appear but sometimes Partition Formats like Exfat can cause Problems.
I didn't even think of that.  This is probably the issue.

Yellow Kitty, If this is the case there is something in the repo I have forgotten the name of that can help.

there is an Exfat driver, it works rather well, but It is not "compatible" with all apps, there's no response as to why, but you are able to see files in thunar as example while some emulator (and more annoyingly panplayer) do not show anything on the Exfat device.

you can find this in the following thread:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/12602-exfat-cutting-through-the-bs-solved/

Also you need to install the codec pack for ntfs/exfat support.

Best is to format your stick to fat32.

Thank you for the helpful replies everyone! I installed the Community Codec, as well as the exFat installer as suggested. After the installation my Kingston 512 gb flash drive [usb 3.0] actually worked fine on the Pandora!!!! That is exciting... except that's not the flash drive I had in mind :) I have an older 128 gb flash drive [usb 2.0] with about 12-15 movies on it. This flash drive doesn't appear in the Thunar file thing. I'll try and figure it out today...

I used Thunar to try and change the name of my sd cards, but couldn't figure it out. I tried to use the terminal with the command mlabel -i etc... and the terminal said that mlabel is not a command. I'll try and figure this out too.

@Ingoreis: Guten tag mein freunde! Ich sprechen pochito de Aleman (y espanol y esperanto tambien). I took elementary German in high school for a year!

@RygD: Thank you... I found an exFat installer pnd and used it. It worked.

Plugin the flash drive and type "dmesg" in a terminal. This will print out kernel messages. The last few lines should be related to the drive. Post them here, so we might find out why it's not working.

Plugin the flash drive and type "dmesg" in a terminal. This will print out kernel messages. The last few lines should be related to the drive. Post them here, so we might find out why it's not working.
Thank you for the advice. I was just about to do as you said, but I plugged in the 128 gb flash drive and it works now :) It's listed in Thunar and the File System. I can see all the movie files... now I'll try to figure out how to make my Pandora play the movies!!! I'll be back later today.

You would have to use commandlinetools to change the label of the card. Or you rename it in Windows.

Another way could be to use the gparted pnd, but be careful what you do with this tool as it also can erase and create partitions on your drive.

You would have to use commandlinetools to change the label of the card. Or you rename it in Windows.

Another way could be to use the gparted pnd, but be careful what you do with this tool as it also can erase and create partitions on your drive.
Oh, I'll use windows then! Thanks a lot McObit.

I have a question for anyone: On the desktop bar with the time, wi-fi, and indicator for how much battery power you have left, there is a strange number just beneath the percentage of battery power you have left. What does that number mean? It looks like the time, but it changes. Sometimes it's 00:00, I saw it was 208:11 once. What is that telling me?

Also: is there an alternative way to 'shift'? I've noticed that when using the pandora keyboard, when you want to write a captial A, Q, Z, or make the symbols < >, that it's very hard! You have to hold the shift key down with one finger of a hand, and stretch your other hand all the way across the keyboard, in such a way where you don't drop your pandora? Is there a "better" way?

Also: is there an alternative way to 'shift'? I've noticed that when using the pandora keyboard, when you want to write a captial A, Q, Z, or make the symbols < >, that it's very hard! You have to hold the shift key down with one finger of a hand, and stretch your other hand all the way across the keyboard, in such a way where you don't drop your pandora? Is there a "better" way?
Do a caps lock :) just like on a regular computer.

I have a question for anyone: On the desktop bar with the time, wi-fi, and indicator for how much battery power you have left, there is a strange number just beneath the percentage of battery power you have left. What does that number mean? It looks like the time, but it changes. Sometimes it's 00:00, I saw it was 208:11 once. What is that telling me?
If you are talking about what I think you are it is the amount of time for battery life left at current usage.  I think it goes to 00:00 when charging.  My desktop layout is customized, so little of the original stuff is there.  That was one of the last things I got rid of, and I am now using live system info, which is great because I can see it regardless of what I am doing, and I can hide it by hitting F12.  A great combo of a clean desktop and more info than I need at any time.

Do a caps lock :) just like on a regular computer.
That hardly helps the situation. It would be nice if one could "sticky" the shift so the next (non simultaneous) letter pressed were shifted. (As the n900 does it)

Back