Hello

Murph

Still Fresh
Hey

A guy I was talking to in a chat room turned me onto the pandora project, being a huge gadget fan (I went ps3 over 360 because of it's gadget factor, linux compatability, upgradeable hard-drive, usb gadgets largely being plug and play.)

I would LOVE a pandora for on-the-go computing. Being a total internet addict, (If I don't get online once a day I go crazy.) A netbook that fits in my back pocket with better resolution than a DS and the horsepower to run some of my favorite classic FPS games (If it runs Quake 3 as well as I've seen it may well run the original Call of Duty and United Offensive well enough.)

Another thing I like would be the open source aspect. I've been really interested in homebrew games in the past, and not many systems are readily accepting of this (which is unfortunate truly as some of the coolest games have started as freeware.) I have a potential game idea, but I'm still hammering out how it would play out (My mind screams final fantasy tactics clone but before developing I want it rooted well enough in the strategy board games to make finally building the game broken down to coding scripts for gameplay balance, and developing maps. The stat calculations are still being figured out.) I also would need to find an open source graphics engine that would work and learn how coding it would work (I have a how to learn C++ book and enough drive that it couldn't hurt. I could always port it to other platforms if it plays well enough.)

Murph said:
(If it runs Quake 3 as well as I've seen it may well run the original Call of Duty and United Offensive well enough.)
Are CoD and UO open-source?
Since the Pandora is non-x86, you will need the source code to port anything.

Murph said:
I also would need to find an open source graphics engine that would work and learn how coding it would work (I have a how to learn C++ book and enough drive that it couldn't hurt. I could always port it to other platforms if it plays well enough.)
I recommend the Irrlicht engine. It's cross-platform, there's likely to be a Pandora port, and it opens all kinds of 3d file formats.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
ahem... is the source open?.. if not ur SOL

The pandora has an ARM cpu (~90% of stuff for Linux works forget windows only stuff for the most part)

The pandora has an SGX GPU more flexible than the PSP's GPU it uses the embedded subset of Open GL 1 and 2 and is not compatible with full opengl as far as we know (there are efforts to make it so...)

read the wiki thoroughly and inform yourself and welcome to the forums!

I would also recomand the Irrlicht engine + Code::Blocks IDE, I think they have a very nice setup template for it.

There is a pocket Call of Duty game and many other franchises, they may work in Windows CE on the Pandora.

I just checked out that engine you guys recommended, that one's a bit more powerful than what I was looking for. It also seems to be designed more for first person shooters and action games than the turn-based chessboard-leveled (if you're not familiar with FFT, think closer to roller coaster tycoon) game engine I want. It may be something to look into if I get any real level of skill as a coder, but right now I'm a total hack, so the simpler the better.

Back