Help Buying First Motorbike..

lizard808uk

Child of the 80s
Website
Visit site
Hi everyone, thought I might try a question on here - since all the motorbike forums out there seem to be drowned out by fanboys etc.. this place might be balanced. I have a limited budget but can get only 250cc here in NZ. Anyone have suggestions? I thought maybe a Kawasaki Sherpa or Honda XR250L / Tornado. Anyone ridden a Hyosung? What are they like? I hope the build quality is not as shoddy as the GP32! :p

lizard808uk said:
Hi everyone, thought I might try a question on here - since all the motorbike forums out there seem to be drowned out by fanboys etc.. this place might be balanced. I have a limited budget but can get only 250cc here in NZ. Anyone have suggestions? I thought maybe a Kawasaki Sherpa or Honda XR250L / Tornado. Anyone ridden a Hyosung? What are they like? I hope the build quality is not as shoddy as the GP32! :p
The insurance industry guestimates an unbelievably high percentage of motorcycle accidents happen within the first 90 days, almost guaranteed to wreck within 6 months so the first one doesn't really matter, buy something cheap you don't mind slamming onto the pavement a couple times, then buy the bike you want. The first helmet purchase is the important one, remember always the first rule of helmet acquisition, if you have a ten dollar head buy a ten dollar helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference in price between a 10 year old bike and a new one isnt that great here in NZ (in the 250cc class). Good tips though - I'm not going to get a sportier bike (like the Hyosung) - as you're quite right, the chances of me stacking it are quite high. Maybe after a year I'll be ready for the big bikes, but at this stage, the Kawasaki is speaking volumes to me. (Can go trail riding and good seat position for commuting etc).

I'd go with a Honda - the XR would be a great choice for a beginner I think. Good handling and build, and goddamn bullet-proof* reliability. I always wanted a Rebel as a first bike, but I couldn't afford it at the time :(

* not literally bullet-proof, I will not be held responsible if it fails to perform as a shield against actual bullets.

I've always wanted a classic 60s vespa. Some lovely ones to drawl over in the Spitalfields showroom or on their website:

www.scooteremporium.com

I'd like to think I might survive with one of these, whereas with a modern large bike and I suspect my enthusiasm would lead to the need to order a wooden box shortly after the purchase of the bike.

lizard808uk said:
I ended up with a Honda - a VTR250. I think it was the V-Twin power that did it for me!
Nice little bike :)

I had a VF700 a few years back.

Got a 2007 TDM900 these days. It amazes me that people want things faster than this.

0-100 MPH in 7 seconds is fast enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol - I've seen one of those 1400 Hayabusas recently - they're just plain nuts! I just Googled TDM900 - it looks like a nice bike. Is it more stand uppy or crouch-over-the-fueltank?

Eventually I hope to progress to the R6 - I rode one once and fell in instant love.. :p

It's an upright bike. So it's comfy. No cramped knees and thighs. No pained wrists in heavy traffic.

The TDM is great fun. Easily the best bike I've ever owned. It does everything well. Although it's a big beastie it handles like a dream. It's so deceptive. Oh and it sounds fantastic. A lovely deep throb from the upright twin. 70 MPH is only 4k revs in top gear :)

It was also cheap (relatively speaking, I'm still skint :)) I paid £5.5k brand new

Nice review of it here.

First time out on the bike and it kept stalling!! Turns out there was hardly any fuel in the tank :rolleyes: Not good when you're at traffic lights and everyone is beeping at you!

Got reserve? You'll get the knack for switching over mid stall, stick with it. Any pix yet? Get leather. Avoid the center of the lane where cars leak oil at intersections. Kneel before it and check for loose and worn parts every Sunday like a religion to avoid mechanical failure. My cafe racer set;
74hd74.jpg

Heres some pics - mine is the Honda, the other is my mate's Kawasaki GPX 250. (Which feels like you're sailing down the highway in a canoe.. e.g. when you turn the fairing doesnt [??])

P1000814Medium.JPG

Back