GP2X Help Can't Recompile Vicegp2x Using Devkitgp2x

vic20-ian

Website
Visit site
Hi,

I downloaded the Vice source and have DevkitGP2x installed and able to compile the demo.

When I try and make the Vice-alpha1 source I get problems - lots of them

I managed to get round a few problems by copying or renaming arm-linux-gcc.exe to gcc.exe and arm-linux ar.exe to ar.exe.

But now I am stumped - I get the following error /bin/sh : /usr/bin/gmsgfmt no such file or directory.

I can't find anything like gmsgfmt.exe

Please can someone let me know the steps I need to take to download a source and make it with devkitgp2x.

Then I can get on with the tinkering with the code and maybe contribute something.

Can you build if you run make in the src/ directory, rather than starting in the level above? That might work without needing it.

gmsgfmt, if it is necessary, is part of gettext.

Almost, after renaming arm-linux g++.exe to g++.exe I can get further with make but no gpe program output yet :-(

Following error message now - is something missing from the source files?

error.JPG

Ok I have downloaded the zlib123.zip and unzipped to another directory.

BBTroll - Do I just need the zlib.h in the zip somewhere in my vice src directory or do I have to somehow compile and create a new library?

Thanks for your help.

You have to build zlib and install it's header and bianary files on the Devkitgp2x path.

zlib.h and zconf.h go into sysroot\usr\include

and libz.a into sysroot\usr\lib

You have to build zlib and install it's header and bianary files on the Devkitgp2x path.

zlib.h and zconf.h go into sysroot\usr\include

and libz.a into sysroot\usr\lib

Thanks - do you know how this works on windows xp running Devkitgp2x? I don't have sysroot\usr\lib

I tried just copying the zlib.h and got a bit further (but suspected this was the wrong thing to do after your comment about building) I'll go back to trying to build an installable library.

I now get errors relating to png.h so suspect I need to do the same with libpng - am I right?

On libpng.org I am having problems selecting which files I need (too many choices). Do I need i386 binaries or something else? I downloaded a gnuwin32.exe version which runs an install offering to install libraries in c:\program files\gnuwin32 if I point this to c:\devkitgp2x would this work?

EDIT the gnuwin32 libpng library works and now all I am left with is syntax errors from the incorrect zlib.h usage above. I'll keep plugging away

Edit found a gnuwin32 zlib installer and have done that but am still having problems with zlib.h - now this is installed do I have to edit paths or copy the zlib.h and zconf.h go into sysroot\usr\include and libz.a into sysroot\usr\lib - What are the equivalent locations for devkitgp2x in windows xp? Seems to have installed a zlib.dll in c:\devkitgp2x\bin - guess this is no good for this compiler?

Installed the sources as well - same error remains with zlib.h

I give up for now. Please help if you can. Thanks.

Vic20-Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to build zlib and libpng from the source, since the installers are for x86 systems, not arm.

The paths can change, that is why I gave you the relative paths.

the default paths are:
c:\devkitGP2X\sysroot\usr\lib
and
c:\devkitGP2X\sysroot\usr\include

libpng should follow the same paths. png.h and pngconf.h

note that libpng needs zlib to build.

SUCCESS ! Mostly

I managed to get the libraries Zlib and libpng to compile by copying arm-linuxGCC.exe to cc.exe

(I need a short tutorial on config and make files for devkitgp2x please someone)

I installed the files as BB troll said and make runs spewing a lot of messages and eventually leaves me xvic, x64 etc in the directory.

Tested on the GP2x and X64 runs (I didn't modify that one)

Xvic runs without screen display (I must have killed something)

BBTroll - many thanks - now I can play with some source and maybe help with Vice or something else.

BBTroll - Thanks again for your help, I got XVic compiled and working and have fixed the keyboard bugs and sent the source to Snaff.

Perils of Willy on the Vic20 now playable - oh yes.

Back