Read thread first. What should I do?

• Use what you have!

• Get a new smartphone.

• Get a new music player.

• Get a new tablet.

• Wait for the Pyra and suck it up.

• Other suggestion in my post.

Results are only viewable after voting.

I bought the cheapest possible MP3 player for exactly the same thing: Playing audio (here sometimes audiobooks) when working in garden, making electronics (making it from ready assembly schematic on an universal PCB doesn't require you to think too much), housekeeping etc.
Generally, one of these cheapest Chinese things without even a display, this one with a clip mounting and microSD slot. I charge it when I put MP3s to an old 1GB card and it lasts for a few hours.

I also have a Samsung E2370 I use as my primary cell phone. This is a dumb phone with VGA camera and MP3 player. Unfortunately, while playing MP3s it eats its battery really fast - instead of 2-3 weeks without charging I have to charge it every 1-2 days. And although quite rugged (can be safely thrown, fell to floor several times, can be used in larger rain) I avoid using it as a player only because its headphone/charging socket is a joke, the more it's open and closed the less waterproof the phone is.

First, I believe Lineage OS supports the Photon Q and will bring the OS up to date.

As far as a phone I have the LG F3Q. Upsides: I can go 03 days without charging it with actual usage (browsing, torrents, calls, messaging...I mean full usage). Also has an ir blaster, removable battery, keyboard, and microsd slot. Downsides: It is limited to android 4.xx, it has low ram, and has low onboard storage. I got around the storage piece by linking to an ext3 partion on the microsd card and transfering system apps and installed apps.
I think you are right. It would help me play the game (I think), music, and despite the fucked keyboards I can still use the call and text functions. There was some reason why I didn't do it before, and I can't remember why atm.

Sansa clip+ with rockbox. All deeeei.
This is kinda what I was initially leaning toward. I have had good luck doing things like this in the past. I will check prices.

If it's only for music, I'd suggest use the Pandora.
That is the main usage of my Pandora since years.
It has plenty of storage and a long battery life.

Getting a resonable tablet under 100$ is not an option in my opinion.
Especially as a tablet is a lot less portable than the Pandora.

If you want something smaller, then get a music player.
Or maybe one of those Raspberry Pi Zero devices with a small screen that come up these days.

Before you buy anything, wait for the next Pyra news thread. Then you might know more. Maybe it's already time for the prototype run and your Pyra might come soon.
Then I would suggest waiting.

For gaming, get a Nintendo Switch. Great console, great games.

On the topic of the Switch, I heard that it's recently been hacked, and on a hardware level (potentially really bad news for Nintendo), which could potentially could mean some interesting homebrew/Linux installs could be on the cards...

I know Apple is Evil, but I found the IPod Nano 6 whit it’s Clip pretty cool, no need for a extra case, you could clip it everywhere, it plays music and worked also as a watch..
There should be enough not Apple Software to put music on it..
348fe0cf29c8ff329008c41654c9debd.jpg

I found it pretty divicult these days to find a good MP3 Player , so I went to an IPhone 6 s I still have..

The Pandora works also great as MP3 Player, but for me it’s too heavy for running..
and on my Device, the Display Backlight Controll is broken:
It’s works but I can’t dim it and in Standby it’s still fires
Only in “Shutdown” Mode, the Pandora is completely off ..

About Jelly, I was going to get one but the battery life and some other little points avoid me from that... But now, the team has announced that they are going to launch "something" very soon:

https://www.unihertz.com/bbs/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=51258&extra=page=1

I followed through to the Facebook account (eurgh) and found a link to an upcoming Kickstarter campaign for the world's smallest rugged 4G smartphone:-
https://www.ogadget.com/x/atom

I've signed up for more info, 'cos it sounds quite impressive :)

The Switch is a whole different story and thread. I have been considering it since before it was launched, and there are games on it I want to play. I want to finish the first Xenoblade game before getting it...so I already had plans to get it eventually. Then I saw the recent news, which made it way more appealing. Although technically a gaming tablet it wasn't what I had in mind for this thread. Plus, how much time will I waste trying to play Timelines on it? Right now I just play that on someone else's smartphone. We'll see what I do with the switch when it is time (if I don't wait too long or whatever).
My temporary solution for the music is just to charge the iPod immediately before I use it. If I were to change the battery I would want to also remove the hdd and use something that is less likely to die and waste battery life. No clue if it would survive the surgery.
I think I have a couple of the little clippy iPod nanos floating around. I don't like touchscreen only interfaces because what happens when the screen dies? One has a dead screen. Mostly useless. I guess I might as well use the other until it dies.
A used Sansa Clip+ seems to be more expensive than new models, however new ones can't have rockbox installed. Not experienced enough with them to know if I would really need to replace the firmware for my use. Still leaning toward one as a long-term music device option. I need to do some more comparing to see about microSD compatibility.
I still have my fingers crossed for basic phone functionality with the Pyra, as I don't need a dedicated device for that. Still, I look at cheap android devices because they cover a lot of what I am looking for...just no keyboards, except on older ones, and I seem too rough on those.
I have a couple other options mentioned here I need to look into. I really appreciate the serious suggestions.

I only mentioned it because some iPods are able to run the rockbox firmware which not only has a better music eq, supports more music file types, and has a better battery life when running.

I'd say grab a PSP 1000/2000, on top of being a good video/music player you can hack it easily and play emulators + PS1 games and plus they go for really cheap these days.

I'd say grab a PSP 1000/2000, on top of being a good video/music player you can hack it easily and play emulators + PS1 games and plus they go for really cheap these days.
Good music player. For video you probably need to convert everything HD to a lower format.
A psp is cool but having a Pandora already I'm not sure it is so interesting to get one.

I only mentioned it because some iPods are able to run the rockbox firmware which not only has a better music eq, supports more music file types, and has a better battery life when running.
Yeah, I used it for my old nano I found, back many years ago. Then they did that trade in and I got the touchscreen only one. I knew it was probably stupid to do at the time. I miss that thing, and Doom. I will check compatibility, maybe my battery isn't toast yet. I used it yesterday for an hour, so I should see how much that took out of it.

Good music player. For video you probably need to convert everything HD to a lower format.
A psp is cool but having a Pandora already I'm not sure it is so interesting to get one.
Yeah if you have a Pandora already then maybe you don't need it. But they still got very cheap. I got another one a few years ago for $25 AUD.

Looks like I might be going with the second least popular option, and getting a new smartphone. I am looking at the Amazon version of the Moto G5 Plus. It is more than I wanted to spend, but I can play the Android games I love, plus texts and such which I sometimes feel I am missing out on, and those I actually am missing out on. I am thinking it should last me long enough that we can get the Pyra phone functions working.

Big fail: no keyboard.

If anyone has better suggestions, let me know. This isn't something set in stone, but I am strongly leaning toward getting it. It should give me a portable music/gaming/communication device that should still be viable in a couple years, and my other devices can be used for reading and retro gaming.

What do you have, mp3? ogg? lossless compressed?

If mp3 only: get a cheap dumbphone with sd card where you can put your audio into.
Like discontinued (thus discounted) nokia 6500 or nokia C2. These things last, can absorb a fall, have harder-than-glass plastic for a display. And usually under 100 euro. Audio quality is also ok.

The current mp3 players are either niche and expensive, discontinued (Archos/Terratec -- my favourite brands) or very cheap if you go with unknown brands...

Ruizu X02 (APE, FLAC,WMA,MP3,WAV) - not that good interface but cheap
mahdi (Audio Format Support: APE, FLAC, WMA, MP3, WAV ) - metal casing, interface is ok.
Yescool S3 (supports all the above and alac) -- great wheel control but be careful in your pocket while running

or this weirdness called HBNKH Nintaus (no idea)
https://cloud.video.taobao.com/play/u/3188863153/p/1/e/6/t/10301/58477304.mp4

Back