Help: My External Hdd Has Died

norm

aka kapakux89
Website
kapakux89.com
last week i dropped my hd and at the time thought nothing of it as it was only a small fall. but i discovered yesterday that it wasnt working :(

is there anyway to fix it?

its one of these

when i plug it in i can here it spinning and it sound perfectly healthy but no mountingness :(
im using ubuntu linux, iv tried going in to gparted to reformat it but it will not show up

any help would be greatly appreciated as im currently to poor to fork out for a new one

thanks

Does it rattle when you shake it (gently, mind!)

Does it show up in the bios of you computer (possibly under boot devices/order) ?, Assuming you have a reasonably recent machine.

Is it still under warranty ?, If it is, It might be worth taking it back for a replacement.

If it`s not still under warranty, You could have a go at undoing the case and seeing if the data cable has become disconnected, As you say you can hear it spinning and sounds as though it could still be working ok.

Btw, The link in your post doesn`t seem to be working.

Trooper

I hope you had your stuff mirrored :blink: - best bet is to take it apart and check connections. If not that, then your platters might be screwed. (They're very sensitive). Do as Trooper suggests and get a new one under warranty.

Nova said:
nope not at all

trooper said:
Does it show up in the bios of you computer (possibly under boot devices/order) ?, Assuming you have a reasonably recent machine.
no its not showing up in my eee pc's bios :(

trooper said:
Is it still under warranty ?, If it is, It might be worth taking it back for a replacement.
oh yer that thought hadn't even crossed my mind
i think i got it around xmas time from amazon.co.uk so try and get a replacement

lizard808uk said:
I hope you had your stuff mirrored :blink:
most of its still on my mac's hd, iv only lost some minor files

thanks for the replys all, if i cant get it replaced il be back for more advice :p

ps: link is fixed, not that it matters so much anymore :D

Last edited by a moderator:
norm said:
Nova said:
nope not at all

That's good, that'll mean there will be no sign of user-caused damage when you send it back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back