Help With Arch Linux

GizmoTheGreen

Ok here the thing, im not really a dev, i know c/c++ but i got no experience.

I've gotten a basic filesystem from www.archmobile.org on an sdcard, and i can run it with the boot.txt thats floating around!
Pandora kernel + arch linux filesystem.

Now my problem, no internet whatsoever.
Pandora wifi not working, for reasons i dont know, and my Rt73 USB dongle wont work either (support is supposed to be built into the linux kernel since 2.6.2ish i think)

So, halp guys! :p what do?

We need some cool alternative OS's!
If i could get a basic tut to combine the pandora patches + arch-arm patches and compile a new kernel, and modifying the boot.txt to load that from th sd too, that would be awesome.

But for now just fixing the net would be enough.

grasshoppir said:
try another connection manager. netcfg and wicd work in somewhat different ways

edit: i dont do quotes

I only got the standard shell so im using ifconfig -a and iwconfig to manage the network.
And lsusb and dmesg to see if the kernel actually found the device.

So its found alright, but no "drivers" for either my usb stick or the internal

Last edited by a moderator:
GizmoTheGreen said:
grasshoppir said:

I only got the standard shell so im using ifconfig -a and iwconfig to manage the network.

see if the drivers are on the AUR and compile them for ARM?

IsSuE said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
grasshoppir said:

that would be a viable option, if not for the fact that the filesystem is newer than the archlinux kernel if memory serves me right, so even if i got the source on a usb or sdcard and tried to compile it, it would fail, haha.

so i need a new kernel first, i think

GizmoTheGreen said:
IsSuE said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
grasshoppir said:

that would be a viable option, if not for the fact that the filesystem is newer than the archlinux kernel if memory serves me right, so even if i got the source on a usb or sdcard and tried to compile it, it would fail, haha.

whats the module called?
and why would it fail to compile?
you are compiling it against the current kernel on the pandora, not the one in the arch repos

IsSuE said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
IsSuE said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
grasshoppir said:

whats the module called?
and why would it fail to compile?
you are compiling it against the current kernel on the pandora, not the one in the arch repos

when compiling the compiler links with the kernel-headers and such thats in the filesystem, no?
so kernel would fail to load it later.

rt73 is the module for my wifi stick, works out of the box on normal arch, and archppc (only base and maybe base-devel from pacman)

another option would be for the pandora guys to explain why the built in isnt being found/loaded, since im using the right kernel.

GizmoTheGreen said:
another option would be for the pandora guys to explain why the built in isnt being found/loaded, since im using the right kernel.
Maybe because you only copied the kernel image but the wifi module is a module and wasn't copied...
Or maybe because you don't have the correct initramfs for the kernel ←→ FS ←→ module combination...

dflemstr said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
Maybe because you only copied the kernel image but the wifi module is a module and wasn't copied...
Or maybe because you don't have the correct initramfs for the kernel ←→ FS ←→ module combination...

Yeah, sounds like something like that, so, Im looking for the best/easiest action to take.
I did try to copy over some stuff from the internal nand to the sd, that seemed to do with wifi and such, didnt help any :/

kernel is loaded from the nand, but sd is mounted as root, all i know.
the boot.txt is the one floating around in other threads

GizmoTheGreen said:
Yeah, sounds like something like that, so, Im looking for the best/easiest action to take.
I did try to copy over some stuff from the internal nand to the sd, that seemed to do with wifi and such, didnt help any :/
maybe copy the rt73.ko (or whatever) file, should be in a subdirectory of /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/, from the nand to that directory on your SD?
If the internal Wi-Fi driver is compiled as a module, it should be in there somewhere too, but I don't know what it would be called.

It could be that you have to put these files into the initramfs too, but I don't know if that would do it or if there are any other modifications needed there.

Tom` said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
maybe copy the rt73.ko (or whatever) file, should be in a subdirectory of /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/, from the nand to that directory on your SD?
If the internal Wi-Fi driver is compiled as a module, it should be in there somewhere too, but I don't know what it would be called.

It could be that you have to put these files into the initramfs too, but I don't know if that would do it or if there are any other modifications needed there.

I have copied the whole folder to the SD... doesnt seem to help any.
And i see no rt73.ko either :/

/lib/modules/`uname -r

GizmoTheGreen said:
Tom` said:
GizmoTheGreen said:

I have copied the whole folder to the SD... doesnt seem to help any.
And i see no rt73.ko either :/

/lib/modules/`uname -r
OK, you have to rebuild your initramfs then. Do a:
Code:
mkinitcpio -g /boot/my_kernel.img

You might have to also edit your "/etc/rc.conf" to include the WiFi module, but I don't know what it's called so can't help you there.

thx dflemstr, im not sure i fully understand that. but i found a "workaround"

I loaded the module manually with

modprobe -l to see the modules, then
insmod "full path" to the wifi module, kinda works, but i still cant ifconfig wlan0 up, it ends with an error.

however, i insmod the g_ether module!
driver for win7 (vista, but works for win7) 64bit is here http://bug.cmw.me/?q=node/11

sshing in from my desktop now, also routing the internet through the usb. :)

edit: currently trying to load gpu modules and getting x to work... hmm, i need some xorg.conf settings...

edit: all modules from gpu module folder loaded, and using xorg file from pandoras nand, but no luck, x says it cant find the "omapfb" module... (there is a module called omaplfb which i loaded)

You need multiple modules for WiFi.
There's the file /etc/init.d/wl1251-init on the original filesystem of the Pandora which loads up the driver.
You can put that file into /etc/rc.d/ of your Arch, include wl1251-init into the startup daemons of rc.conf or load it later manually (by typing /etc/rc.d/wl1251-init start

You need to have all needed modules, the firmware and the Pandora kernel as well.

When you manually start the driver, you can also see what's wrong (in case it doesn't work).

I'm also an Arch fan, so I will try to get it running once I find the time (but I've got looooooooooots of work to do... :/ )

EvilDragon said:
I'm also an Arch fan, so I will try to get it running once I find the time (but I've got looooooooooots of work to do... :/ )

I love you ED!

cowai said:
EvilDragon said:

I love you ED!

I was first? :p but well, i digg him, not love, haha

EvilDragon said:
You need multiple modules for WiFi.
There's the file /etc/init.d/wl1251-init on the original filesystem of the Pandora which loads up the driver.
You can put that file into /etc/rc.d/ of your Arch, include wl1251-init into the startup daemons of rc.conf or load it later manually (by typing /etc/rc.d/wl1251-init start

You need to have all needed modules, the firmware and the Pandora kernel as well.

When you manually start the driver, you can also see what's wrong (in case it doesn't work).

Awesome! Gotta try it out once I get my device.

But what about simply adding the module to MODULES in /etc/rc.conf? That'd shorten down the boot time immensely. Is it because you need a way to "unload" the drivers at runtime? Because there's "rmmod" for that...

hmm, well, i find that insmod "modulename" isnt working, you have to supply the full path, haha xD
so the same would be for the rc.conf? super long paths for the modules....

GizmoTheGreen said:
hmm, well, i find that insmod "modulename" isnt working, you have to supply the full path, haha xD
No; in rc.conf, you just specify the name. You can load modules by name with "modprobe modulename" if they are in the standard locations by the way.

dflemstr said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
No; in rc.conf, you just specify the name. You can load modules by name with "modprobe modulename" if they are in the standard locations by the way.

ahaaa... better try that later... :p

Back