GP2X Help With Optimization

madelman

Still Fresh
Hi people,

i'm the author of the NeoPop port to GP2X. If you don't know it it's an emulator for NeoGeo Pocket.

I've been trying to optimize it, but have been unsuccesful so far, so I'm coming here to see if anyone wants to help.

If someone would like to work with me to make this emulator faster please send a private message or answer this and i'll get in contact with you.

Thanks a lot.

The easiest way would be to replace the CPU core, which are you currently using?

I'm using the core which was included in NeoPop. I think it was programmed from scratch for this emulator. I've been looking for other cores but it seems that NeoPop is the only NeoGeo Pocket emulator which you can get the source for.

Ah, the processor used by NGPC is a TLCS-900h, a quite strange processor which, as far as I know, has only been used in this console, so no other emulator implements it.

I may be wrong but the only way to replace the core seems to be writting it all from scratch again, which i don't feel like doing now :)

Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
The first step in optimizing is finding out which areas need optimization.
If I were you I'd write some profiling code and profile the various aspects of the emulator.

Could you give us some more info?
Is it an SDL port?
What is the spec of the Neo-Geo?

Cheers,
Mark.

Back