Help With Reading The External Storage

abertalia

Website
Visit site
Hi there, I recently purchased a breakout board which seems to work because of the "on" light comeing on but I stuck a 2GB USB Flash Drive, turned my 2X on while it hooked up to the board, selected External Storage, and nothing showed up in that category...What do I have to do to help it recognize the drive there? Any help would be very appreciated. :)

Hi there, I recently purchased a breakout board which seems to work because of the "on" light comeing on but I stuck a 2GB USB Flash Drive, turned my 2X on while it hooked up to the board, selected External Storage, and nothing showed up in that category...What do I have to do to help it recognize the drive there? Any help would be very appreciated. :)

According to the poster here at http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=34551 it is very simple, just check the post out :)

Last edited by a moderator:

According to the poster here at http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=34551 it is very simple, just check the post out :)

Thanks for that.

[EDIT]: Ok I tried that now but it just dosent work...it still wont read the flash drive I have in the BoB...

Shifty posted on Feb 1 2007 at 04:50 AM said:
:ph34r: Well...uhhh how do I reformat it to the right one? :unsure:

The wiki is your friend :D

The page at http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/SD_card_compatibility but specifically the following from the page:

"It seems that the card may need to have been written to (by a card reader, for example) before the GP2X will recognise it properly. Also the gp2x currently only likes SD-Cards which have been formatted by a SD-Card Reader. Card-Readers present the Cards as a removable device to Windows. The gp2x itself presents them as a harddisk. And gp2x doesn't like harddisk partition tables. So format your card with an SD-Cardreader and chances that your card will be correctly detected by the gp2x will really increase tremendously.

It seems too that some cards require some work, either in Linux or Windows, to work. I have an example of a Dane-elec 1GB that took at least 30 attemps in Windows and Linux (using cfdisk, fdisk, makefs.msdos), FAT32 and FAT16, card-reader or not, to be recognized. Weird thing is nothing fancy was done on the successfull try... so keep trying!"

Hope it helps.

If it helps I can show you where I got mine from on ebay which worked fine first time but you should be able to do it if you can format it in a card reader.

Dave

Thanks for that. I might bookmark that page, it seems very useful...But I'm not sure you understood my question. I wanted to know how to get the 2X to read a USB FlashDrive that connects to the Breakout Board.

have you formatted it in windows first to something compatible such as fat32?

seems some usb flashdrives are incompatible with thr 2x until formatted in windows, even thought windows can read/write them without formatting..

Ok, I think it came formatted to fat32. Can somebody tell me if they have gotten a usb to hook as external storage using the b.o.b? If so, please tell me.

Yup, know this was several days ago, but I might still have the answer. If you are running Gmenu2x on autorun, usb host is broken, for some reason. That had me mystified for ages. Also I think you need to start with it plugged in... I've connected a HD, Mp3 usb player and card reader into the Gp2x and had them work.

Back