Help With Scumm

bast525

Just a couple questions...

1. does anyone know if there is some way to adjust the clockspeed that scummvm gp32 runs at? I know there are two versions included in the Zip, one of them runs at 132mhz, no idea about the other one but I'm assuming 166mhz. I tried running the non-specified one, and it tends to lock up every 10-15 mins, so I'm assuming it's running too fast for my GP (which seems to run other apps fine at between 156-164mhz). So I switched to the 132mhz version... dont seem to get lockups anymore, but man the sound on teh 132mhz version is HORRIBLE, very staticy and crackly. Anyways, I know someone had mentioned hex editing to fix a problem with scumm, the saving in monkey island one (which worked great), I was wondering if maybe you could hex edit the speed?

2. Does anyone have a list of games that work SPECIFICALLY with scumm ON THE GP32? I have found several lists for scumm on PC, but none of gp32.

3. more specifically, has anyone gotten Loom working? I have loom on floppy, it works fine on my PC, but wont run on GPscumm.

Has anyone gotten Sam and Max workign with sound? I have Sam and Max on CD... no floppy... the sound file for this thing is HUUGE, 171MB, so can't put that on my SMC obviously. Does anyone have the floppy version working with midi sound? Since I already own the game would it be wrong to ask someone to send me whatever files I'd need from the floppy version to get it working?

1. The other version actually runs at 133mhz, but it was causing some peoples GP32s to crash, but at 132mhz it didn't. (This doesn't mean your GP can't manage 133mhz, it just doesn't work with this program). The sound is admittedly very crackly, but this is a common problem with GP32 programs, it has been fixed in most stuff, but unfortunately not in ScummGP. I suppose you could hex edit the clockspeed, but I don't think it will help.

2. Pretty much all scumm games published by lucasarts will play, obviously aside from things like Curse of Monkey Island and newer ones like that. Scumm games from other publishers like Beneath a steel sky don't work yet.

3. I haven't tried, but I think there was a thread here a few days ago in which someone said it works fine, I think it was the CD version though.

And in Sam and Max, if you mean the speech, you can only fit it if you convert it into OGG, but even then it is not supported very well, and will slow it down a lot.

Thanks for the replies mr twit... I have some replies to your replies :)

1. odd that 1mhz makes all that difference. The reason I want to hex edit the regular (I guess 133mhz version) to lower the speed, is because the sound on the 133mhz version is MUCH better than the 132mhz version. They both have some crackling but the 132 does it like ALL the time, really bad, the 133 is just a tiny bit, almost unnoticeable. Any idea what I might look for with the hex editor to change the speed?

2. man than I must have bad luck :)

3. I'll look for that thread. I remember Loom from when I was a kid, I either had it on Sega CD or PC Engine CD... man I really loved that game.

4. Actually I don't really care about the speech in sam and max, I'm more concerned about the music. Or sound effects... ANY of it. I get NO sound at ALL when I run it. Unless the midi sound doesn't start up until later in the game?? I know monkey island 2 did this... I thougth that was also having no sound, the first couple minutes of the game is silent. Then the music started up. But I played like 15 mins into sam and max and not a peep.

EDIT: all that being said, I'm searching thru the post archives right now. Apparently people ARE playing Loom on their GP's... wonder why mine wont work? Works fine in Dosshell on my PC. On the GP, it just goes black and does nothing. Haven't found anything yet about any trick to getting it working or which version everyone is using. :( :(

EDIT AGAIN: Okay apparently I am missing a file for this to work in Scumm... disk01.lec. Odd as I don't have this file (dont' even know what it is) yet the game runs fine on my PC.... am I breaking any rules by asking someone to send me just this file?

Yeah same here.

Well... good news though.

First off, I FINALLY found the .5 Alpha build of GP Scumm by DJ Willis.

Now, I thought this was just the same thing as v.3 but with OGG support... apparently not. Right off the bat, I put Loom in there and it worked with sound. (EDIT: I also forgot to mention, I found a disk01.lec file in one of my monkey island games... I copied that into the Loom directory, though I have a feeling I do not need it.)Also, his .rar comes with a HTML page listing exactly what files are needed to run which games. With that, I also I found out part of why Sam and Max wasn't working right. The files in the CD talkie version are named slightly differently (different extensions) than the Floppy version. So, renamed some files, and stuck that in the 'new' scumm... and now it plays with music and speech as well!

So now I have working Loom and Sam and Max with full sound/speech/music... I'm a very happy camper right now :D

Oddly though, the 'new' scumm does lose points in one place... the one place it was originally almost perfect.... when I went back to play DOTT... it still works fine, but in v.5 the cursor moves VERY slow... ANNOYING. But ONLY in DOTT. So I guess I'll leave the old scumm on there for DOTT, and use the new Scumm for everything else.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys.

Oh, but still the one question... anyone know how I can hex edit and change the overclock speed of the app?

I've already hex edited DJWillis' ScummVM for higher clockspeeds, you can find it here. Also, Phox's release of Scummvm were 132Mhz and 166Mhz I believe not 132 and 133 as mentioned above, but maybe I'll have to hack it apart to make sure later ;)

sweet thanks hooka.

I am betting it does run 166mhz.. if only because it locks up exactly the same way as it does when I run DrMD or GPengine at 166... though they both run fine at 164mhz and 156mhz respectively.

So then, is it the speed difference that causes the 132mhz version to have such crackly sound? Or are they coded at all different? I originally was thinking maybe the 132mhz one was a bit older and THAT's why the sound was so much worse... but they do come zipped in the same zip, so now that I think about it it makes more sense that they are the same 'age' and the 132 just sounds worse because it's running slow.

Anyways... many thanks for the link hooka, so you've already done what I was trying to do anyways... sweet. Hopefully this means I can have my cake and eat it too i.e.: near perfect sound with no more lockups. Can't wait to get home and try this out.

EDIT: the link for the 150 & 156 version is down :( anywhere else I could get this or could you possibly email me? Just in case the 160/166 still locks up on me.

Also, does anyone know a way to turn speech off but retain the midi music? speech does seem to slow sam and max down a lot....

EDIT:

well I'm a bonehead... should have played more with things before posting again.

I figured out how to turn off speach, and/or turn off the music... neither helped much, and Sam and max also has a VERY slow moving cursor in the DJ Willis port... even with the 166mhz one I got from Hooka's site. I hadn't noticed it as I never went past the great intro until last night. So it's either play with no music, or have it basically be unplayable due to a VERY slow moving cursor. Even with all sound off, for some reason the cursor is way slower in the DJ Willis port than in the original port. I'm a stickler for music in my games so... *shrug* oh well, monkey island, loom and DOTT will keep me busy a good while I'm sure.

Hopefully though someone here could still tell me how to change the overclock speed? Since all these games except Loom run fine on the original non DJ Willis version, w/o the slow cursor and with full sound... I'd still like to be able to slow it down a bit to get rid of the lockup problem but not have the crappy music of the 132mhz version.

Someone PLEASE tell me how to do this?

to turn off the speech just delete the monster.sou .sog or .mp3 most likely the biggest file you have. and about loom... i allready told you to use .5 version 3 days ago on irc!

ps: the curser on djwillis' version is the original speed while in .3 there is a dirty hack to speed it up by 2
pps: there is a tutorial for hexediting the speed at gp32world.co.uk

this is getting really confusing,what with different versions and what works and what doesn't.wouldn't it be possible to release one final version with some options to change clock speed?

Vimacs posted on Dec 22 2004 at 05:01 PM said:
to turn off the speech just delete the monster.sou .sog or .mp3 most likely the biggest file you have. and about loom... i allready told you to use .5 version 3 days ago on irc!

ps: the curser on djwillis' version is the original speed while in .3 there is a dirty hack to speed it up by 2
pps: there is a tutorial for hexediting the speed at gp32world.co.uk

Turning off speech OR music, in Sam and Max, doesn't seem to help things much... but now that you mentioned about the cursor speed, that explains why. I know you told me to use the .5 version but I could not FIND it until day before yesterday!

Also, can you please post a link for the tutorial at gp32world? So help me I have spent like an hour searching over there for this and was not able to find a thing about it. OR... could you at least give me a hint as to where I might find out how to hack the cursor speed to be faster on .5??

If I could get the cursor working 2x speed on .5 then it would be the closest to 'perfect' Scumm emulator that I've come accross...

Last edited by a moderator:
overclocked version of the new (dj willis) version. Doesn't do much as the overclocking doesnt' help the cursor speed which is VERY slow... really this one, for me, is only useful for playing Loom. Monkey island 1 & 2 seem fine on it, but no better than on the 'original version'.

*BUMP*

I'm not giving up on this. I have searched and searched over gp32world.co.uk and not been able to find the walkthru for hacking the clockspeed on Scumm...

surely someone here can either give a link or tell me how to do this??

Back