Hey Im New

well actually i dont need a notebook ( already got a dell xps m1330), i dont need a bus as i live close also this ema saves me from getting a job, as it is income to spend on things i want/need. no job means less pressure on sutdies. by spending my ema on a pandora it is just one step closer to me becoming an sys admin or a computer science graduate :D
also i only qualify because my mum was recently made redundant from her job importing cashmere that she did for 20 + years.

also im not bragging i am just happy that a large organisation (if you can call our goverment that) is rewarding me for staying on at school and now i have a little more freedom and more money

Aren't you supposed to use Education Maintenance Allowance for... oh I don't know, Education?

Education and Makeup Allowance, actually, betatch.

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster said:
I wish America paid me for bettering myself. :rolleyes:
The UK government only does it to keep people off the unemployment register - it makes the figures look better.

They know that once people have done all the studying, and finally get a job, that they'll move to another country which treats them better, rather than being taxed to death to pay for yet more ema students...

Face it, once you have a degree in your chosen subject, why would you stay in the UK?

because i like the uk, its my homeland with the best comedy and the best food (yorkshire puddings FTW!!)

I'd have to agree with Squidge on this one. My friends just got himself a rich young lady in Egypt and moved out there last week because he's had enough of this country. I do love those Yorkshire puds though ;)

@Cew27 - you wouldn't happen to be the same Cew27 as the one on the Ubuntu forum would you? If not, welcome anyway :)

Cew27 said:
haha yeah trip good to see ya', recognise that avatar anywhere ;)
Well I do enjoy being unique :p

Personally I don't see the problem with spending the cash on a Pandora. The cash is given to someone for staying on in school and improving their education. This is so they can get a better job when they leave and (as already been stated in this thread) will mean less unemployment. £30 a week for a year or two is nothing compared to £50+ a week for the rest of a persons life Not to mention all the paying out that the government would have to do for extra training, health benefits, housing benefits etc.

The money's his to do with as he pleases and seeing as he's a Linux user and will be able to use the Pandora for coding, administering networks etc. (like I plan on doing) I really don't see the problem. There are a lot worse things that he could be spending it on :)

like hookers (plan b ) :ph34r:
trip im sure i got you on my msn i just cant remember what one is you :p

Cew27 said:
:ph34r: i knew someone was watching me buy that mascara!
Oh no! And so this boy, or how do you say? those transvestites financing there trash life with the holly government money must stop immediatly , it's too much, I just can't tolerate this.
Ah, aaah, ah, my heart! WOuhh, my stomach! Little villain! :angry:

Squidge said:
The UK government only does it to keep people off the unemployment register - it makes the figures look better.

They know that once people have done all the studying, and finally get a job, that they'll move to another country which treats them better, rather than being taxed to death to pay for yet more ema students...

Face it, once you have a degree in your chosen subject, why would you stay in the UK?

Well,
I as a French unemployed person, have been searching for monster.co.uk and have to say there is a lot more careers opportunities in GB or Irland than France or perhps anywere else in Europe, Island is also known for offering great IT job that pay well.
In fact in France, you must have been coached by schools very well to find an enterprise "stage" < sometimes unpaid, to "acquire professionnal experience" wich is _sometimes_ good and benefic, but the rest of the students ( from public middle schools) have to stick in the copier room and change the toner, if they are lucky.

UK minds seems more open, modern> I mean in a company you can prove you talent, then you will have a good (and quick) career if you are good. (France is much more archaic, and there is only a dozen of schools that are respected and permit you to lead a big team...)

A lot of friends works in UK, for "la city", great place to learn trading, economical stuffs, and in IT, you have to admit a lot of strangers come to work in UK too...because of the money... (even if they spend there holiday/week-end in their county if they come from Europe.

Interesting, things I hadn't heard the British point of view on the subject tho.

Sorry for my bad english... :)

Cew27 said:
thanks to the british goverment giving me e.m.a (education maintenance allowance, £30 ($60)) a week for going into higher education i can now get a few thins i have wanted for a while, sutch as a little linux gadget and this seems a perfect little gaming handheld to take with me when i fear a boring teacher or long journey
I never got EMA, I had to earn the money I flaundered away on things. Oh and you fear a boring teacher so you ignore him and play games but you are happy to spend your EMA you are supposed to be getting for listening to said teacher? You are being a little hypocritical there...

jakshep2 said:
lol it'll take you 6 to 7 weeks to save up for a pando, so if you start saving now, you might be able to preorder one.
But he could get a Wiz that much sooner if he wanted too.....

nickspoon said:
I don't get EMA, because I'm too sickeningly middle-class.
I hear you, brother!

Orkie said:
I did get EMA (£10/week) and people like you are the sole cause other people who don't qualify to give grief to those of us who did (/do) get it and use it legitimately.
I agree, i'm always giving Orkie grief about the EMA he got! You are causing him grief!

jakshep2 said:
probably. I can't pretend to be one, because I'm a troll. I like to scare people (rawr!)
You suck at trolling too much to be a troll. Besides, if you are a self admitted troll I see no reason that a moderator shouldn't ban you right now....

They paid me, how do you think I paid for my GP2x? :p

(Actually I had a summer job, bought a PS2 Slim, then sold it to buy a GP2X) I got the grant to attend community college

Peter R said:
Cew27 said:
thanks to the british goverment giving me e.m.a (education maintenance allowance, £30 ($60)) a week for going into higher education i can now get a few thins i have wanted for a while, sutch as a little linux gadget and this seems a perfect little gaming handheld to take with me when i fear a boring teacher or long journey
I never got EMA, I had to earn the money I flaundered away on things. Oh and you fear a boring teacher so you ignore him and play games but you are happy to spend your EMA you are supposed to be getting for listening to said teacher? You are being a little hypocritical there...

its called a joke :p

Had ema for due to a flor in the system at the time the family was earning enough to claim the 30 pounds a week and two weeks after the forms had been sent off and it was all made official my father got a higher paid job which would completely cut the ema out wouldn't even get 10 pounds, so he rang the ema office up this was before i started college and stated the situation and they said that as it has been entered into the system it cannot be changed and I still will get 30 pound a week.

That bought me a xbox 360 an Ipod classic a fair few games booze phone and probably a few other things.

I mean if you give a 16 year old 30 quid a week to spend do they really think im going to buy books with them?

P.S I am now earning my money at a software company not free loading off the government

My kids don't get EMA as I apparently earn too much..

Of course I guess I'm expected to give them £30 a week so they're not worse off!

I sometimes think I should have ditched out of school/college as I know people on _much_ lower incomes who have more money than me to splash out on holidays/cable tv/etc. :huh: Bloody typical of this country.

Anyway (now that's off my chest) welcome to the forum Cew27.

Back