HF4 'Screensaver'

Mr_Loon

Can't Remember
Forgive me if this is a daft question but has some kind of screensaver mode been introduced with HF4 final?

Just noticed today that when playing mp3s with mplayer the screen goes blank after the unit is left untouched for a while (approx 10 - 15 mins). The mp3s keep playing and the screen returns to normal if a key is pressed. Don't remember seeing this behaviour before, or selecting anything that would instigate this behaviour.

It does appear so.

It also apparently contains a bug wherein changing the date triggers it.

I thought that was a feature :p

I couldnt find how to turn it off though. Its not in the power management settings.

Last edited by a moderator:
isnt it a power saving function? turning the display off if not touched for a while? mine does it too? mine was flashed with latest firmware on 31/08/2010 after hf4 had been released.

I welcomed it and its caused no issue. Would be nice to be able to mess with its settings or apply random pics, slideshow etc perhaps even a virtual fish tank, fireplace or pr0n dialler...no wait this isn´t windoze in disguise is it! :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if video playback disabled DPMS. Certainly I watched video using VLC with HF4Beta3 and no problems.

I wouldn't be surprised if video playback disabled DPMS. Certainly I watched video using VLC with HF4Beta3 and no problems.
I watch video in default player and it blanking. Little annoying is that any key act as screen is on. So till I get into it I sometimes type something I don't want :) It is not so bad because it really save energy if I keep laying Pandora on a table and do something other. Just bring setup dialog.

Just tested video playback and it blanks for me too using Mplayer. Am running HF4 final and the Pandora was charging at the time of the test.

I'm pretty sure, though cannot say certain, that HF4 beta 2 did not have the screen blanking feature.

I watch video in default player and it blanking. Little annoying is that any key act as screen is on. So till I get into it I sometimes type something I don't want :) It is not so bad because it really save energy if I keep laying Pandora on a table and do something other. Just bring setup dialog.
use shift, it turns the screen on but doesn't do anything :p

Changing the date often triggers screen savers in OSes; why? Cause the screensavers are set to occur ate X time of inactivity; if the date suddenly jumps a few days forward, then the machine is calculating inactivity to be suddenly many hours, and thus screensaver kicks in. Makes sense :)

jeff

Thought I'd give this a little bump with a couple of specific questions for the official support team, well by that I guess I mean ED. :p

1) Was this screen blanking behaviour added deliberately?

2) How do you turn it off? i.e. stop the screen blanking.

I'll give the method proposed by TSH a go and report back here if no official advice is forthcoming.

Thought I'd give this a little bump with a couple of specific questions for the official support team, well by that I guess I mean ED. :p

1) Was this screen blanking behaviour added deliberately?

Yes.

2) How do you turn it off? i.e. stop the screen blanking.

Well... usually, it shouldn't go on when you use the unit, it uses Linux standards, but it seems it also does this with Linux desktops, need to find out more about it.

Don't know how exactly it works and what reasons it blanks and what not... notaz added it, so I don't know too much about it.

Back