hg clone, mercurial, v4l-dvb and completely new to linux

Abaddon666

Hi,

I'm trying to use the information of this website

http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?p=1378

in order to make my PCTV Nanostick work on my Pandora.

Too bad I'm a complete newbie to linux and the command

"hg clone" doesn't seem to work at all.

After some further webinvestigations I found out that I'll need the mercurial-package.

Isn't it available for Angstrom? I already tried

sudo su

opkg update

opkg install mercurial

but it didn't work. Without "hg clone" I can't seem to get this v4l-dvb stuff installed.

So can anyone help me with this? Could the above mentioned method work for the pandora at all?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

After some further webinvestigations I found out that I'll need the mercurial-package.

Isn't it available for Angstrom? I already tried

sudo su

opkg update

opkg install mercurial

You're doing everything right so far, but you were reading the error messages correctly, Mercurial isn't packaged for Angstrom. You can search for it but nothing comes up. I'd download it from the Mercurial site and then try following the instructions again. You'll also need to install Python (via sudo su; opkg install libpython2.6-1.0) for this to work.

Start here for instructions on getting Mercurial installed. Were Mercurial packaged for Angstrom, opkg install mercurial would be enough, but it's not, so you have to do this by hand.

You're doing everything right so far, but you were reading the error messages correctly, Mercurial isn't packaged for Angstrom. You can search for it but nothing comes up. I'd download it from the Mercurial site and then try following the instructions again. You'll also need to install Python (via sudo su; opkg install libpython2.6-1.0) for this to work.

Start here for instructions on getting Mercurial installed. Were Mercurial packaged for Angstrom, opkg install mercurial would be enough, but it's not, so you have to do this by hand.

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try.

EDIT: Ok, I managed to install python but the "make"-command (needed to install mercurial) is supposed to be unknown. Am I missing some kind of compiler-environment here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you start building software on your pandora have a look in the development section:

As you can read there in the 'Native software development (developing on your Pandora)' link you need to setup a build environment so you can compile software.

You need to install the compiler and other software first.

I don't know if there is an Angstrom equivalent of the build-dep package on debian that installs all the basics you'll need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you start building software on your pandora have a look in the development section:

As you can read there in the 'Native software development (developing on your Pandora)' link you need to setup a build environment so you can compile software.

You need to install the compiler and other software first.

I don't know if there is an Angstrom equivalent of the build-dep package on debian that installs all the basics you'll need.

I already followed the instructions here

http://linux.kewley.name/?cat=5

and skipped the gles and sdl stuff as I thougth this won't be neede in my case. Now the make install command in order to compile and install mercurial leads to an error:

python setup.py build

running build

running build_mo

generating mercurial/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/hg.mo from i18n/zh_CN.po

msgfmt -v -o mercurial/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESAGES/hg.mo i18n/zh_CN.po -c

msgfmt: error while loading shared libraries: libgettextsrc-0.18.so: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory

error: command 'msgfmt' failed with exit status 127

make: *** [build] Error 1

Am I missing something else?

Thx in advance for your help!

Okay, I solved the libgettextsrc-related problem. Got a new one though:

Again trying the "make install"-command I get

[...]

../arm-angstrom-linux-gnuabi/bin/ld: cannot find -lpython2.6

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

error: command 'arm-angstrom-linux-gnuabi-gcc' failed with exit status 1

make: *** [build] Error 1

I searched the web but I can't seem to adapt any of the results to my case.

It's really frustrating to me I must admit. Can't remember having anything this annoying

and frustrating using windows :ph34r:

I guess I better stop messing up my nand and live with the situation as it is as I'd need much

more than my spare time to get anywhere near how this whole linux-stuff is supposed to work *sigh*.

Compiling software is not the same as just installing a programme.

You are probably missing some development (header) packages.

Also, don't run "make install" just yet. Right now you just want to "make" (build the software).

Anyway: use google, read the manual pages. Be diligent. You are treading on l33t level computer usage right now ;)

Can a mod move this to the development section? This is obviously not a Pandora-support issue.

Back