Homebrew competition!!

I think lets make it like "original UFC". No genres, no rules. All submissions should be announced on a thread on the boards, and votes will be submitted by board members on another thread (NO SPAMMING!) (both pinned). Then at the end of March, an official (Craig, ED, or someone else) counts up the votes and announces a winner. Funds should be divided 50%, 30%, 20% for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd respectively, and be collected by entrance fee ($5) or donations for the contest by users. After that competition is up, another one can begin, and so on... It can be like a sports league!

Just be aware that running such a competition might not as easy as saying "let's have a competition" (though I don't know your experience is the field of running competitions :p ).

Anyway, this idea has come up before and was discussed here: http://www.gp32x.de...mer-competition

Sadly this did not go anywhere as nobody apparently had the time to organize it properly.

But you maybe you can take some ideas from that thread or contact some of the "organizers" to give you advice.

Still, make a set of rules (theme/no theme, allowed participants, prices, type of entry, deadline, collabs/ no collabs, neutral person to hold the money, type of judging - "expert" judges vs. community vote or maybe both etc.) and PandoraPress will be happy to blog about the whole event.

To me this whole thing is too vague at the moment (you need a solid framework, imo), but I am very interested if more thoughts are put into this and bring it to a more professional level.

foxblock out

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the idea, implementation could be a bit tricky.

Other contests I've seen run had a definite max() turn in date, and if I remember right the winner was voted on by the community.

I'd actually like to see OpenPandora run a few of these contests, give the guys who've already created a software a chance to enter theirs, and have it run semi-regularly, like once a quarter.

About the only restrictions would be you could only win once for a given piece of software, and maybe a resubmit limit? If you submit for 1st quarter contest you have to wait 1 or 2 quarters before resubmitting to encourage submitting completed, or mostly completed, works.

Wow, remind not to try to start any competitions here. "Say, that's a great idea, but you're going about it all stupid, so we're going to take over".

Anyway, depending on the final rules, I might be willing to kick a couple hundred in the kitty (that word works in the this context, right?). It'd be nice to see a theme/category/whatever for firmware improvements.

I might participate, too. I had a project I started on when I first got my Pandora, but kind of lost interest in when the LCD cable went. This may be the incentive I need to get off my ass (metaphorically) and get back to it. Probably not though.

I'll support any type of competition! I'm only a user, but I would love to vote for a winner or winners in any competition!

Wow, remind not to try to start any competitions here. "Say, that's a great idea, but you're going about it all stupid, so we're going to take over".

A gentleman's competition with no money? Anybody can start it and run it however they want. One that involves $$? A little organization is in order.

Craig had always stated he intended to run coding competitions, but I don't believe the timing was ever right. Not enough units initially, and right this second he and the team should be buried making units.

Yeah, his opinions can be a bit terse sometimes. Heck,mine can be blunt to. Richiz, I think a coding competition is brilliant and hope you aren't put off by the tack comments have taken.

Thanks a lot, well it seems like in very forumstyle everyone barged in said it was crap, left and wanted it official but with Craig not even sleeping I doubt it'll even get done.

*sigh* I may start a new thread stating these are the rules and they are not up for discussion, and if that degenerates` into a discussion of how the competition could be bettered I'll respectfully resign at trying to organise a comp.

Otherwise you just have a thread discussing a homebrew competition and not an actual homebrew competition.

Thanks a lot, well it seems like in very forumstyle everyone barged in said it was crap, left and wanted it official but with Craig not even sleeping I doubt it'll even get done.

*sigh* I may start a new thread stating these are the rules and they are not up for discussion, and if that degenerates` into a discussion of how the competition could be bettered I'll respectfully resign at trying to organise a comp.

Otherwise you just have a thread discussing a homebrew competition and not an actual homebrew competition.
I liked your original rules...

the thing is, if you make it completely open, it's very easy to just repackage another software into a PND. Then what will the judging criteria be? Someone could spend a lot of effort making a homebrew game, while someone else repackages an existing very nice Linux software into a PND in an hour. How do you decide who the prize goes to? In the latter case, wouldn't it be more appropriate if it went to the original author? See, a bit of a problem.

Indeed, this thing needs a more strict set of rules and a definite category setting so judging the different submissions is possible.

While limiting the stuff one can submit, I really don't know yet how one would judge things otherwise...

It's quite difficult to judge things in a way everyone is happy.

As for me I shall play by whatever rules the creator of the competition decides on.

FYI:

I've created a new thread here

http://boards.openpa...ng-competition/

I don't really want to have another discussion as to how the competition is going to be run. That is how its going to be run.

FYI:

I've created a new thread here

http://boards.openpa...ng-competition/

I don't really want to have another discussion as to how the competition is going to be run. That is how its going to be run.

Preview post is a wonderful thing ;)

Your new thread

I also think you may have trouble with people willing to donate prize money to a complete stranger on the internet. I'm sure YOU know you're a trustworthy guy, but how does everyone else?

I know there's no way round it though. What would you propose?

I set the competition to a platforming one for pretty much that reason though. I don't expect to get anywhere near the wiz comp(2600 euros i think). At the end of the day I would prefer it if there was a magical receptacle we could all chuck our money in and just KNOW it's gonna go to the winners. Some things though just have to be trusted. Whats more when people pay me via paypal you'll see my full name and address? It's not the best scam so far is it? I'm pretty sure if I was inclined to steal peoples cash, I wouldn't set it to a platforming comp, I wouldnt set it to a way once you've paid even 1 penny you can see my full name and address and more importantly I'd probably be on a PSP forum. (given the millions of psp owners and the what, 1200 people with pandoras?)

But if 19 people donated a fiver the pot money is £100...so I'd call the competition a success. The winner then get's a nice £50 with 2nd and 3rd getting something little as well and we all get some nice platforming games.

I know when you first read the post your a bit like "what, this sounds like Obaagadagwindgo off FoneJacker". But when you logically think about it...it's a pretty sh*t way of ripping people off.

Something to think about --

This is not the first coding competition, and certianly not the first _here_; why not take a look at other and older compo's and nab some of their rules :)

jeff

edit: That thread says not to reply unles..., so I'll reply here. Is there going to be another one a month or two later then (oran official one); a month is too short a time for me ;) (ie: I think with that time frame, you cannot expect too much pollish or too many entries. Too long is no good either, but I'd say 60 or 90 (too long?) days is better, myself ;)

Something to think about --

This is not the first coding competition, and certianly not the first _here_; why not take a look at other and older compo's and nab some of their rules :)

jeff

edit: That thread says not to reply unles..., so I'll reply here. Is there going to be another one a month or two later then (oran official one); a month is too short a time for me ;) (ie: I think with that time frame, you cannot expect too much pollish or too many entries. Too long is no good either, but I'd say 60 or 90 (too long?) days is better, myself ;)

FYI: English is funny. "pollish" above should be "polish". Which is spelled but not pronounced the same way as the people from Poland: Polish. Which is also the name of a type of sausage. As in: "After eating my Polish, I asked my Polish butler to polish the silverware."

Agreed that future competitions are a good idea. Perhaps after the first one has proven its worth there can be additional ones set up with differing themes and a schedule published 2-3 months in advance to give people time to work on them.

Setting up a donation system for specific games in the competition might be a good idea. (If there are 10 entrants, perhaps I would want to give $2 to each contestant after the fact, or $5 to the 4 I enjoyed for the most.) Is there a way to donate to downloads from the Pandora file archive? I did not see a way, but did not dive deeply.

I'd second a three month long competition. A month isn't really a lot of time to program anything special.

And it'd give people more time to donate.

I'll put some money in the pot, but also what about non-cash prizes? I can buy one of those spare cases now, and when the contest is over, the winner can pick a color, and I'll paint it and send it to them.

Back